Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Mario Sunshine Help and Discussion thread (use spoiler tags!!)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-02, 09:06 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The IGN review thread is 5 pages long, and full of reviews, so I figured we could use a new thread just for asking questions and talking about the game in general.

Also, if you need help, just put the title and episode you need help with, and then the rest in spoiler tags so as to not ruin anything for someone reading the thread that isn't as far as you.

For example:

I need help with Bianca Hills Episode 7

Spoiler:
Type your specific question here.

Also be sure to put you answers in the same format when helping someone out.

Anyway, I've got 24 shines so far, mainly from the first 2 worlds a couple from the 3rd and one from the 4th.

Spoiler:
Man was that rollercoaster battle with Mecha Bowser to in the first episode of level 4 sweet.

I'm taking my time and trying to get as many shines as I can in each world before moving on.

For those interested, below is a list of how many shines and blue coins are in each world from gamefaqs. It doesn't tell you how to do anything, just how many stages there are and how many shines and blue coins are in them. I stumbled across it when I was checking to see if you got a shine for getting 100 coins as in Mario 64, before wasting my time getting 100 coins.

Spoiler:

Normal Shines Per Stage: 8
Secret Shines Per Stage: 2
100 Coin Shines Per Stage: + 1
--------------------------------------
Total Shines Per Stage: 11
Total Number of Stages: x 7
Total Shines in Stages: 77

Blue Coins Per Stage: 30
Total Number of Stages: x 7
Total Blue Coins in Stages: 210
Blue Coins in Dolphic Town: 20
Blue Coins in Corona Mountain: + 10
Total Blue Coins: 240
Blue Coin Per Shine: / 10
Total Shines from Blue Coins: 24

Total Shines in Stages: 77
Total Shines from Blue Coins: 24
Total Shines in Dolphic Town: 17
Total Shines in the Airport: + 2
Total Shines Altogether: 120

(Note: on your "score" sheet the Shines from trading in Blue Coins count towardyour Dolphic Town total so, from the score sheet the total for Dolphic Town will actually go all the way up to 41.)

Needless to say, it's going to take a while to do all of that. The game is definitely tougher than Mario 64, and that's a good thing. I'm just having a blast with it. My only gripe was the camera, but once you get used to controlling it all the time, it's perfect. It's actually better, IMO, than having a camera follow you automatically because you have total control over it and can put it exactly where you want it most of the time, rather than being stuck with where ever the computer sticks it.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 08-28-02 at 09:14 PM.
Old 08-28-02, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm tired of people complaining about the camera. In a game with this much freedom to go where you want and do what you please, you have to be able to control the camera yourself. There's just no other possible way to do it.

Anyways, I have almost 60 shines. I'm not sure how many hours I've played, definitely over 10. I've spent most of my time completing Episode objectives. I've been to all the worlds (at least all the non-special ones) but I haven't completely completed any of them yet.
Old 08-28-02, 09:50 PM
Retired

I agree 100% about the camera. It just wouldn't work any other way with the amount of freedom you have in where you go in a level. There'd be terrible camera angles everywhere if if just followed you.

I'd have more shines, but my fiance is playing as well and we've been taking turns, so I haven't got to play as much as I'd like.

I think she has 15 shines.
Old 08-28-02, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Dont mean to hijack

But I think a good addition to this thread will be posting how many "Shines" you have.

So far I have 12
Old 08-28-02, 09:55 PM
Retired

Both me and Kellehair posted how many shines we've gotten so far already, so it's not an addition.
Old 08-28-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Both me and Kellehair posted how many shines we've gotten so far already, so it's not an addition.
No worries
Old 08-28-02, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Zero, you're moving on up with those shines.
Old 08-28-02, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by White Knight
Zero, you're moving on up with those shines.
heheh thanks . Oh while Im here did anyone else load up their Super Smash Bros. Melee to see if you got a new Sunshine trophy? I know we joked about it long ago, but I just wanna make sure Im not alone in trying.
Old 08-28-02, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've gotten around 22 shines right now. The objectives are getting really tough though.
Old 08-28-02, 11:27 PM

Matrixrok9, No kidding! I'm up to 23 shines and now it's getting harder. I'm going crazy each time Mario goes into that linear world where the "shadow Mario" steals your water gun. Those suckers are hard! The pinball machine is difficult as well.

Open question...Does it matter what fruits you feed Yoshi?
Old 08-29-02, 03:37 AM

God, I hate the camera. I just started playing and so many times when I try to center it behind me, I do a butt-stomp cause I'm in the air. D'oh!

I've got 10 shines so far. Woop!
Old 08-29-02, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think that I have like 9 shines so far, I'm doing a lot of exploring

What an amazing game. I'm so happy with it.

One question though. Does it matter what order you do things in? I've got one "episode" done in 3 of the locations. Should I do one location and then move to the next, or does it matter at all?

thanks.
Old 08-29-02, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Open question...Does it matter what fruits you feed Yoshi?
When you come across a Yoshi egg there's a picture a fruit above it and you have to feed it that type of fruit otherwise the egg won't hatch. After that Yoshi changes color depending on the friut it eats. That may or may not be important.

One question though. Does it matter what order you do things in?
It doesn't matter what order you do everything in. Some things can't be done until you've done some other things first but you'll usually know when you can and can't do something.
Old 08-29-02, 08:52 AM

Open question...Does it matter what fruits you feed Yoshi? [/B]
Yes. Depending on the fruit you feed it, Yoshi's spray will have a different effect on certain creatures.

Oh, and I have 120 shines.
Old 08-29-02, 08:54 AM

Thanks alexkat!
Old 08-29-02, 08:59 AM

Here's a helpful hint. In the warp world where the water Mario steals your pack, there are always mushrooms. A lot of times they are hidden so try to hip drop or break different things.

Spoiler:
In Gelato/Mamma Beach Story 1, the one you have to raise a sandcastle for, cross the first sand bridge and when you get to thewooden platform with the four nails, hip drop the nail on the back left, or southwest corner. You will get a mushroom.
Old 08-29-02, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
I've got 16 shines so far, but have a little over 30 blue coins I haven't cashed in yet. I was pretty on the fence with this game (not whether to buy it or not, just whether I should get it now or wait a couple months and pick it up used). Definitely made the right choice in picking it up last night.
Old 08-29-02, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm up to 10 Shines and having the time of my life!
Old 08-29-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

20 shines on about 6 hours of play I think. I am having a great time with this game...it is definitely tougher than Mario 64.

I also don't know why IGN had problems with the voices. I think the waterpack and
Spoiler:
Bowser's son
have great voices. The princess is a ditz, but she always has been...nothing new there.

Can't wait to see more of this game.
Old 08-29-02, 10:40 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Okay, have a gameplay question. It's about one of the 3rd or 4th areas you discover in the game:

Spoiler:
Picca Park

and it's the second shine, I believe:

Spoiler:
stupid beaver or whatever shooting the gun at me

Usually your waterpack gives you hints on enemies, but I'm getting nothing! Any tips for this one? Thanks.

X
Old 08-29-02, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Xander:
Spoiler:
Get in close and toss his bombs back at him. Wait until their timers are running out before throwing them. I think you have to spray the bombs with water before you can pick them up too. 3 bombs should finish him off, maybe 4.
Old 08-29-02, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Kellehair is mostly right, but
Spoiler:
You don't need to worry about the timers. Just spray a bomb with water, pick it up, and chuck it at him.
Old 08-29-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Mario's clean up crew

I was going to start a new thread about this but I thought it would be best to put in thie already made discussion thread. go to supermariosunshine.comand click on Fludd. There is a small diagram of the device (Its a cool little flash game) click and drag the peices to form Fludd. what happens next? Well just enter your email address and youll see .
Old 08-29-02, 02:05 PM
Banned

question:

Spoiler:
on one of the beach levels with the manta ray coming at your, spraying paint everywhere...what do you do? i tried cleaning up all the paint, but it does nothing b/c he comes and does it again to me. then i tried spraying him, but he keep multiplying. what am i doing wrong?
Old 08-29-02, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Max:
Spoiler:
Keep spraying the Manta Ray pieces. Once the pieces of him get small enough they will disappear.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.