Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Xbox Live Headset FAQ

Old 09-23-02, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Xbox Live Headset FAQ

I have been reading and hearing from various sources about people wanting to replace the XBOX headset. The XBOX communicator looks real sharp, but can end up being a real pain. So I did a little reasearch about what alternative headsets/earpieces exist. Of course, during a beta there is little information about the headset out there, but did that stop me? NO, now I was on a mission. So I dug a little deeper, and found out that I could use just about any mobile/cordless phone headset. Have I fully tested this? No, cause I'm still at work, and can't get to my xbox right now. I do plan on trying to testing this tonight, if I have the time.

Here are some of the information I dug up when looking for a headset replacement:

It must be a mono-headset with microphone.
It must have only one 2.5mm or 3/32" plug.
It must have two dark bands on the plug.
Motorola cellphone earbuds should work.
Some Jabra earbuds will work. (The ones with two bands)
Nokia earbuds will not work. (note: three bands)
Plantronics M175 is supposed to work.

I have also been hearing about people wanting to share the voice with their guest, but don't want to buy a second LIVE account.

The workaround (I have not tested this yet) is to buy a 2.5 mm Y connector (think radioshack). Plug in both headsets into the Y adapterand then you get sound and speech from both people on one account.

-goLuCKY
Old 09-25-02, 11:53 AM
RVP

Thanks fot the info, i was wondering about options for the headset as I find many headphone styles to be uncomfortable.
I wonder how long after lauunch until there are 3rd party headsets available?
Old 10-18-02, 04:29 PM

goLucky did you get a new headset or test the sharing capability?
Old 10-18-02, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Didn't do the sharing test, but I keep reading on the Xbox live forum, that it does work with that splitter. Some people are even piping the second jack sound to those mini speakers that you would use with walkmen.

As for the motorola headset. It works great, except for the fact that my wife made me give it back to her.

-Lucky