Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who was VERY DISAPOINTED in Mario Sunshine?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-15-02, 02:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really just didn't have very much fun with it. I have given it plenty of time, I have 61 shines, and don't have too much of a desire to finish it. Here are my main complaints, assortment of moves, $#%@ waterpack, very few levels, and crap story. I know that the other stories were crap too, princess gets kidnapped and you go save her, but a community service game?¿? The waterpack is just a gimmick, it adds a little depth although not much, it's a rich man's Luigi's Mansion. I honestly would have been happier with a Mario 64 clone. I know I'm in the minority here, I also thought Tony Hawk 2 was better than 3. Please respond to this with intelligent responses, not the good 'ole Mario RULES! or Miyamoto can't make a bad game. I would like to hear good points that might help me see something I missed.
Old 09-15-02, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What don't you like about the waterpack? I think it added a whole new dimension to the game.

It's not a "community service game." I'm surprised you would say that 61 shines in. The plot only is essentially the same as the traditional Mario game with a few twists thrown in.

It's strange that you seem to like Mario 64 and dislike Sunshine as the gameplay is very similar. Do you prefer the traditional Mario environment to Deflino Island?
Old 09-15-02, 03:44 AM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

IDIOT comment removed. personal attacks are not tolerated here. -namja
Old 09-15-02, 03:51 AM

I wasn't disappointed, per se. I had fun with it, until you got to the (what I like to call) cop out game extensions. Play the same 7 levels over and over again for 100 coins and red coins. After I beat it, I got more and more shines. But it was just tedious.

So while I'm not mad I got it, I am bored with it.
Old 09-15-02, 04:35 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Mattalos
I wasn't disappointed, per se. I had fun with it, until you got to the (what I like to call) cop out game extensions. Play the same 7 levels over and over again for 100 coins and red coins. After I beat it, I got more and more shines. But it was just tedious.

So while I'm not mad I got it, I am bored with it.
This pretty much sums up my feelings. I was dazzled at first but bored a couple weeks in... Right now I have no desire to play it and I only have like 50 shines. It'll probably be up on half.com, especially since I see they will make another so there will be something else to buy in this generation.
Old 09-15-02, 04:36 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by enthused
IDIOT comment removed. -namja
Is that sarcasm or a personal attack?
Old 09-15-02, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you are VERY DISAPPOINTED with it, why did you play it through 61 shines, that is quite a ways into the game. I have 113 shines and had a heck of a time with Mario Sunshine. As for the water pack, I thought it was great. Man how I loved using that in the red coin challenges of the "alternate world obstacle course" thingies. Such a help, rather than no pack the first time through those.
Old 09-15-02, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was okay... It kinda grew on me, but then I also grew bored of it rather quickly. It's not much of an innovative platformer. The graphics are nice - I really was impressed with the water effects. I hated the cutesy baby talk story and dialogue... and I wasn't too keen at first about having to clean up what looked like overflowing toilet waste... but I was able to get past that and get into the game. It's probably the most impressed I've been with a Mario game so far. I did think the water pack provided some interesting elements and aside from some of the tasks being either tedious or frustrating, it was a well put-together platformer. One thing it did for me was get me interested in platformer games again - I'm really excited for Blinx. I'll probably get back to Sunshine again, but I'm in no hurry. I'm actually surprised to hear people say they were disappointed with it after hearing all the praise being bestowed upon it and the fact that I kinda liked it myself.
Old 09-15-02, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I loved it. Still do.

You are welcome to your opinion.

BUT to say the waterpack is a gimmick is an obvious clue that you don't understand the game dynamics. The game is not for you.
Old 09-15-02, 11:11 AM

I wasn't just disapointed with this game, I HATED it. I stopped playing after about 8 shines. Let's see, where to begin:

1) I found the waterpack to be extremely annoying. Sqirt. Adjust. Squirt. Adjust. Sqirt. Adjust. While this was fun in that one portion of Conker's Quest, I just couldn't imagine doing this for the whole game. This got old really fast

2) The camera was awful. True, the cameras in games of this type usually need adjusting. In this game though I felt like I had to controll the camera as much as Mario himself. Ugh.

3) Other than the water, which they obviously spent alot of time on, I thought the graphics were rather bland. Level design, character design, textures, etc. I especially found the 2 pachinko (I think that is what people are calling them here) levels that I played to not only lack imagination, but were completely out of place. It s like someone said, "We need some non water pack levels" and were just thrown in with no relation to the story.

4) I found very little creativity behind mission goals. When I met the third islander to ask me for three pieces of fruit I knew there was a problem.

5) I much prefer when a game keeps you in the level until you are ready to leave. I didn't like being thrown out of a level every time I collected a shine, just to jump right back in again. I know many games have done it this way, but I really liked it when Jak & Daxter did away with that process.

Of course no one can explain why, after losing the first squid (or whatever they were) race, was I thrown back to the main world. Couldn't I have been left at the starting line, or at least on the same level?

6) The sound left alot to be desired. What drove me crazy the most was the fact that the islanders not only didn't speak, they had an annoying click that followed each letter in their speech bubble. While this was not as bad as the sounds in the Banjo Kazooie games, it annoyed me to the point where I avoided talking to people. Of course the voice acting they did have was pretty bad.

I do enjoy these types of games, and I do try to get %100 when I play them. In fact I bought a 64 just so I could play Mario 64, the Banjo series, Donkey Kong and Conker. Rayman 2 is one of my favorite games, and I enjoyed playing Jak and Daxter on the PS2 and Oddworld on XBOX. I tried to give this game a chance, but after a while I just couldn't force myself to play it. This was the first game that I brought back to the software store in years.

OK, I am done ranting now.
Old 09-15-02, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by DrCaligari
2) The camera was awful.
I'll admit that I'm in the minority in this, but I really liked the camera. Finally a game where you have complete control rather than having it continually swing behind you at the most inopportune moment (Sonic Adventure 2). It did take some practice, but now when I play it's similiar to a FPS: I use one stick to move and the other to look around. Works great for me.
4) I found very little creativity behind mission goals. When I met the third islander to ask me for three pieces of fruit I knew there was a problem.
Well you didn't really play the game enough to get a feel for the wide variety of things to do in the game. There are only four islanders like you speak of, they're only on the plaza, and the challenge varies between the four.
5) I much prefer when a game keeps you in the level until you are ready to leave. I didn't like being thrown out of a level every time I collected a shine, just to jump right back in again.
You don't have to grab the shine right away. A lot of times I'll keep playing and grab the shine when I'm ready to leave.
Old 09-15-02, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

To each his own. I loved it, even those super hard obstacle courses. Not every game is for everyone, but Miyamoto did another amazing job with this game.
Old 09-15-02, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a friend who didn't really enjoy it. He loved Mario 64, but said Sunshine just didn't have the same feel to it. He didn't feel compelled to go back and make sure he got all the shines like he did the last game and just basically beat it and said, well that's that. Said he'll likely trade it in for Animal Crossing. Wasn't Miyamoto not as involved with this Mario as he was with 64? I know my friend was saying that was prolly one of the reasons it didn't have the replay value of past titles, his lack of involvment.

~Scheherazade
Old 09-15-02, 02:21 PM

The game did grow boring FAST! Many of the stages were repeats with just new backgrounds/environments. And collecting 120 shines is pure idiocy. If you have time to kill, heck go for it. You have nothing better to do with your life and time, do it. Time is your only enemy in life and if you want to piss it away collecting shines go for it!

Another minus for this game was Yoshi! He was a complete waste of time to develop! I found Yoshi to be a pest and almost next to useless to use. I had great expectations for Mario's "GREEN" dino buddy! It would have been better if Yoshi could swim, jump even higher, or maybe you could switch game play with Yoshi- kind like Banjo did with that bird dude tooty(or whatever his name was)

One other complaint, this is my last complaint… is the lack of cool moves and tricks Mario had. Where is your punch and kick little dude!?!?! I wish they added more combo moves or other kinds of action enhancements.

Don't get me wrong I do love this game. It was a real treat to play Mario after so many years past from Mario 64. This little fat plumber/service worker is still one awesome character. He's the staple of video game history!
Old 09-15-02, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I am a little dissapointed with Yoshi as well. He was, for the most part, useless. You used him maybe 4 or 5 times to squirt that Orange Goo off, and that was it. Im still not sure what all the different fruit do to him, besides changing his color.
Old 09-15-02, 02:34 PM

I loved the game, but I have to agree that Yoshi sucked. I hated any level that required his use, as it was gaurunteed to be frustrating.
Old 09-15-02, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I agree, this is one of the best games I have ever played. I think the extended play review summed up my feelings calling it "platforming nirvana." Its definitely an old school throw back in ways. When a game sells as much as this one with such a popular and widespread appeal though, its granted that there will be a few people who don't like it. The waterpack isn't a gimmick, in fact it is crucial to the gameplay, perhaps your not using it enough when you jump. It allows a huge variety of ways to complete objectives. A gimmick is something that is put in the game just to make it flashy but doesn't add anything or is needed to the game play, like in DOA3 where you can kick people off roofs and stuff, its not essential to the gameplay and the novelty wears off fast; its a gimmick. Most people don't even realize how crucial the waterpack is to the gameplay until it is taken away in some of the levels, then the game plays just like it did in Mario 64. I'd disagree with the community service comment as well, if you played up to 61 shines you probably noticed the game is not all about cleaning up with the waterpack

I think the circumstances are a little different from what you remembered with SM64. When that game was released, it was the 1 out of 2 games we could play for a considerable time. We didn't have the incredible variety there is on the Gamecube now like Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, Pikmin, SSBM, and now Animal Crossing. My point is, if you don't like it there are tons of other excellent games to play. Still, I am having a blast with it, I'm up to 78 shines as of right now. To each his own, no one is forcing you to play this game .

edited: darn typos

Last edited by Outlaw; 09-15-02 at 03:25 PM.
Old 09-15-02, 03:25 PM
Retired

Different strokes for different folks.

I love the game. Platformers are my favorite genre. It's by no means 100% perfect, but it's definitely the best 3D platformer that I've played.

The control is perfect, the level design is brilliant, the difficulty level is just right as many platformers are too easy, and the graphics are great, which was a surprise as I hadn't seen the game in motion before and was underwhelmed by the screen shots.

My gripes are minor. Sometimes the camera flat out sucks. I prefer having to move it myself, as auto cameras suck 9 out of 10 times, but in certain places you just can't get a good angle.

You also have to do some tasks over and over, like shadow mario in every level.

Lastly the blue coins are a crap shoot. I really can't see anyone finding all of them with out the use of a guide because they are so random and it would take for ever to try everything in every episode of every world.

But in the end, these gripes are fairly minor, and are much less severe than the gripes I've had with any other 3D platformer. The bottom line is I'm just having more fun with this game than any I've played in the past, and I've played a lot of games over the years.

But like I said, different strokes for different folks. No game is going to be loved by everyone.
Old 09-15-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I 'liked' this game... that's about it. I still have my mario64 (which is fully unlocked star wise), and I still go back to it time to time. You know, jump into the canon & shoot myself to the castle roof to get maxed out on lives from yoshi.

This one just doesn't have the same feel, it doesn't make me want to go back and unlock everything.

(Then again I felt almost the same way about HALO... I wish you were able to unlock something 'capcom' style after finishing the game. I'd love to run through that game w/ unlimited ammo, and all the guns. The game really doesn't give you a reason to go back either.)

-k
###
Old 09-15-02, 04:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by Keyser Soze
I 'liked' this game... that's about it. I still have my mario64 (which is fully unlocked star wise), and I still go back to it time to time. You know, jump into the canon & shoot myself to the castle roof to get maxed out on lives from yoshi.

This one just doesn't have the same feel, it doesn't make me want to go back and unlock everything.

(Then again I felt almost the same way about HALO... I wish you were able to unlock something 'capcom' style after finishing the game. I'd love to run through that game w/ unlimited ammo, and all the guns. The game really doesn't give you a reason to go back either.)

-k
###
(sorry to be a little off-topic, but have you tried halo on legendary? i found that a good reason to go back)
Old 09-15-02, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
(sorry to be a little off-topic, but have you tried halo on legendary? i found that a good reason to go back)
[O.T.]
Yea, I started it on legendary but it just felt the same w/ more baddies in it. Not much of a reason to drop another 8 hours+ into it. I like the CAPCOM way of thinking, bet the game, get rewards.

This is the same way I felt bout madden this year. I like the way it rewards you for your time be unlocking stuff. 2k3 doesn't do that, but I ended up buying 2k3 just because it was a prettier game w/ nicer replays & better commentary.
[/O.T.]

-k
###
Old 09-15-02, 05:17 PM
Banned

Dave, you aren't in a minority...this game has dissapointed me somewhat, however I still continue to play, 30 or so shines in.

Just some thoughts of mine.

1) This game doesn't come close to Mario 64 in my opinion. Sure SMS is a great title, evolving on the M64 gameplay, but it isn't as good as I had hoped or originally thought. I have a feeling this is due to the island theme and lack of Mario nostalgia (missing characters, missing obligitory lava/snow levels etc.) in SMS...is anyone else with me here? I think if we saw a clone of Mario 64 with just different objectives and different designs for the typical Mario levels, SMS would be much more enjoyable. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think they tried to fix or change too much here.

2) The waterpack is truly great. I didn't like it originally, but it adds a whole new element of gameplay. This evolution of Mario is great...I'm sure some hate it, but it's hard to argue that after practice and patience one doesn't truly enjoy the pack. Definitely is enjoyable. That said the control in SMS overall is flawless. Nintendo is marevlous at control, especially in their Mario games. And the camera...although I have been caught in a corner or somewhat frustrated at times, I truly don't have that big a gripe with it. I've pretty much trainined myself to have my finger on the C stick at all times, ready to switch the camera to the best angle. After some patience, I'm very comfortable with the SMS camera. Hey, at least its better than Sonic Adventure's.

3) Another problem with the game is the missions/episodes are VERY uninspiring, uncreative (especially), tedious and repetitive. Catching Shadow Mario is so lame sometimes and ridiculous. The blue coins add a nice twist to the game, I have no problem with them and don't expect to collect them all. But some of these level missions are just awful, to the point where I roll my eyes, groin and complain about them (watermelon rolling anyone?). Then again, at times, I'll be in bliss with a great mission, few and far between however. The game is a mixed bag plain and simple. And that, in Mario standards, is somewhat unacceptable. We are always accusstomed to perfection with Mario titles...which is why I think many people are disappointed with it.

4) I personally like the graphics. Sure, I expect a little bit more from Nintendo's flagship title, but the water effects and magnificent. The graphics are good enough so they don't deteriorate from the gameplay at all.

In the end, I'll probably play this one to the end, keep under the pile of games for a while and then either play it again or sell it. Unless things pick up after 30+ shines, it's goin' on eBay soon. Hell, I could get $35 for it right now.
Old 09-15-02, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it's kinda funny how people are trying to invalidate anything negative that's being said about Mario Sunshine by saying they either didn't spend enough time with it, they didn't understand it, or simply that games of this type aren't for them. That's rediculous since people saying they didn't like it are people who love platformers and previous Mario games and people who have collected over half the shines or whatever. It's not like you have to collect every shine to realize that the game isn't doing it for you.

I'd say at least 8 hours is a fair enough time to spend with a game to decide whether or not you dig it. If you have to sit through 8 hours of suck to get to the good stuff in any game, then it's not a good game. A good game is one that is all "good stuff"... Now - I'm not saying Mario is a sucky game and I'm not saying it's a good game. I'm just saying that people here are expressing their opinions and there's no need to dismiss them or invalidate them. Just remember that when you say Mario Sunshine (or any game) is a good game - that's expressing an opinion, not a fact.
Old 09-15-02, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I know people that hated Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It happens. I personally didn't like the time travel stuff in Majora's Mask and never finished the game. Halo impressed me, but I never could get into it enough to get very far either. Just not my kind of game. There is nothing wrong with not enjoying a game most people like or enjoying a game most people don't like.

I for one loved Luigi's Mansion and I know many people that didn't like it at all. Thats the way it goes.
Old 09-15-02, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I think it's kinda funny how people are trying to invalidate anything negative that's being said about Mario Sunshine by saying they either didn't spend enough time with it, they didn't understand it, or simply that games of this type aren't for them.
I assume you're not talking about the people in this thread?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.