Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

PS2 Sleepers

Old 09-16-02, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PS2 Sleepers

Today I cracked and picked up a PS2 and FFX to complement my GCN. I've played most of the big games so I'm wondering about some good games off the beaten path? I'm willing to give anything a try at least once.
Old 09-16-02, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Frequency, Rez, Mr. Mosquito, Fatal Frame, and WipEout Fusion.
Old 09-16-02, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well if your looking for some sleepers, some games that werent like totally popular or anticipated before release but are some of the best games on the PS2 then you have to try out my two reccomendations:

Ico - In this game you'll play a young boy who is exiled from his village becuase he is born with horns. They lock him up in a castle where he fortunately breaks free and meets up with a young princess in which throughout the entire game shes at your side and you must protect her. The game is is very much strategic, you must figure out countless puzzles in order to proceed but the graphics and visuals are extremely beautiful. You'll be in awe, promise!

Shadow of Destiny - In this one you'll play a guy named Eike (or Ike, forgot which way its spelled). Anyway, in the beginning of the game Eike is stabbed and killed. But hes given a rather golden oppurtunity afterwards by a strange persona to prevent his death, but everytime Eike prevents one way of dying, hes confronted by another assault and must prevent those as well. Its a cool premise and with like i think 5-7 endings, you'll wanna see them all.
Old 09-16-02, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by thegame370
Well if your looking for some sleepers, some games that werent like totally popular or anticipated before release but are some of the best games on the PS2 then you have to try out my two reccomendations:

Ico -

Shadow of Destiny -
Bought and loved both of these games. Shadow of Destiny was one of the first PS2 games I purchased. I played Frequency as well when my friend picked it up for $15 at Target. Its a lot of fun and very addictive music/puzzle game.

Trigger, can you tell me more about Fatal Frame? I saw this game a couple of times but passed it by. I was tempted, but never really got what it was about. If its good I may pick this one up.

Anyway, let me also recommend Escape From Monkey Island. A great, funny, and challenging point and click PC style adventure game from Lucas Arts. It was kind of overlooked on the PS2, but its definitely worth getting.

Last edited by darkside; 09-16-02 at 06:53 AM.
Old 09-16-02, 08:16 AM

Trigger, can you tell me more about Fatal Frame? I saw this game a couple of times but passed it by. I was tempted, but never really got what it was about. If its good I may pick this one up.

Trigger. I highly recommend this game if you enjoy the survival horror games. This has to be the scariest game I have ever played. The best way to play this game though is with all the lights out and the volume turned way up. The sound is what makes this game so damn spooky. As for what the game is about, you play as a little girl who goes looking for her lost brouther in an old house who disapeared looking for somebody. It sounds stupid, but your only weapon is a camera that can kill ghosts. It's a great game!
Old 09-16-02, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

fatal frame is a good one. its a survival horror like silient hill but, in my opinion 1000 times creepier. Basically you go around catching ghosts/spirits with your camera. sounds cheesy but believe me, it's far from it.
Old 09-16-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
I don't know if Hot Shots Golf 3 qualifies as a sleeper, but it's sure a heck of a lot of fun!
Old 09-16-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thank god other people agree about Fatal Frame

SCARRIEST game I've ever played. Lights out, sound up, you will crap in your pants multiple times I guarantee it. That reminds me, I really should buy some more undies

Go get it NOW!
Old 09-16-02, 12:36 PM
Admin Emeritus

Is Fatal Frame a "cheap scare" kind of game... something jumps out at you and goes boo!... or an "atmospheric/suspense horror" kind of game?
Old 09-16-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

anyone try gitaroo man?
Old 09-16-02, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by young
anyone try gitaroo man?
I'll vouch for this game, its awesome!! The music is excellent and the play is fun too, too bad more people haven't played it, its got somewhat of a cult following now.

I agree Fatal Frame is pretty atmospheric , but it didn't strike me as that scary for some reason, might be just me, but I did like the atmosphere and mood of the game, and the sound effects. I never got the hang of taking pictures of ghosts though so that might be why, but it does have its moments. I reccomend it , for a rental though as its pretty short. to answer your question static cling, it is an atmospheric scare game for the most part, though it does have some pop out scares too.

I'll also second ICO, you must play it now!

Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil is also a great side scrolling platformer that is sadly often overlooked, however it has great characters and colorful graphics, not to mention some of the best voice acting in video games .
Old 09-16-02, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks for the suggestions. ICO especially sounds like something I'd dig.
Old 09-16-02, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Outlaw
I'll vouch for this game, its awesome!! The music is excellent and the play is fun too, too bad more people haven't played it, its got somewhat of a cult following now.
well, gitaroo man is $19.99 at CC right now... i should have picked it up! ah well, maybe saturday.

i did pick up atv off road, red faction, midnight club racing, and star wars starfighter ($14.99 each)... i don't they're great games but they're cheap and cheerful.

i loved ico but it is too short!!!
Old 09-17-02, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Sleepers? To heck with them. You need GTA and MGS and the network adapter and SOCOM! Also, Twisted Metal and Gran Turismo are great buys at $19.99. I've got a friend who lives for Frequency, though.
Old 09-17-02, 12:50 AM

I've never played it, but I've heard a lot of people say The Adventures of Cookie and Cream is a great game. I recall hearing it was a awesome 2 player game.
Old 09-17-02, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've also heard the same of Cookie and Cream.
Old 09-17-02, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Static Cling
Is Fatal Frame a "cheap scare" kind of game... something jumps out at you and goes boo!... or an "atmospheric/suspense horror" kind of game?
It's more "atmospheric/suspense horror"... very cool game.
(I'm a photographer.... so my opinion is a little biased... hehe)

-k
###
Old 09-17-02, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Fatal Frame is only scary if you are afraid of ghosts. It is very atmospheric and the graphics are good. Not much really jumps out at you - most of it is just scary in the same way as
Spoiler:
that guy standing in the corner at the end of the Blair Witch
was scary - it's creepy. Plus - you are armed with only a camera and some film... no guns or anything - and you know that your camera doesn't really make the ghosts go away because they'll come back. If you have an Xbox - I'd wait for the 5.1 surround sound because that's half of how you know where the ghosts are is by sound. It's great on the PS2 though.
Old 09-17-02, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
If you have an Xbox - I'd wait for the 5.1 surround sound because that's half of how you know where the ghosts are is by sound.
If there is an Xbox version coming I will look out for it. This sounds like a pretty cool game and a different twist on survival horror.
Old 09-17-02, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm a big fan of NBA Street. I just picked it up for about 15 bucks at EB, but I think it's in the new $20 classic series. If you like hoops, definitly worth it
Old 09-17-02, 06:50 PM

Originally posted by tygloalex
I've also heard the same of Cookie and Cream.
The Adventures of Cookie & Cream is a great game. If you even remotely like puzzle games, it's a must. As a cooperative two player game, it is second to none. It's also a great date game, as you can have two players play the game simultaneously with the same controller.

It also gets my vote for best sleeper of the PS2 simply because it is the only game I can consistantly get my wife to play along with me.
Old 09-17-02, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Gitaroo man is a great game, but I wish it lasted a little longer and rewarded you more for mastering the songs. But it and especially Frequency are both excellent rhythm-type games.
Old 09-25-02, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i just picked up gitaroo man, and i like it. i'm having a little difficulty using the left thumb stick.
Old 09-25-02, 09:52 PM

Frequency is definitly a great game.
Also ATV Offroad Fury.
Old 09-26-02, 02:20 AM

I kinda like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance.
Great graphics and fun.