DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Console Games too expensive? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/238193-console-games-too-expensive.html)

finbogg 09-20-02 10:57 AM

Console Games too expensive?

Anyone else think that $50 is too much to pay for the average console game?

Personally, I find it hard to make impulse buys on games when they're $50 a shot. There are lots of games that look good but it's too much cash to risk. I just can't plop down that kind of cash on a game that might suck. Unless I know the game is great, like HALO or GTA III, I can't get myself to do it. I usually wait until it's been out for awhile and get it on ebay.

PC games are much easier to justify because they usually go on sale shortly after release and end up being $35.

I know renting is the best option, and I do it from time to time. But I wonder if the game makers would sell more games if they dropped them to $35-$40, and still make money?

focker 09-20-02 11:20 AM

I would love to see games drop into the $35-40 range, and I would definitely buy more games if they did. I don't know if it's going to happen though. It seems like they've been $50 for a long time now.

neiname 09-20-02 11:22 AM

Out of the amount of time you spend with the games I think $50 is a good number. Remember. there were times when some console games were $85-90, Sword of Vermillion and Phantasy Star, while the rest of the ranges from $40 to 50.

NN

lesterlong 09-20-02 11:35 AM

I think its a fair price compared to DVDs at $20. I don't think I have ever bought a video game on impulse, reviews always factor into the decision.

young 09-20-02 12:03 PM

just wait... prices tend to drop. i think $50 is too much also (even w/ the amount of time of entertainment it provides).

but compare that to decent shows like musicals and it's not too bad... just has that stigma of frivolousness.

pick up some great games for the PS2 - the best seller series (total brain freeze... i forget what it's called).

remjim 09-20-02 12:13 PM

Not to defend the companies but....

Video game prices have been at the fifty dollar point for quite some time despite the rising production costs.

Still, I would love it if games were around forty. I would also go for used games in retail stores if they weren't only five bucks off of the original price!

Draven 09-20-02 12:16 PM

I remember going to Kay-Bee with my friend who had a Genesis and buying "Strider" for $80 bucks when it first came out. $50 doesn't seem like too much to me.

It only sucks when I don't feel like playing the game again. Then I would rather just rent. But I usually only buy what I know I am going to like, so I've never really felt it was too much.

That said, I look for $20-40 used/Greatest Hits games as much as possible.

Zodo 09-20-02 12:56 PM

50 bucks isn't too bad if it's a long game and/or has multiplayer capabilities.
Something like Super monkey ball can be played an infinite number of hours, so I can easily justify paying 50 for it.
Something like Resident Evil may only be worth renting since it's not that long of game and after you beat it you're pretty unlikely to pick it up again.

I made the choice of renting Eternal Darkness, instead of buying, and I'm glad I did. I beat the game in a couple days and I feel no desire to ever play it again.

I hear Metroid is going to be a fairly short game, and has no multiplayer in it...so that'll be another game that I just rent.

Tamrok 09-20-02 01:30 PM

I would love it if games were in the $40 range but I don't see it happening. The main reason PC games are able to be cheaper is the lack of a licensing fee (usually $10-$12) paid to the console manufacturer. That pretty much accounts for the price difference, right there. I justify the $50 price by figuring that if I play the game and beat it, I can usually sell it on ebay for $30-$35. So, I only end up spending $10-$15 to play the game. Not too bad... :)

tygloalex 09-20-02 01:35 PM

Aren't ps2 games supposed to start retailing at 39.95 soon? :hscratch: I thought I read that somewhere. Honestly, I'm happy with the price of the games. I remember NES games were 50 bucks like 15 years ago.

gcribbs 09-20-02 01:47 PM

Originally posted by tygloalex
Aren't ps2 games supposed to start retailing at 39.95 soon? :hscratch: I thought I read that somewhere. Honestly, I'm happy with the price of the games. I remember NES games were 50 bucks like 15 years ago.
I think Sony games are now retailing for $39.99 however it does seem that most retailers still price them at $49.99.

of course third party games can still determine their own prices.

I love the greatest hits titles for this very reason. if you passed on a great game due to price you can then pick it up for $19.99 6-12 months later.

I wish MS and GC did this.

Heck Halo should have been $19.99 a long time ago yet they keep charging $49.99 for this title.

karnblack 09-20-02 01:48 PM

I think $50 is a decent price for video games. I know we would all be glad if they dropped to $40 or less, but think about what you get.

If you buy a DVD for $10 (a good price) you're spending $3-$5 per hour of entertainment. If you spend at least 10 hours playing a video game you're cost per hour of entertainment is $5. Somtimes you spend hundreds of hours playing one game (like Morrowind for me). In that case you're getting your entertainment for $0.25 an hour or less.

I know...some games are shorter than 10 hours and others just suck and you wish you never bought it. In those cases you hopefully found a deal, but I feel for you if you spent $50 on the game.

I just know there are games I would be willing to spend $100 on and there are games that aren't even worth $1 to me. I just like to put things in perspective for myself.

Roto 09-20-02 02:10 PM

[i]
I love the greatest hits titles for this very reason. if you passed on a great game due to price you can then pick it up for $19.99 6-12 months later.

I wish MS and GC did this.

Heck Halo should have been $19.99 a long time ago yet they keep charging $49.99 for this title. [/B]
How long was PS2 out before they put out "Greatest Hits"? Xbox and Gamecube don't have a big enough catalog to do that yet and Halo is still selling too well to reduce the price. All the games that are getting discounted generally have slowed or never sold well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Xbox or Gamecube greatest hits, but probably not until sometime next year.

I payed $50 for Sega GT, but that was the first one in at least 6 months. I have about 5 Xbox games I bought for $20. I probably won't buy anymore $50 games until Xbox Live. I'm sure it will be hard to find discounts on those games for a while and I'm gonna have to pick up a couple just to try it.

madcougar 09-20-02 02:25 PM

I will almost never buy a new game at $50. I will usually wait to purchase it on sale or used. $50 is too much to pay for a console game IMHO.

Captain Harlock 09-20-02 02:47 PM

The only game that I can think of that actually DID debut at $39.99 is Mark of Kri. You can always take advantage of a few sales here and there, but if the majority of people are willing to pay $50 for something then that's what the manufacturers will charge.

Personally renting is a better value. I don't always have the cash to plunk down on a new game. Better to rent it first and see if it's worth purchasing.

:whofart:

MrSneis 09-20-02 02:50 PM

man, you guys dont remembr buying snes games for 70-80 a pop?

KingSmoth 09-20-02 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Roto
How long was PS2 out before they put out "Greatest Hits"? Xbox and Gamecube don't have a big enough catalog to do that yet and Halo is still selling too well to reduce the price. All the games that are getting discounted generally have slowed or never sold well.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Xbox or Gamecube greatest hits, but probably not until sometime next year.

I payed $50 for Sega GT, but that was the first one in at least 6 months. I have about 5 Xbox games I bought for $20. I probably won't buy anymore $50 games until Xbox Live. I'm sure it will be hard to find discounts on those games for a while and I'm gonna have to pick up a couple just to try it.

You need to read up on Greatest Hits.
The GH line is for any game that has sold more than 400,000 copies and been out for at least 9 months, not for "games that never sold well". By your definition, Resident Evil, Resident Evil 2, Gran Turismo 1-3, Devil May Cry, Onimusha, all the Final Fantasy games, GTA3(soon to be GH), and about 150 other games "never sold well". GTA3 has sold over 7 million copies, and is still number 2 in sales. I remember reading not too long ago, when inquired about a line like Sony's Greatest Hits, Microsofts response was along the lines of "we make good enough games that we don't need to do a price drop to sell them". Nintendo said they won't have a line like that any time soon either as I recall.

kvrdave 09-20-02 03:06 PM

$50 is way to much for a bad game, but a good game is worth so much more.

Adam Tyner 09-20-02 03:17 PM

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
The only game that I can think of that actually DID debut at $39.99 is Mark of Kri.
There are a number. GunMetal for the XBox would be another example, and there are rare occasions when one of the loss leaders will debut a game at $40 rather than the standard $50.

finbogg 09-20-02 03:26 PM

Originally posted by kvrdave
$50 is way to much for a bad game, but a good game is worth so much more.

And therein lies the problem. $50 is a lot to pay for a game that you may or may not like. There are some games that aren't even a quetion, they're definitely worth it (or they're not). It's the games that look cool but you're not sure about that are the tough ones.

No matter how many reviews you read (and they are helpful) it still comes down to you're own individual taste and opinion about whether or not you like a game. Because the stores won't allow returns (unwrapped), you can really get to get burned.

outcastja 09-20-02 03:27 PM

Originally posted by MrSneis
man, you guys dont remembr buying snes games for 70-80 a pop?
That's what I was thinking. I just had four SNES games, since the prices were so high.

Joshic 09-20-02 03:30 PM

I remember back when I was in high school, I paid $60 for the PC game, Wing Commander 2. I didn't mind paying that much for a game then, even though I was really strapped for money as a student. Nowadays PC games regularly go for $40 - even the good ones. It's interesting that with the higher production costs of games now as compared to years before, and adjusting for inflation (however slight), prices for PC games have gone down. And prices for console games generally haven't. Maybe that's a reason why a lot of developers are moving from the PC to the consoles? More money to be made?

al_bundy 09-20-02 03:31 PM

It's either that or pay much more for the console. Games is how the companies make their money. Take a loss or break even on the hardware and make money on the games. I think something like $10 for every game goes to the console manufacturer. And the develpment costs keep rising. It takes something like 18-24 months to make a decent game and costs millions of $$$.

Tuan Jim 09-20-02 03:58 PM

A game like Morrowind (even the unmodifiable Xbox version) is easily worth $50 or more. I might not buy it off the shelf if it was any more, but I'd pay $50 without thinking twice.

Same for something like Halo with good initial game length and lots of replay value.

Blood Wake on the other hand is something I bought initially before finding out how quickly I could beat it. I returned it in January the same week I bought it, and just now bought it used for $18 so I could beat it again. Nice cheap quickie until I get my Live kit. I may well sell it again pretty soon though. It's not as much of a keeper as my other games. (DOA3, PGR -- still stuck, Halo, Morrowind, NFL Fever 2k2, JSRF). I woulda been pretty disappointed had I picked up GunValkyrie at $50. A smilebit title it is, but dang it's a LOT more frustrating than JSRF ever was. Bought and sold used.

Tuan Jim

zig 09-20-02 04:24 PM

SNES and n64 games(for the first couple years at least) were horribly priced. 70 to 80 bucks sometimes.. There were even rumors that Nintendo was going to charge 100 bucks for some n64 games(they never did though). I'm fine with 50 bucks. And like teplitsa said.. the console makers have to make back the money they're losing from the system(since they sell at a loss, or with no/very little profit), plus the game development. I think I remember hearing Ocarina Of Time cost $7 million to develop.

Of course I'd like cheaper games, who wouldn't. But no, I don't think they're overcharging us at 50.