Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Share your Xbox Live experiences!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Tuan Jim
Some guys at teamxbox.com were saying that it actually works to boil the disk for a few seconds to fix load issues.

Tuan Jim
That technique works better for PS2 games. The best fix for XBox load issues is to microwave the disc for about 10 seconds.* That should solve all your problems. Thank the gods that there are no load issues with gamecube games.

* Disclaimer: Try at your own risk. Diacritic will not be held liable for any damage caused to your property.
Old 09-29-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
I think Microsoft is working hard to make it so the Xbox Live network has no lag... Halo online (without Live support) will often be laggy. I don't know why Fever would run terrible... maybe they're working the bugs out or else there's a problem with the net code.
No, but what I find weird, is that I was using 2k3 through Live. So that's why I was shocked when it ran so perfectly. You would think Fever would run better, since they have been working on it for a month now. Oh well, maybe it's my disk. I think I might to boil mine.
Old 09-30-02, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by diacritic
That technique works better for PS2 games. The best fix for XBox load issues is to microwave the disc for about 10 seconds.* That should solve all your problems.
Mmmmmmmmm, Can I have a Dvd with cheese please! If you put in you disc for 11 secs, it's toast!
Old 09-30-02, 10:15 AM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

but my disc was spinning up and down for minutes on end before getting me into the race

Some guys at teamxbox.com were saying that it actually works to boil the disk for a few seconds to fix load issues. Dunno if
Seriously, boil both of your disks for 20-30 seconds. This is not a joke and will fix these problems. I know it sounds ridiculous. You should have access to the official beta testers forum at xbox.com. Go there and you will see literally hundreds of posts on this matter.

When i got my Live disc last week, it stuttered and skipped so bad that I could not even navigate the menu! I boiled it for 25 seconds and it works PERFECTLY. Initially, I didn't boil my Fever disc, but after a disconnect last night (which I knew was caused by the disc b/c of the repeated spinning up and down--i.e. difficulty reading) I decided to do so. Whereas before the boiling Fever took probably 45 seconds to a minute to load, now it comes up in just a few seconds.

It is a world of difference. Boil your disks. You really can't mess it up as long as you do it for less than 30 seconds. For those who want exact directions:
1) Bring 4 inches or so of water to a good, rolling boil in a pot big enough so that you can keep the disc away from the sides.
2) Run a piece of plain, unwaxed dental floss OR some fishing line through the hole in the center of the disc.
3) Use the line or floss to lower the disc face down (shiny side down, label up) into the boiling water. The disc will sort of float on top. Try to keep it away from the sides of the pot (and the bottom, though the floating usually takes care of this).
4) Keep the disc in the water for 20-30 seconds and no more (use a watch for accuracy).
5) Remove, dry off with a clean lint-free cloth (a cotton t-shirt for example). Either pat dry or wipe in lines from center to edge (not in circular motion!). Be sure to dry the area inside the hole very well as water can get trapped in there.
6) Let the disc cool down. Play! Notice the improvement. Be astounded.
7) Repeat with other disc.

The usual disclaimers apply, I am not responsible if you mess up your disc etc.

THIS DOES WORK!
Old 09-30-02, 12:20 PM

Disclamier: Do NOT drink the disc flavored water.
Old 09-30-02, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Still no problems with the Fever disc, but the beta disc hasn't really improved after boiling. How do you request a new one?

Tuan Jim
Old 09-30-02, 03:55 PM

Stolen from Xbox.com:

Then call Xbox Customer Care at 1-800-4MY-XBOX for further assistance.
Old 09-30-02, 05:22 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Still no problems with the Fever disc, but the beta disc hasn't really improved after boiling. How do you request a new one?

Tuan Jim
Really? I have not heard of anyone it hasn't worked for. Did you have it face down in a rolling boil? Personally, I would call MS and then try it again for another 30 seconds. I know it is scary, but you really have nothing to lose if it isn't working. MS will send you new disks (whether those will work who knows) but they will likely take at least a week. In the meantime, boil away. If you do destroy the disk, no harm b/c it didn't work anyway.

Also, I can tell you that at least SOME of the disconnects people are experiencing in Fever is a result of bad disks. Again, I would (and did) boil it to make sure, but that's just me.
Old 10-01-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had a struggle with Xbox Live last night. My friend is in the beta program and he invited me over to watch Monday night football. I got there early so I could check out live. We had to boil the disk twice to get it working, but after that it worked fine. We played the racing game for a little while but it got old fast. I wanted to play football. I started 7 games, but never finished one. Finally, the 8th game I played through to the end. It was pretty cool, although I think Fever is not as good as Madden or 2k3. I think the voice thing is neat, but it was choppy. It seemed like every time I pushed a button I would lose the voice, then it would come back. Pretty neat though. All in all, it was frustrating trying to get a game in, but the one game I did play was very fun. I'm hoping to get an Xbox after the program goes live.... I would say they are on the right track, but still have lots of work to do. Anyway, thats my experience.
Old 10-01-02, 02:35 PM

I was having a blast last night. I played about an hour and a half of revolt, with four other guys. We originally started with six and kept having people drop out of the race. After restarting the server (clears dead cars from the track), we figured out which four kept coming back to the same server, and so we locked the server down to four players.

Re-volt, while not being the best game in the world, is a very fun arcadey racer. Most everyone is who is winning is using the Evil Toyeca, with two notable exceptions:

1. UFO - which is the only vehicle that can utilize shortcuts. To find the shortcuts, start a race by yourself (using the ufo, duh!), and race the track backwards. You will see other roads, that the other cars can't get to, and those are your shortcuts. Now race the track normally practicing the new shortcuts.

2. Panga - now everytime I have used the panga...It sucks, but I played this guy who beat everyone, everytime using the panga. I don't know what his secret was but he was winning.

Just a couple of my experiences.

See you out there!
-goLucky
Old 10-02-02, 05:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just to update, I haven't boiled my discs yet (I am going to) but I am noticing a huge update in quality of games of Fever. I suffered a disconnect last night, but I know it was the other guy because he said his connection has been lagging all day, while on the game before I played him it ran flawlessly. I have yet to play Revolt because it has frozen everytime I try to start the damn race or 3 seconds in. That disc is definitely getting boiled. Overall I'm really excited about Xbox Live, and I'm not even that big of a football fan, but having a person to play just makes me not care. I actually have been doing pretty good so far, although I think it's just because I'm using the Raiders lol. Hope to see you guys online.
Old 10-02-02, 10:39 AM

So far, I like the concept of Xbox live. THe only problem I have is the games so far. I hate NFL Fever and Revolt is just OK. I might need to pickup NFL2K3 and see how well it works with Xbox live.
Old 10-04-02, 01:12 PM

Yesterday, I played three games of Fever with several players!

The first one was four (yes, 4) people on one xbox against me. I kept watching all of those colored circles bouncing from player to player as the other team decided on which player to use! It was very cool. Unfortunately, when I started beating him I get a message that a network connectivity issue has caused the game to cancel. I think they just pulled the (network) plug on the xbox.

For the second game I called a friend of mine over to try this multiple players on my xbox. Him and I played two games (1-1) the first game was lost because of and interception (My friend and I v. one player), and the second game was won on an interception touchdown in overtime(my friend and I v. two other players) ! It was quite fun, and I highly recommend playing football with guests.

-Lucky
Old 10-06-02, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I had the worst Live experience and it had nothing to do with connectivity. I was picking my team and settled on the Raiders and the guy I was against was on the 49ers. So I pick my team, and lo and behold we start the game and he is now the NFC. That little cheater waited for me to pick my team and then switched to the NFC team. What a crock that was. He proceeded to play a no huddle offense pretty much the whole offense and battered me, as that team seems to be invincible, running through my line and burning my defenders. What a cheap trick. Other than that game though I have played many cool people so it really wasn't that big of a deal. Mercifully the game disconnected with like two minutes left in the fourth quarter.
Old 10-07-02, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That sounds a LOT like Madden online. I've played 5 games total. You just don't know what you're getting into.

No huddle, going for 2 every time, never punting, etc. just isn't fun football to me. Sure there are ways to beat cheap players like that, but it's still not fun.
Old 10-07-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't care if you pick the NFC, but at least SAY SOMETHING so I can go and pick the AFC so at least it's fair. But to whip my ass because your team has a ridiculous unfair advantage is just poor sportsmanship in my book. And then to rub it in by throwing as many plays as possible to run up the score, it just made me want to find the guy and punch his heart through his chest.
Old 10-07-02, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Welcome to online gaming with 9 yr olds.

That's why I am not the least bit excited about all this "online" gaming boom. If I have some faraway friends to play with, then I might consider, but I have ZERO interests in playing videogames with kids who disconnect when losing, or finding ways (and there are always plenty of ways, esp in sport games) to exploit a game just to win.

No, not fun. More frustration than anything else (and I have had plenty of that abuse going online 6 years ago on my comp
Old 10-07-02, 11:19 AM

spainlinx0,
I've run into the same issue of people changing to the AFC or NFC at the last second. It was 14 to 0 before the first 5 minute quarter was over. very sukekekeke. I was thinking what's the point. I took the rest of the game, but I came back and won.

I know that it sucks playing with 9 year olds, but it sure feels good to beat them. The 9 year olds only know one or two tricks. Change them defense via an audible at the line and kick some arse.

Good luck
-Lucky
Old 10-07-02, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the fun in online gaming is that you can setup leagues and play friends. If you play random people you know that they very well could be cheese-orific.
Old 10-08-02, 08:38 AM

Wow, this xbox live you speak of sounds fun, November can't come any sooner, I already got my copy of NFL 2k3 and just waiting.

A couple of questions about the live software, can you create rooms with passwords, like for say dvdtalk and then just let dvdtalkers in there? How about a buddy list, is that already implemented?
Old 10-08-02, 09:57 AM

Originally posted by zerotl
Wow, this xbox live you speak of sounds fun, November can't come any sooner, I already got my copy of NFL 2k3 and just waiting.

A couple of questions about the live software, can you create rooms with passwords, like for say dvdtalk and then just let dvdtalkers in there? How about a buddy list, is that already implemented?
You cannot create rooms, but you can create games. You can only allow friends to be invited to those games.

Yes the friends list is already implemented. Note: You currently cannot break the friends list into any catagories like: Football, Re-volt, or Dvdtalk. I have added about 30 people my friends list, and can't remember who I've played on which game.

I still haven't played a DVDtalker yet, because they usally are in the middle of a game, or I am.
Old 10-08-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm just curious goLUCKY. I sent you an invite while you were in the middle of a Fever game. I was just wondering if you got the invite because I don't think I ever got an invite while in the middle of a game. Did you get it and just cancel? I'm not going to get offended I was just curious if the invite system is working right.
Old 10-08-02, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by spainlinx0
I'm just curious goLUCKY. I sent you an invite while you were in the middle of a Fever game. I was just wondering if you got the invite because I don't think I ever got an invite while in the middle of a game. Did you get it and just cancel? I'm not going to get offended I was just curious if the invite system is working right.
I never saw it. Sorry

I sent you one, then waited, waited, waited. But since you where still in-game, and I wanted to play real bad, hit (b) and selected quick game. I think that canceled my invite to you. When you are in-game what does an invite look like? I don't think that I've seen one, and I'm not sure what I'm looking for. I've seen them on the friends list, but not in-game. It looks like an envelope next you a gamertag on the friends list.

-Lucky
Old 10-09-02, 12:05 AM

spainlinx0,
I had a blast playing you last night in Fever. I wish we didn't get a network congestion error. I call for a re-match Wed. @ about 10pm central time or you can pick a time! Sorry I could rematch with you tonight....but gotta work sometime. I'd rather play.. Maybe now you can watch some Sarah Michelle Gellar action.

-Lucky