Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I want a U.S. XBOX but I'm in Japan...

Old 09-15-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want a U.S. XBOX but I'm in Japan...

So I've been looking for place to order online and I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions for places that ship internationally to Japan and have relatively good prices and shipping rates. Thanks.
Old 09-15-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, of course, I need to buy games. I've been reading mad reviews and so far, it seems like everyone likes HALO and Dead or Alive 3. ANyone have any other suggestions? Cause both games are kind of old. I will buy them both, but I want 1 or 2 more games that are "sure things" because I can't "try out" the region 2 games here on the region 1 xbox when I buy it. I like fighting games in particular, but since Dead or Alive 3 takes the place of that, any other action type games would be good. Thanks a bunch.
Old 09-15-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you in American military?
Old 09-15-02, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No. I'm a U.S. Citizen working as a junior high school teacher here so I can't get things sent to afo (?) or whatever they call them military address thingies...
Old 09-15-02, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mytzplyx
No. I'm a U.S. Citizen working as a junior high school teacher here so I can't get things sent to afo (?) or whatever they call them military address thingies...
You don't have PX priviliges? Are you a contractor? I thought all teachers were GS employees? If you want to go the shady route you can ask a military member to buy one for you.

Do you live off base? Is your TV NTSC or SECAM? All US X-Boxes are NTSC and I don't think they will play on SECAM TV's.
Old 09-15-02, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought NTSC was Japan's standard as well.
Old 09-15-02, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

?? U.S. xbox won't work on a Japanese TV? Do they make different models of TVs for distribution in the U.S. as well? This would suck if it was the case.

Anyways, buy.com will ship internationally only if I order $500 worth of stuff. EB games will ship too but their prices are off the charts and they dont' have a lot of things for sale. Amazon doesn't ship games internationally and i'm sure amazon japan sells only the japanese xbox...
Old 09-15-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are you on JET?

Japan is NTSC. A US Xbox should work just fine.
Old 09-15-02, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When I was in Korea while in the military, they were on SECAM. I thought all of asia was on SECAM with TV's.
Old 09-15-02, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Korea is NTSC too.

if Sounds like buy.com is a good way to go if you pick up enough games to go with the system...

Here's some solid games that I can recommend.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Enclave
Jet Set Radio Future
Halo
Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysey
Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams
Dead Or Alive 3
Project Gotham Racing
Rallisport Challenge
Sega GT 2002
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Outlaw Golf
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2X
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
Amped
Old 09-16-02, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there a way to check if my tv is ntsc or secam?
Old 09-16-02, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I am in Israel and all of the TV's made here for like the past 8+ years have all come out multi-zone. I know they're the same way in Europe too. Just ask around and see if Japan offers multi-zone TV's.

I just found out that Amazon.com US ships internationally. Just ordered stargate sg-1 season 2 for $6 shipped to Israel Or they do have an amazon UK store too you might check into (though for me, the price difference between UK and US store has been pretty big...)

Good Luck!
Old 09-16-02, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I am in Japan and using an US made x-box!Ih has never given me any problem, but maybe because my TV is only 3 years old.But since Japan and USA use the same tv system, there is no such this that it cannot play on you TV in Japan.
And to check yout TV is its NTSC or secam...well if it can receive the Japanese TV programs then its NTSC.Easy right?
Amazon does not ship pc softwares and computer items to overseas and games hardwares & software,but they ship dvd's and books though.
Old 09-16-02, 01:27 AM

www.dvdboxoffice.com ships to Japan (I have ordered several dvd movies and Metal Gear Solid 2 and Devil May Cry and it arrived so I guess the hardware will to. I have not ordered any hardware from them though but they do ship XBOX/PS2/GC etc. internationally.

I have a Japanese XBOX and DOA3 is bilingual. It sells for under $20 brandnew.
Old 09-16-02, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks for the info. I'll check out dvdboxoffice. Hopefully I can get one within 2 weeks.
Old 09-16-02, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

kind of expensive, but at least its an option. hmm.
Old 09-16-02, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you even say "Xbox" in Japan... people will kick you in the nads.
Old 09-17-02, 01:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

THey hate MS too?
Old 09-17-02, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't think so, I think X-box is gaining dround with it's X-box live!They made a survey and X-box Live seems the one they like because of the equipment.MS is not hated as much as they are in USA.
Matter of fact Bill Gates is very much liked here by the japanese.
And mytzplyx I think you better import with ebgames or the other online dealers,because even if you have a friend in US who is willing to send you the X-box, the shipping alone using Air mail is already near to $50.X-box is heavy, and the package is very large and the customs might want to pry open the package and damage the content.My suggestion import from the online dealers and the games you can ask you freinds to sent it to you.
Old 09-17-02, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

all right, thanks for the tip man.

ALso, X-box sales haven't been doing well in Japan but since I've been back here a month ago, I've been quite surprised by the promotional force behind it. I went to a Toys R US in Japan here and they had all the consoles, but x-box was the only one with the console boxes dangling from the ceiling in the game area, and also, I've been there a couple times to try out the games but the damn console is always taken by some lil brat. The playstation 2 console is almost always empty. Sure, playstation 2 sales and cube sales in Japan have killed the X-box thus far, but I think MS is pushing it pretty hard here.
I've also seen the XBOX logo at the end of several japanese TV programs, listing it as a sponsor.
Old 09-17-02, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sorry, 1 more question. Are japanese memory cards and controllers compatible with the U.S. x-box? Or do I gotta order those in as well? I think I'll end up ordering from gamestop, cheapest listed shipping I think.

Last edited by mytzplyx; 09-17-02 at 08:19 AM.
Old 09-17-02, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by mytzplyx
sorry, 1 more question. Are japanese memory cards and controllers compatible with the U.S. x-box? Or do I gotta order those in as well? I think I'll end up ordering from gamestop, cheapest listed shipping I think.
I know that all the controllers are region-free and I'm pretty sure that's the case with the memory cards (although you really don't need a memory card when you have the hard drive unless you plan to take a game save over to a friends house). Many people imported the smaller Japanese controller back before the controller 'S' became available here in the U.S. and had no problems using it.