Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Robotech: Battlecry for 36.99

Old 09-22-02, 09:12 AM

Robotech: Battlecry for 36.99

For those of you looking to pick this one up-

Robotech:Battlecry for PS2 and X-Box will be on sale for 36.99 at Circuit City when it becomes available this Wednesay (9/25).

There is also a review for the X-box version on IGN:

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/371/371623p2.html

Closing Comments
Robotech:Battlecry quickly satisfied the Robotech fan in me with its excellent attention to detail in the Veritech fighters. I recommend skipping the tutorial mode just to get the thrill of flying a VF-1 that was 17 years in the making. I do have to admit that it became a different kind of game beyond the first chapter, where the bulk of the familiar Robotech-Macross Saga stories take place. It's a fun arcadey shooter that requires a new set of skills thanks to the transformations but the mountain of missions that sort of run together after awhile prevent Robotech from being a truly great game.
Fans of the show should definitely pick this one up for your favorite system, not because it's another piece of memorabilia, but because it's a nice, controllable manifestation of a show you love. Console gamers who could care less about a Robotech license will appreciate the transforming, hectic style of combat this game offers, but will likely run into the same walls I did after awhile. That said, we'll all be on the lookout for the sequel (it's called Battlecry for a reason) and the promise of enhanced everything.

-- Aaron Boulding

Presentation
A whole lot of cinemas plus a storyline that parallels the good old Macross saga make for a winning combo. 8.0
Graphics
Cel-shaded but without being obnoxious. Outstanding animation in the Veritechs and splendid little details. 8.0
Sound
A game like this needed to be in full surround sound. The excellent music and original voice actors almost make up for it. 7.0
Gameplay
Great at first because it's a new type of action-shooter, but novelty wears off way before the 40+ levels are through. 8.0
Lasting Appeal
The two player mode really isn't worth much, but there's a lot of missions to get through as a solo player if you're that into Robotech. 7.0
OVERALL SCORE (not an average)
Old 09-22-02, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sweet. that's a bargain.
Old 09-23-02, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

HDTV 480P but not sure about 16:9. Looks nice on the 65" HDTV. The Characters dont look stretched so probaly 16:9.

Very easy controls to learn but takes awhile to master becuase the buttons do different things depending on the mode your in.
Old 09-23-02, 06:19 PM

This deserves a bump!
Old 09-23-02, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
This one is sounding very cool!
Old 09-23-02, 08:04 PM

I must say that this game it top notch! If you have any remote interest in the series go buy this game ASAP. The opening intro alone will give you goosebumps, it took me back to the good'ole days of Robotech on TV.
Great game.
Old 09-23-02, 08:43 PM
Suspended

So how long is the sale on - or is that normal price? And - any idea when the Gamecube version is out?
Old 09-24-02, 09:37 AM

That's an awesome price...I already have it paid in full at EB, but I'm thinking about buying it from CC and using my credit at EB towards something else.

I'm pretty sure that this Saturday will be the last day it's on sale. The gamecube version comes out next month.
Old 09-24-02, 01:14 PM

There's an even awesome-er price on the website!! It's listed as $29.99 at circuit city's online store:

robotech at circuit city

I just ordered mine, this is a HOT deal
Old 09-24-02, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's for the Ps2 version - what about the Xbox version? It's showing 49 bucks and out of stock.
Old 09-24-02, 02:38 PM

yikes! i just checked again, and now the ps2 version is sold out-that was fast
Old 09-24-02, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Would this be worth the wait for the GC version, or should I go ahead and just grab it for my PS2?
Old 09-24-02, 03:46 PM

For those of you who live in NYC:

29.99 at the Union Square store and it is in stock now. I'm leaving work early and heading out to pick that and the new Underworld CD up!
Old 09-24-02, 04:11 PM

Originally posted by KingSmoth
Would this be worth the wait for the GC version, or should I go ahead and just grab it for my PS2?
Since it's more or less a air combat shooter (with a few obvious twists), I would get the one whose controller you like the best for those types of games.

Since I only have a PS2, I can tell you that I have no problems with their controls
Old 09-24-02, 07:26 PM

Thanks for the heads up, bedhead_75. I was able to snag a copy before they sold out.
Old 09-24-02, 07:59 PM

Ugh- so I go to the CC in Union Square and don't see any copies on the shelf. So I ask a salesperson if "Robotech is in stock, I called and was told so but I don't see any etc. etc.". And she replies "Robohuh?" and then proceeds to check for about thirty seconds in the back room and comes out and asks "Are there any on the floor?".
Old 09-24-02, 09:25 PM

Anyone know if there's any plans to make a PC version of Robotech either now or sometime in the future?

Chris
Old 09-24-02, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I snared a copy on Xbox at CC for 29.99 as a PS2 pricematch - thanks to the efforts of a confused salesperson. I even tried my luck on that old Morrowind printout for 10.99. Didn't work, but it was worth a shot.

As for the game... I've only spent about an hour with it so far and I'm already bored. I hate the controls... Gunvalkry is easier to manage (and GV is notorious for shoddy controls). I'm sure if I ever get the hang of it, I'll get more interested in the game. The sound isn't even real surround - it sounds like mono coming out of 4 speakers - they ignored the center channel and the subwoofer. The graphics are really nice - especially for a game that spans all 3 consoles. The gameplay is just target and fire. It could've been totally easy except they made it really difficult by implimenting terrible controls. I had played the PS2 version at E3 and I thought the xbox controller would improve some of the issues I had with the odd control sceme. It didn't. It's maybe even a little worse.

Fans of the series are definitely going to want to pick this up. As much as I watched Robotech, I always just found it to be completely boring. I wanted to like it, but I never did. I would just watch it even though I didn't like it. That's proably what I'll do with this game. It'll end up on half.com within a few weeks if I don't develop an appreciation for it.
Old 09-24-02, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh lord. Is there finally another X-Box game worth buying so I can own more than Halo?

Has JSRF hit $19 yet?