Search this Thread

Old 09-22-02, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When is metal of honor coming out for GC or XBOX
Old 09-24-02, 11:57 PM
Retired

I'm passing on this for now. The "same old treasure hunt gameplay" comment turned me off. I can get plenty of that looking for blue coins in Mario Sunshine.

I played the demo of this the other day, and was fairly underwhelmed, though admittadly it's not the type of game you can judge by spending 10 minutes with a demo.

But these two things combined are enough to make me pass and pick up Castlevania for the GBA instead as I can't afford both right now.
Old 09-25-02, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Im thinking about it. I like adventure games, and seeing as how MS now owns Rare this will probably be the last we see of Rare on a Nintendo system. I know StarFox belongs as a space shooter but never fear Namco is here. Namco is developing a SF shooter so there is hope.
Old 09-25-02, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
No. I'm sick of the same Rare formula.
Old 09-25-02, 12:33 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by juiio
No. I'm sick of the same Rare formula.
Ditto. This game doesn't look interesting at all.
Old 09-25-02, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sick of the rare formula? Rare hasn't made a game in two years, and won't make one after this for GC. It's been a while since Zelda, and this looks like a worthwhile purchase.

Better, in any case, it sounds better than Sly Cooper, which I was holding up hopes for. Next not to deliver: Blinx, Malice, and that PS2 platformer about the robot from the Spyro team.
Old 09-25-02, 10:09 AM
Retired

What's the point of posting random speculation about games on the PS2 and X-box not released yet that you think will be dissapointing in a thread about whether or not you'll buy Star Fox?

I could care less if Rare hasn't put out a game in 2 years, they wore out there treasure hunt formula, and if this game is true to the reviews and more of that crap, I'm not going to bother with it.
Old 09-25-02, 01:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I will not. Why? not to thread crap or anything, but star fox should be in the sky.. not the land.. fighting dino's.. that is for another game. I want Fox Flying in the sky.
Can't agree more. If there was a Starfox game in the sky for the GC, it'd be huge. I can only imagine how amazing that would be.

But back to the topic, NO, I won't be getting this one. Won't even rent it. Just seems uninteresting, repetitive and sloppy.
Old 09-25-02, 01:34 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Mike_AA
Can't agree more. If there was a Starfox game in the sky for the GC, it'd be huge. I can only imagine how amazing that would be.
Namco is making one called Star Fox Armada. It should be out next year.
Old 09-25-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

btw this game rules haha
Old 09-25-02, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Namco is making one called Star Fox Armada. It should be out next year.
Im looking forward to it. . Since I never bought SF64 I recently picked it up at work, and I got the rumple pack for like 2 bucks more.
Old 09-27-02, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

The "same old treasure hunt gameplay" comment turned me off.
I don't know what the EGM guys were smoking, but this comment is total bologna. It has no more treasure hunting gameplay than any other action RPG.
Old 09-27-02, 02:33 PM
Retired

So there's no more wandering around, find this, take it there, crap gameplay than the N64 Zeldas?

In that case I may check it out, but there's still so many games coming out I want to play, that this just isn't high on my priority list. If the Demo had impressed me more, I'd probably pick it up based just on your comment that it's not primarly "find and deliver crap" gameplay.
Old 09-27-02, 02:34 PM

I think StarFox adventure will be the game of the year*!

*that's a joke. I'm not buying this crap feast!
Old 09-27-02, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll be sure to bump this thread every few days to see if you've changed your mind.
Old 09-27-02, 02:52 PM
Retired

I'm trying to talk myself out of buying it because I really can't afford it.

I do appreciate the info on in not being a "treasure hunt" and would like more details as other reviewers (i.e. both reviews up on Planet Gamecube) also complained about treasure hunt gameplay. It wasn't just the one EGM review.
Old 09-27-02, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm honestly not really trying to sell it...I'm maybe 4 hours in, and while it's fun it's not overly challenging or innovative. Maybe it'll get more interesting later on, but for now I can't see myself ever replaying it. But then again, that's exactly how I felt about Jak and Daxter (the epitome of been there, done that gameplay), and a lot of people loved it.
Old 09-27-02, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by Aghama
I'll be sure to bump this thread every few days to see if you've changed your mind.

I know, I know....I'll break down and buy it...and they rave how great it is! But before I play it I'lll call it a crap feast Hell I called Mario Sunshine a crap feast before I played it...now I love that sucka! (for that week)
Old 09-29-02, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My friend and I beat it yesterday afternoon.

Towards the end we were getting tired of some of the repetition (excluding Dragon Rock), but the final battle was AWESOME, difficult, and a complete surprise for us.
Old 09-29-02, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I rented this game this weekend, its pretty awesome! Its got the polish you'd expect from rare (and 5 years of development i might add). The graphics are the most spectacular I have seen for a 3D adventure game with the detail, shadows, reflection, but its also pretty fun to play. I haven't gotten too far but I am really enjoying it. Some of the voice acting is funny, i think for Krystal they did the same banjo voice trick but used whole words instead of just "uh uh oi uh oi." Overall I definitely reccomend this title, sadly it seems like the release of this game has been overshadowed by the Rare buyout from MS. It also sounds like a lot of you have already written this game off without playing it, but it is much better than the demo they have in the stores(which is why i despise demos). Even for you people that think Star Fox belongs in space, don't pass this game up, the game is still a quality Adventure title!
Old 09-29-02, 03:25 PM

Outlaw, Dude I also rented it. It's pretty decent! What I think also hurt this game is that everyone has been playing Mario and are now just bored of playing these types of games.....which is why I didn't buy it. I'm too saturated with plat formers! I'll surely pick up this game later on this year at half.com heck its Rare's last game with Nintendo.

(Nintendo side XBOX side )
Old 09-29-02, 04:56 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Outlaw
Some of the voice acting is funny, i think for Krystal they did the same banjo voice trick but used whole words instead of just "uh uh oi uh oi."
I believe Krystal is speaking Dinosaur. I haven't turned on the Dino Subtitles to compare and make sure, however.

I don't think I've played a game with as many hills and valleys as this one. One level sucks, the next one is great and gets my hopes up, and then another crappy level comes along. At least the graphics are consistant...consistantly wonderful!