Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

New Tomb Raider sounds crappy.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-02, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tomb Raider sounds crappy.

Well, leave it to Eidos to take a popular franchise and destroy it by making mediocre games.

The new Tomb Raider seems not to be shaping up too well.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...878974,00.html

We rarely see a preview this critical from Gamespot. They didn't seem to like this one much at all, and the way Eidos is putting the game together, they'll likely invite unflattering comparisons to "Resident Evil" and "Metal Gear Solid 2".

I was kind of hoping Eidos would use the jump to PS2 to really re-energize the Tomb Raider franchise, but I can't be optimistic after hearing this.

They've still got three months to whip the thing into shape, but, on the other hand, they've only got three months to whip this thing into shape if you get my drift.

Is this still on anyone's "to buy" list? For me, there's too much other good stuff coming out to waste time or money on a bad "Tomb Raider" game.
Old 08-31-02, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well, they kill it by simply adding a Male character to be an equel to craft. I mean come on.. the selling point of the tomb raider series was you got to play as a female indiana jones looking at her ass the whole time.

what kind of sales do you expect when you throw in a male character to play as?
Old 08-31-02, 08:46 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always hated the series. It's the only popular franchise with controls worse than Resident Evil.
Old 08-31-02, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I haven't like any of the games since the very first one. Eidos has pretty much run this franchise into the ground.
Old 08-31-02, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
From what I saw at E3 it looked badass and it's the first one in awhile that I've been looking forward to.
Old 09-01-02, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
From what I saw at E3 it looked badass and it's the first one in awhile that I've been looking forward to.
Was it playable or just video?
Old 09-01-02, 05:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I've never liked the series. They turned what was a solid idea into "stare at some blocky chick's ass for hours." That said, this new one might be alright, depending on how well that new character plays.
Old 09-01-02, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Blood Rayne for me and on the xbox her ass won't be blocky
Old 09-01-02, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by ScandalUMD

Was it playable or just video?
It was just video and a presentation showing what was going to be different and what enhancements were made and why this will be the best Tomb Raider ever. Then they did this interview with Lara on this huge screen - it was a live interview with a voice actor answering questions posed by the crowd and the CGI Lara would gesture and move her lips in perfect synchronization. That was admittedly more impressive than the game footage... and there was this hot model chick there dressed as Lara Croft - Then a bunch of other hot chicks came out and started tossing free t-shirts into the crowd... some of the shirts got rubbed on the girls' bum bums and boom booms before getting tossed. I got a non-scented one. I'll never wear it. Anyway - the stuff I saw looked badass and revived my interest in the game which died somewhere in the middle of playing the second one. The first one was cool when it came out... after that they never seemed to add much - this new one looks like they actually spent alot of time on it.
Old 09-02-02, 01:37 AM

Never found any of her games interesting and never bought them. They shouldn't make so many sequels for her.