Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Madden 2003 "crushes" NFL 2K3

Old 09-25-02, 08:53 PM
Banned

Madden 2003 "crushes" NFL 2K3

Several sites put out press releases today, stating that NFL 2K3 sold 144,000 copies in August, while Madden 2003 sold close to 1.2 million or so... Source

Thoughts?

I was sure this was the first year NFL 2K3 could match Madden. Boy was I wrong. And after playing both on my GC, IMO, NFL 2K3 is far superior.
Old 09-25-02, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Madden was a very good football game, plus its got the great EA sports reputation that Sega Sports is still trying to earn.

NFL 2K3 was my pick, but I had a Dreamcast and already know about the good titles Sega Sports makes. Most gamers probably are unsure of NFL 2K3 and will stick with the game they know Madden 2003.

Hopefully Sega's best sports title NBA 2K3 will sell well and bring more people over to Sega Sports.

This is very bad news for Sega. If they shipped over a million and only sold about 10% of those, I doubt stores will order very many copies of the NFL game next year.

I would expect to see NFL 2K3 marked down soon as stores try to clear their inventory of it.

Last edited by darkside; 09-25-02 at 09:44 PM.
Old 09-25-02, 09:45 PM

For the past 3 years I have got the NFL2kX games and loved them. This yeas I decided to get Madden 2003, and it is great. I love it, I think it is a lot better game then the Sega Sports titles. Awsome game.
Old 09-25-02, 11:01 PM
Banned

Ouch. Although I love Madden better than NFL2K, I still feel bad for Sega, one of the best game companies out there.
Old 09-25-02, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I tried NCAA 2K3 and I didn't like having to use the analog sticks. I never had a dreamcast so I wasn't used to them.
Old 09-26-02, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought they would be just about dead even in sales this year.
Old 09-26-02, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Although an inferior game to NFL 2K3, Madden has the recognizable brand name going for it. Most people just go out and buy their games without reading reviews.....
Old 09-26-02, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by LethaL Nemesis
I thought they would be just about dead even in sales this year.
thought it would be MUCH closer too ... and this from a guy who who's bought every madden since genesis. surprising.
Old 09-26-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, the name counts SO MUCH. Madden is such a known quantity compared to NFL2K games; lots of us have grown up with the series. Most reviews seemed to point to Madden being better as well.
I went with 2K3 largely on the basis of recommendations here and reviews that said it looked and played better, but wasn't as deep. I"m happy with my purchase.
I think it would be unrealistic to expect Sega to come close to Madden's sales, even with a clearly superior game (which it isn't). When most people want to play video football, they say "Let's play Madden". It's hard to compete with that level of recognition.
Old 09-26-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by J-Dubya
I tried NCAA 2K3 and I didn't like having to use the analog sticks. I never had a dreamcast so I wasn't used to them.
Speaking of NCAA 2k3, is it just me or does it feel like a beta version of Madden03? I was playing it last night after picking it up pre-played at blockbuster (buy 2 get 1 free is a hell of a deal for games).

So two things happened that I thought was pretty funny.

1. Kickoff. Receiver goes to catch the ball, misses, ball lands between his feet. He stands there until a teammate runs up to grab the ball.

2. After I scored a touchdown, it played a closeup of the other team's coach. The guy fell down for no apparent reason. He's walking, he falls backwards, he gets up.
Old 09-26-02, 11:33 AM
Banned

Wow, that is a big difference. Most people I have talked to a) have both because they are big football fans or b) they're not really big fans so have Madden because its what they're used to. I have NFL2K3 because I've been playing since Dreamcast.
Old 09-26-02, 11:51 AM

despite the fact that madden is a much better simulation of pure football, it also has some mad marketing push behind it.....

when john madden came on board for MNF, i think he worked a deal with ABC for special advertising....

for example, every time they show an animated situation clip, it comes from Madden 2003...
Old 09-26-02, 11:53 AM

also madden has a MAD following....just go to MaddenMania.com and see for yourself....

now try and find a comparable site for NFL2k3
Old 09-26-02, 12:05 PM
Retired

Not surprising given the brand name recognition of Madden. It is disappointing though as I've always slightly prefered the NFL2Kx games.

Mainly the AI isn't quite as cheap in them as in EAs games. I mean in Madden or NCAA (EA) if you're in a close game at the end of the 4th quarter, the computer is almost always going to have at least a chance to win or tie. The AI simply starts to cheat. When you have the ball and are trying to kill the clock, you're receivers drop everything and you're running back is more likely to fumble.

When the computer has the ball, they are near impossible to stop. No matter what defense you call they're receivers will make catches, even if they're tightly double, or triple covered. Hell even when I tip the ball one of their other receivers catches it about 25% at the end of games.

It's ridiculous and almost ruins the game for me.
Old 09-26-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have heard and read that 2K3 was better than madden, but when it came down to purchase time, I went with what I already knew, Madden. I didn't want to take a risk, and I wanted to join the DVD Talk league.
Old 09-26-02, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by TeeSeeJay
Speaking of NCAA 2k3, is it just me or does it feel like a beta version of Madden03? I was playing it last night after picking it up pre-played at blockbuster (buy 2 get 1 free is a hell of a deal for games).
NCAA 2003 is actually built on the Madden 2002 engine, much like NCAA 2002 does with Madden 2001. It is basically a refined engine of the Madden from the year before.
Old 09-26-02, 01:35 PM

Does anyone think it's funny that ESPN does NFL 2K3 with commentary and presentation, while Madden is also on ABC and promotes Madden 2003. ESPN and ABC are both part of the same parent company Disney, right? Seems like a weird conflict.
Old 09-26-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by alexkat
Does anyone think it's funny that ESPN does NFL 2K3 with commentary and presentation, while Madden is also on ABC and promotes Madden 2003. ESPN and ABC are both part of the same parent company Disney, right? Seems like a weird conflict.
Actually, what I think is funny is that Gameday 2003 (aka POS 2k3) has a promotion where you can get 6 months of ESPN the Magazine with purchase. I guess then you can read about how you just bought the wrong game
Old 09-26-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by alexkat
ESPN also has a big NFL Fever 2003 ad on the top of the NFL page on their website....
Old 09-26-02, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another weird thing is that Sony chose to package a playable online demo of Madden with their Network Adaptor. Did they realize that their Gameday franchise is so horrible, that letting people preview it would only drive them away?

I got NFL2K3, even though most people indicated it was a dead-even race, mainly because I've played it on DC and it has the option of playing 2 on 2 online. I'm very pleased with the purchase. But the difference between the Madden online community and 2K3's is like night and day. Madden is always packed, and 2K3 is pretty sparse. Still, I can't believe the discrepency is so great in sales... you'd think at the very least some Madden fans would've picked up 2K3 by accident, since the case designs are pretty similar...

Well, although I haven't seen the newest NBA Live, I'm pretty confident that NBA 2K3 will blow it out of the water...
Old 09-26-02, 03:56 PM
Banned

NBA 2K3 will crush Live, no doubt.

At least I hope so.
Old 09-26-02, 04:00 PM
Banned

Originally posted by fujishig
you'd think at the very least some Madden fans would've picked up 2K3 by accident, since the case designs are pretty similar...

How do you know they didn't?
Old 09-26-02, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mike_AA
NBA 2K3 will crush Live, no doubt.

At least I hope so.
It better or I've lost all faith in society. Live is a terrible basketball game.
Old 09-26-02, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NFL2k3 IS the better game. And when Xbox goes Live it will have tons of online options that Madden doesn't have. Then again, Madden doesn't even get to go online on Xbox. Madden sells on the reputation and name, and don't get me wrong, it's still a very good game. I just prefer 2k3 much more. The graphics and the feel of the game seems better.
Old 09-26-02, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by V-ism
NFL2k3 IS the better game. And when Xbox goes Live it will have tons of online options that Madden doesn't have. Then again, Madden doesn't even get to go online on Xbox.
Madden is always a good game, but this is why NFL2K3 gets my vote.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.