DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   XBOX and my new HDTV (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/239278-xbox-my-new-hdtv.html)

finbogg 09-25-02 12:28 PM

XBOX and my new HDTV

OMG! :jawdrop:

I just got a new TV last night (Samsung Flat-tube HDTV). Needless to say, the first thing I hooked up was my XBOX (with the HDTV adapter).

What a world of difference. It looks so incredible!
I love the fact that I can go into the XBOX and turn on the 480p and 1080i settings. Widescreen too!

The amount of detail I can pick up now is amazing. Enclave looked phenomonal and HALO blew me away (in widescreen).

Anyone else had a chance to check out XBOX in Hi-Def?

Adam Tyner 09-25-02 12:31 PM

Halo doesn't have a 16x9 mode -- you're playing it stretched. Also, there aren't any 1080i games currently on the market, so enabling that option doesn't offer any real benefit at the moment. If you're impressed with what you're seeing now, though, give Dead or Alive 3 a spin.

My 36" VVega doesn't support 480p, unfortunately, but the image I'm getting sure is purty.

Gromit 09-25-02 12:37 PM

The only bad part: once you get used to it, it loses that OMG! factor. I should hook my Xbox up to my old TV just so I can appreciate the 480p picture. :)

finbogg 09-25-02 12:43 PM

Originally posted by ctyner
Halo doesn't have a 16x9 mode -- you're playing it stretched. .
It looked okay...I had the TV and the XBOX set to Widescreen. It was still letterboxed though. I honestly didn't get into too far (it was getting late) so it could have been stretched.

finbogg 09-25-02 12:44 PM

Originally posted by ctyner
. Also, there aren't any 1080i games currently on the market, so enabling that option doesn't offer any real benefit at the moment.

So does the XBOX just output the best signal available then (480p vs 1080i)?

Any idea when we'll get the full glory of 1080i?

Icculus 09-25-02 12:53 PM

I just had a Panasonic widescreen hdtv delivered yesterday and I was thinking the same thing - I can't believe how incredible these games look. The stretch isn't too bad so even 4:3 games look beautiful. So far I have the HD kit for the Xbox but only s-video for the GCN and PS2 (both still look really good by the way). I'm going to order the component cables for the GCN soon, I can't wait to see mario in 480p :D.

It looked okay...I had the TV and the XBOX set to Widescreen. It was still letterboxed though. I honestly didn't get into too far (it was getting late) so it could have been stretched.

Doing that with 4:3 material will just squish everything down, things must have looked abnormally short and fat.

Adam Tyner 09-25-02 01:58 PM

Originally posted by finbogg
Given the nature of the characters and level designs in "Halo", the distortion isn't as obvious as it would've been in other games.

So does the XBOX just output the best signal available then (480p vs 1080i)?

Any idea when we'll get the full glory of 1080i?

The currently available "Street Hoops" is 720p, and "Dragon's Lair 3D" will be 1080i. I don't believe any other genuine HD titles have been announced, but I may be mistaken. You're more likely to see 720p than 1080i on the XBox, though somewhat annoyingly, not a whole lot of sets support 720p anymore.

Edit -- pretend I appended "without upconverting" to that last sentence :)

AgtFox 09-25-02 02:13 PM

Re: XBOX and my new HDTV

I just got a new TV last night (Samsung Flat-tube HDTV). Needless to say, the first thing I hooked up was my XBOX (with the HDTV adapter).
Looking for a roomate? (j/k) :D

One of these days I'll have the money to buy an HDTV...one of these days.

el_jer 09-25-02 02:24 PM

Look at Rallisport Racing and Enclave which both support 16x9 and look fantastic on a HD capable projector. I am play them on a 120" screen and they are intense. I will buy Dragons Lair for picture fidelity alone.

finbogg 09-25-02 04:36 PM

Re: Re: XBOX and my new HDTV

Originally posted by AgtFox
Looking for a roomate? (j/k) :D

I got a roommate, thanks!
You're not too far away, stop on by and play some HALO. :D

I did play Enclave and it looked fabulous. I didn't try it in 16x9, that'll be a project for tonight.

Gallant Pig 09-25-02 04:45 PM

Northeast Minneapolis here I come!! :D

edstein 09-25-02 10:33 PM

Sounds like a DVDTalk party is about to happen at finbogg's crib :D

Spiderbite 09-26-02 12:23 AM

I know exactly how you feel. I was impressed with the Xbox on my little 36 inch WEGA. Then I bought a 65 inch Mitsu 16x9 last week. My jaw dropped to say the least.

Check this thread out. It is a great list of Xbox (and other companies) games that are 480p and 16x9: http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...&threadid=8539

Halo is definitely stretched but still looks great. Rallisport & DOA3 are just sick!!! And more are coming. Enjoy!

Shuki 09-26-02 05:12 AM

HDTV isn't even available here yet :lol: And when it becomes available I have no doubt it will be no less that ~$10,000 USD -eek-

Spiderbite 09-26-02 08:16 AM

Also found this link: http://144.92.43.200/hdg/

AgtFox 09-26-02 08:24 AM

Re: Re: Re: XBOX and my new HDTV

You're not too far away, stop on by and play some HALO. :D
I suck at Halo (always have sucked at FPS games in multiplayer), I guarantee every MN person who owns an X-Box on this board could kick my ass on Halo...heh.

finbogg 09-26-02 11:53 AM

Originally posted by edstein
Sounds like a DVDTalk party is about to happen at finbogg's crib :D

More like a DVD support group. :D