Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

20,000 War Craft III Players banned

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-02, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
20,000 War Craft III Players banned

http://forums.**************.com/sho...hreadid=244019 (must be a member)

Warcraft III Map Hack Users Banned - 9/06/2002
In keeping with our aggressive stance against hacks and cheats, we have closed 20,000 accounts that were found to be using Warcraft III map hacks, and removed their ladder records. In addition, the CD keys of those offenders have been banned from ladder play for two weeks. We will continue to monitor the Warcraft III realms for malicious players. Please note: repeat offenders can suffer permanent removal from Battle.net if they continue to use hacks.

We regret having to employ these extreme measures; however, certain unscrupulous players have impaired the game play of the Warcraft III community as a whole, and severe action continues to be warranted and required.

We appreciate your understanding and cooperation in this matter. If you would like to report additional instances of hacking or cheating, please contact us at [email protected]. Thank you again for your continued support.

-- Blizzard Entertainment
www.battle.net
Old 09-07-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The funny part is those players will whine and all say that they were innocent. I applaud Blizzard's move in doing so, but they are too lenient, if they have proof, they should ban the accounts permanently from Bnet.

In keeping with our aggressive stance against hacks and cheats, we have closed 20,000 accounts that were found to be using Warcraft III map hacks, and removed their ladder records. In addition, the CD keys of those offenders have been banned from ladder play for two weeks. We will continue to monitor the Warcraft III realms for malicious players.
I don't get that though, they close the accounts, yet then say they were banned for 2 weeks?
Old 09-07-02, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe you can have multiple accounts, sort of like screen names. And they banned them from "ladder play"(tournaments?) for 2 weeks.

Blizzard
Old 09-07-02, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Good job Blizzard. I say make it 3 strikes, and your cd-key is banned permanently.
Old 09-07-02, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
blizzard I'm sure they will complain like hell, but hey, they were hacking Ha ha. they deserve it. and the best part, if they start complaining they were banned they will simply just be telling the world that they cheat. Ha ha funny stuff. there CD key is a great idea, as this prevents them from coming back under a different computer (it reads the cd key instead of IP). Good idea, Valve was going to do this more often aswell, ban certain cheating cd keys.

But good job Blizzard
Old 09-07-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree Jack. I've never been a big PC gamer because of the **** like this. There was too much hacking going on for my liking. Blizzard took a chance, and hopefully it pays off for them.

Now, to show you how much they value the honest player...

20,000 WarCraft III Players
x$59.95 Price Tag
----------------------

Yes..over 1 million in sales they are risking for their next game...
Old 09-07-02, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How much you want to bet that half those players didn't even pay for the game in the first place.
Old 09-07-02, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Old 09-07-02, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
a good start. i do think a ban forever was best. i figure they decided to not do this since

20,000 people + ban forever = lawsuit potential
Old 09-07-02, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by gcribbs
a good start. i do think a ban forever was best. i figure they decided to not do this since

No, because of the Hack, they are screwing with the software. thus they are altering it and voiding the game ability that is offered to them via online gaming. they should think about it before doing it.
Old 09-07-02, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone care to explain this hack to me, I don't even know what it does, I'm not a WC3 player
Old 09-08-02, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
It allows you to see the entire map including opposing forces bases without actually sending scouts or anything there. So pretty much you can see everything that you're not supposed to. Gives you a tactical advantage because you can see what an opponent is focusing their resources on and counter.
Old 09-08-02, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by spainlinx0
It allows you to see the entire map including opposing forces bases without actually sending scouts or anything there. So pretty much you can see everything that you're not supposed to. Gives you a tactical advantage because you can see what an opponent is focusing their resources on and counter.
Thanks, I figured it was some ridiculous cheat.
Old 09-10-02, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by gcribbs

no, they agreed to the EULA, so they can do whatever they like. I think that they were fair. Those who used the hack and were caught lost their account, their record and their ranking. They are free to make a new account, but have to start at square one, and won't be allowed to play ranked matches for two weeks. Those who tried the hack for whatever reason, but didn't use it for their primary account to boost their stats, keep their account but are suspended for two weeks.

Bravo to Blizzard. They have done well since the original diablo, which was horrible online.