Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one who was VERY DISAPOINTED in Mario Sunshine?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Am I the only one who was VERY DISAPOINTED in Mario Sunshine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-02, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trigger: You did what you are accusing people of here in the Mafia thread. It's a natural reaction when someone's opinion is so completely different than your own. Plus some of the things this guy said just aren't true.
Old 09-15-02, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kellehair
Trigger: You did what you are accusing people of here in the Mafia thread. It's a natural reaction when someone's opinion is so completely different than your own.
Oh did I?

"You're entitled to your opinion and if I'm wrong and you actually gave the game a solid chance (playing it for several hours), then I think that's a completely fair assessment. However, I just don't see how you could've given it a fair chance and come up with that review. Just my 2cents."

I didn't say he just didn't get it. He said the graphics were some of the worst ever and I pointed out that with the graphics engine they used for Mafia - if you have a weaker PC, the graphics scale back the detail so you can't see just how good the graphics are.

Plus some of the things this guy said just aren't true.
They are absolutely true because it's their opinion. At least I gave the Mafia thread guy the benefit of the doubt and said that if he did give the game a solid chance, then his opinion that: "The game still sucks At leas to me and everyone else I know hehe. The GFX are bland, and the city is poorly designed and too large. All the cars drive like poo and are super boxy and clunk feeling. Props if ya like it, but I dont." is completely fair. Do I still think he's wrong? Yeah... but that's besides the point.
Old 09-15-02, 06:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by darkside
I know people that hated Mario 64 and Zelda: Ocarina of Time. It happens. I personally didn't like the time travel stuff in Majora's Mask and never finished the game. Halo impressed me, but I never could get into it enough to get very far either. Just not my kind of game. There is nothing wrong with not enjoying a game most people like or enjoying a game most people don't like.

I for one loved Luigi's Mansion and I know many people that didn't like it at all. Thats the way it goes.
Oh, count me in that group. Ocarina of Time, which started off very well I'll add, just crapped out half way through. I've never gone from liking a game so much, to throwing it aside and never touching it again. Didn't beat the game, don't care how it ends. Just shows how one little thing (whatever it was, I forget) can change your mind about a game. I'd love for a Zelda game to come out that I could enjoy again....but that's another topic.

And not to get even more off topic but I'm tempted to try out Luigi's Mansion...or is it generally perceived as "worse" than SMS? What is great, if anything, about Mansion?
Old 09-15-02, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
And not to get even more off topic but I'm tempted to try out Luigi's Mansion...or is it generally perceived as "worse" than SMS? What is great, if anything, about Mansion?

I loved running around catching ghosts in Mansion. Heck, I loved using the water pack in Sunshine too. I guess I'm just a sucker for Prof E. Gadd's devices.

I loved the look of Mansion and I just had a lot of fun playing it (which is why I buy games). Trying to figure out how to catch the various ghosts was great. The biggest thing people disliked about it was the fact it was too short. I can agree with that, but I've gone back and played it through 3 times, so I got my moneys worth. Just keep in mind its not the same kind of game as Mario Sunshine. There is no jumping around. Its more about the strategy of catching the ghosts.

I would recommend renting it. Its a nice rental and the game can be beat in about 10 hours.
Old 09-15-02, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mike_AA
I've never gone from liking a game so much, to throwing it aside and never touching it again.
Metal Gear Solid 2?
Old 09-15-02, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trigger: You started that post with...

I don't know what game you played, but it couldn't have been Mafia.
That's the same **** you're accusing others of right now.

They are absolutely true because it's their opinion.
So if it's my opinion that the moon is made of cheese does that make it true? Of course not. Super Mario Sunshine isn't a community service game and the water pack isn't a gimmick. He can hate the game all he wants but there's no need to make stuff up.
Old 09-15-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Isn't this thread about people who are Very Disappointed about the game?

So do we need people posting saying its the best game ever? And are posting only Pro's. It's all about the Con's in this thread
Old 09-15-02, 07:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Mike_AA
Pure rental only, I would say. I beat the game in about 5 hours. I had a fun time while doing it, but I wouldn't want to do it again. Very easy game as well...only part that gave me any difficulty was the final boss.
Old 09-15-02, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You guys have some good points, and some are just wrong. I liked what Trigger said. It's mine and a few others opinion. Now don't get me wrong, I don't hate the game by any means. Let's break it down. Never has a game come out that mastered the 3D platformer genre like Mario 64. People rip off it to this day. It is the standard for what a platformer should be. Sunshine chaged too much stuff and didn't keep enough stuff. There isn't even a long jump!!! The water pack is interesting, it adds little to the gameplay IMO though. Not having it and figuring out how to accomplish things was more fun in Mario 64. Like others said, the level objectives were bland and uninspired. With a few exceptions. The secret areas were great, although INSANELY HARD! My favorite part of Sunshine is the old school sound effects and music. I also liked the parts where you break bricks with your head.
Old 09-15-02, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So if it's my opinion that the moon is made of cheese does that make it true? Of course not. Super Mario Sunshine isn't a community service game and the water pack isn't a gimmick. He can hate the game all he wants but there's no need to make stuff up.
If you can't see the difference between not liking a video game and thinking the moon is made of cheese, then I'm wasting my time arguing with you.

Mario Sunshine is a community service game in that your character is accused of mucking up the city and you are sentenced to clean it up with your water pack. How is that making stuff up? And he feels that the water pack in general is just gimmicky rather than innovative... that's expressing an opinion. It's something that can't be proven as fact or fiction. Saying the moon is made of cheese isn't an opinion because it can be proven false... saying the moon looks like it's made of cheese is an opinion that someone can disagree with by saying the moon looks like it's made of cat vomit.
Old 09-15-02, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by tenaciousdave
Never has a game come out that mastered the 3D platformer genre like Mario 64.
I agree with you there. I dislike this genre in general, but Mario 64 is one of my alltime favorite games. I hated Banjo, Donkey Kong 64, Jack and Daxter, and just about every other 3D platform game I've ever played.

Sunshine chaged too much stuff and didn't keep enough stuff. There isn't even a long jump!!!
I have to disagree there. If they would have made the game just like Mario 64 there would have been a lot of people hating it for that reason. Not to mention that Miyamoto always wants to change things. You can bet the next Mario game will have a lot of new stuff and leave out things from previous games. BTW you use the Turbo pack for the long jumps.

The water pack is interesting, it adds little to the gameplay IMO though.
But its what the whole game is based on. Learing to use it is the whole trick to mastering the game. They also throw in levels where you can't use it, so the game does have everthing including a lot of new jumps. But the water pack is a big part of the gameplay. Saying it adds little to the gameplay is like saying the vacuum cleaner in Luigi's mansion adds little to the gameplay.

I agree that Mario 64 is still the best 3D platformer ever, but I think Sunshine is a solid game in its own right and I had a heck of a lot of fun beating it. Are you wrong in not liking it? No, I think we pretty much covered that everyone's opinions are okay. I just had to give my differing one.
Old 09-15-02, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by White Knight
So do we need people posting saying its the best game ever? And are posting only Pro's. It's all about the Con's in this thread
heheh whoops, I thought he was asking for our opinions on the game, I didn't know it was a Mario/Nintendo bashing thread .
Old 09-15-02, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Mario Sunshine is a community service game in that your character is accused of mucking up the city and you are sentenced to clean it up with your water pack.
That's the general story but the game has very little to do with that. There are 120 shines but only a handful require you to actually clean up paint.

And he feels that the water pack in general is just gimmicky rather than innovative... that's expressing an opinion.
This is kind of borderline. Gimmick has a definition though and the water pack doesn't fit it. The water pack is an essential part of the game.

If you can't see the difference between not liking a video game and thinking the moon is made of cheese, then I'm wasting my time arguing with you.
As I said before, he can hate the game all he wants. So can you.
Old 09-15-02, 10:28 PM

Originally posted by Outlaw
heheh whoops, I thought he was asking for our opinions on the game, I didn't know it was a Mario/Nintendo bashing thread .

Come on Outlaw... bash, bash

We need some more wood for the ol' fire!
Old 09-16-02, 01:08 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Trigger
Metal Gear Solid 2?
I stand corrected. Me and my buddies played that game crazy only not to finish it. I liked it too, just lost interest. Ocarina was different, that one just died out of nowhere.

As for Luigi's Mansion, if it takes 5 hours, I'll rent it someday. I was tempted to get it off eBay for $15+ but that doesn't even sound like that's worth it. And quite frankly I don't even know if I'll like it...I've been dissapointed with games more frequently lately, guess I'm harder to please these days....

I agree that Mario 64 is still the best 3D platformer ever, but I think Sunshine is a solid game in its own right
Pretty much sums up my thoughts. SMS is still a great title, flaws and all. But it's probably in 3rd place behind M64 and Rayman 2 (loved that game to death on the DC) for favorite 3D platformers.
Old 09-16-02, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Well seeing as how I loved this game through and through I guess my opinion here wont hold much water

however, I dont see people per se hating this game just possibly expecting more than it was able to deliver. To be perfectly honest when I took my first look at Mario 64 I said "damn that game looks stupid". However once I spent time to learn how it played I loved it. Keep in mind that was my opinion before I ever picked up a controller. In any case I knew I was in for something completely different with Mario Sunshine. The water pak threw me off for about 5 levels but after 20 shines it was like second nature. Mario has gone through many innovations, this I feel is just a minor step in his ever growing gaming legacy. I thought the wing cap in Mario 64 was difficult to control, but you didnt spend the entire game with it on, and it was only required in a few levels. Strangely I didnt find this a problem with Sunshine. Hell I felt lost the minute Shadow Mario took it away. Love the game or "hate" it you simply cant deny the magic. Ive had this discussion many times at work in the last four days. I've had people tell me it's "kiddy...childish...stupid...and cutesy" After letting them play the game for 15 minutes they walked away going "ok I was wrong, this game is great!" Granted not everyone is going to be as accepting, and that is sad because this game is simply amazing. Ya I know I sound like a total fanboy but I cant think of any other way to explain how much fun I had with this game...well ok maybe one way...

I know for those of us who really enjoyed the game its hard to believe people actually didnt like it, and thats ok. People often forget what it is to play video games, and enjoy a good game that doesnt involve death, violence and such. Im not saying those games are bad I like a good majority of them. But I do have a problem with people who think a game needs to have a M rating in order to be good (State of Emergency anyone?). Proving once again that a game doesnt need always need to be innovative but it does need to hold your interest. And if this game didnt do that for you. Id suggest giving it one more try otherwise youll miss out on a wondeful game.
Old 09-16-02, 11:51 AM
Banned

I knew I should wait on this game, and from the opinions here I am glad I didn't waste $50.

My main gripe with this game is that it looked like indoctrination for environmentalism. But, maybe the community service point is more accurate (especially seeing as I refuse to touch this thing)

E
Old 09-16-02, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Eclipse

My main gripe with this game is that it looked like indoctrination for environmentalism.
I think just about every smilie available on the board could be used here, but I'll abstain from posting any.
Old 09-16-02, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow.

What describes it? Ignorance?

We have hit a new low.
Old 09-16-02, 12:02 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I knew I should wait on this game, and from the opinions here I am glad I didn't waste $50.
So you'll let your mind be made up by only the detractors, ignoring all of the praise that's been heaped on the game? The people who don't like it are in the minority. If you are unsure, why not rent and try it for yourself.
Old 09-16-02, 12:13 PM

My main gripe with this game is that it looked like indoctrination for environmentalism. But, maybe the community service point is more accurate (especially seeing as I refuse to touch this thing)

The game has nothing to do with community service or environmentalism. It's an adventure platformer like every other Mario game.
Old 09-16-02, 12:39 PM

It's also a video game
Old 09-16-02, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

E
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight and GTA 3 inspired me to join the 'family'.
Old 09-16-02, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by zero
Old 09-16-02, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by zero
I've been picking up hookers and killing them afterward to get the money back ever since I played this game.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.