DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Gamecube Controllers that won't break? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/231866-gamecube-controllers-wont-break.html)

Trigger 08-24-02 05:04 AM

Gamecube Controllers that won't break?

My roommate recently purchased a GC (so now I have all 4 consoles including Dreamcast in the house) and the analog stick on his controller is starting to get all loose like the ones at displays in Best Buy and Circuit City and everywhere. I thought they were always broken in stores because kids were rough with them, but my roommate's is already broken after such a short time with very little playtime on it. Did the controller come with a loose analog stick to begin with? Is there a 3rd party controller that is less prone to breaking? I know there's that wavebird thing which would be good since the cord is like 6 feet on the normal controller. Is that a good solid controller? It would also be nice if there was a controller that was made for an adult's hand size rather than for a child... this controller is too tiny for my taste.

huh? 08-24-02 06:00 AM

it was probably loose from the start. i have 4 controllers, including the wavebird, and none of them have broken. i've even dropped a couple of them by accident. i even sat on one that was sandwiched between couch cushions, and it is fine. could have just been defective. tell him to buy another first party controller, it will be fine.

sniper308 08-24-02 08:55 AM

The WaveBird Rocks. I love mine ... I haven't played it extensively with games that really work over the controller (I have RE, and just picked up Bloody Roar which will put some miles on it & Batman Vengeance), but that thing is great if you don't have to have a Rumble feature. It is so much more comfortable to play from 12 feet away than sitting right on top of the TV. I'd recommend PM'ing another store at Best Buy, and using one of the $5 coupons from the gaming magazines. That's what I did. Brought it down from $34.99, to $24.99 ($29.99 PM - $5 coupon)

Kellehair 08-24-02 09:25 AM

Between me and my brother we have 5 controllers and none of them have broken. I think you just got unlucky.

It would also be nice if there was a controller that was made for an adult's hand size rather than for a child... this controller is too tiny for my taste.
It is made for an adult's hands. You may not like it but there's no reason to say something like that.

Josh H 08-24-02 09:34 AM

He probably just got just got a dud. I've got 2 plain Nintendo GCN controllers, a Wavebird, and a Pelican G3 and haven't had any problems with any of them.

The Wavebird is definitely the best of the bunch. I'd stay away from the third party ones. I just picked up one cheap to have four controllers, because I hardly every play 4-player games so I couldn't justify the cost of buying another first party controller.

Tamrok 08-24-02 10:04 AM

Originally posted by Kellehair

It is made for an adult's hands.

Maybe a Japanese adult... ;)

Groucho 08-24-02 10:11 AM

I've had my Cube since launch and the two controllers I got with it play like they were brand new.

The true test will be how well they survive Mario Party 4. Those games are always hard on controllers (and player's hands!)

Goldberg74 08-24-02 10:46 AM

Well Trigger, my Spice Controller broke after about 4 months. The analog stick didn't become loose, it would just keep going to the left on the selection menus making it really hard to select a character in Super Monkey Ball. There were instructions on how to clean the controllers, but it didn't work. So I put it in the closet. Since then I have purchased two Pelican G3s and a WaveBird (and will get another WaveBird when I get my coupon in the Sunshine bundle this next week) and I haven't had a problem with any other them.

But if you are looking for some controllers check my post here:

FS/FT: Two GameCube controllers w/ extensions...

(BTW, I pulled the Spice controller out last night and it actually worked okay, leaned a little to the right but oh well, my daughter thinks she's doing okay with it... she's two.)

Aghama 08-24-02 11:25 AM

Could we drop the whole "hand" debate. It's virtually the same size as the Playstation controller, and no one would argue that was made for a child's hands.

Trigger 08-24-02 11:33 AM

Either way - the stock controller feels too small for me and I want a bigger one.

tanman 08-24-02 11:49 AM

the one that madcatz makes is larger. i bought it when 20$ for a controller was cheap. now i wish i hadn't, but maybe you will like it.

Josh H 08-24-02 12:19 PM

The madcatz one is the only one I've seen that's noticeably larger, it's kind of ugly, but it might work fine. I try to stay a way from third party controllers, but I didn't like the madcatz dreampad dreamcast controller a lot.

I was going to suggest getting an adapter to use a Dual Shock PS2 controller, but if size is your only need that's not going to help as the Dual Shock is pretty much the same size as the plain GCN controller.

Trigger 08-24-02 01:06 PM

I try to stay away from Madcatz, is that all there is in the larger department? What about the Pelican one?

For some reason, the PS2 controller (while it does seem kinda small to me) doesn't really bother me as much. My fingers all have to contort to hit the buttons - especially the shoulder buttons) on the GC controller. Besides, there's 3rd party PS2 controllers that are a good size.

Interact just came out with a good Xbox controller that's a perfect size for my hand... it's smaller than the one that comes with it and bigger than the japanese controller. Wish I could get an adapter so I can use that on the GC.

Thrillhouse 08-24-02 01:22 PM

Originally posted by Kellehair
It is made for an adult's hands. You may not like it but there's no reason to say something like that.
Dude he wasn't making fun of you precious Gamecube. It was just his opinion.

Kellehair 08-24-02 01:59 PM

Blow me. His false statement was a small jab at Nintendo. I don't think he meant anything by it but it was unnecessary.

If I said "the Xbox controller is made for retards with oversize retard hands and crooked fingers" I'm sure someone would object.

zig 08-24-02 02:19 PM

Hmm.. I love it when people are trying to make a statement then misspell one of the key words.. cracks me up. Anyway.. people make a lot of subtle jabs at things they don't care for.. I tend to ignore them(the jabs not the people).

IGNCube has a roundup of 5 3rd party controllers..

http://gear.ign.com/articles/365/365950p1.html

Their conclusion is they are all worse than the official controller, but the InterAct is the best 3rd party controller. But they all have pretty much the same size as the regular controller so I guess it's no good for you :P People exaggerate the GC controller's smallness almost as much as they exaggerate the xbox controller's largeness(when the thing that actually sucks about the xbox controller is the layout).

Trigger 08-24-02 02:21 PM

Look - I didn't want to start fights by saying the controllers were too small. They seem to me like they were designed for smaller hands - I just have big hands and prefer larger controllers... I said adult hands because children tend to have smaller hands than adults. I wasn't jabbing at Nintendo with that one. Besides - I don't see how saying something was made for children is a jab. I watch cartoons and play video games and I eat cocoa pebbles. Who cares if it's for kids? Adults can play with kid stuff... it doesn't make them a kid. If I had said something like Gamecube is for retards with crooked retard hands, then that would be slanderous. Anyway - I'm just trying to get an idea of what larger controllers are out there cuz the ones that come with the system are too small for my tastes.

Trigger 08-24-02 02:25 PM

Zig - I like the layout of the xbox controller better than any other controller - that's personal preference for ya. It's great for FPS games where the PS2 controller isn't as good. The GCN seems to have a similar advantage over the PS2 in that department, now all they need to do is come out with a good FPS game... hope Metriod turns out to be better than what I saw at E3.

Static Cling 08-24-02 02:27 PM

There's no need to blow anyone. Let's drop the whole "hand" aspect of the discussion, since I don't really see it doing anything but ticking people off. I suggest that we all calm down and get back on the topic... durable GC controllers.

joltaddict 08-24-02 03:23 PM

I have beat the hell out of my Spice one and its fine so another vote for you just got a bum one.

Josh H 08-24-02 03:24 PM

The pelican controller isn't any bigger trigger, and it pretty much sucks. The analog stick isn't nearly as responsive as the first party one. It's very tough to play something like Super Monkey Ball that requires precise control with it.

I hadn't considered third party PS2 controllers, that would certainly be an option if you find one that suits you. I'm pretty sure there's nothing much bigger than the GCN controller besides the Madcatz one, but I haven't looked around since the Wavebird came out.

I feel just the opposite about the PS2 controller. I have a hard time using the trigger buttons (as I did on the SNES controller which had them in the same places). On the GCN controller my fingers fall perfectly on the R and L triggers, it's the first controller I've ever used that I kept my fingers on the triggers the whole time. On the dual shock I've gotten used to keeping my right finger on R1, but I just can't do it with my left finger. It stays tucked under the controller, making it more difficult to use the L1 and L2 trigger. The Z trigger on the GCN controller is somewhat awkward, but really no worse than R1 on the Dual shock or SNES controller IMO.

Also, the analog stick on the dual shock is in an awkward place. It's better to have the sticks staggered like the GCN controller IMO. In other words, I'd like it if the D-pad and Analog stick were swapped around. That way my thumb rests naturally on the analog stick, and has to stretch in the rare even of using the d-pad. Rather than the other way around.

But the PS2 controller is definitely funtional, it's just not as comfortable as the GCN controller for me.

joltaddict 08-24-02 03:30 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
The pelican controller isn't any bigger trigger, and it pretty much sucks. The analog stick isn't nearly as responsive as the first party one. It's very tough to play something like Super Monkey Ball that requires precise control with it.
Theyre a little bigger, but theyre not more comfy, IMO. I think the first party controllers are perfectly ergonomic, even after obsessive Smash Bro-ing I never got cramped.

joltaddict 08-24-02 03:37 PM

http://www.theforumisdown.com/uploadfiles/0802/GCb.jpg
The middle one is a Pelican and the other two are Nintendos.

Josh H 08-24-02 03:48 PM

I guess it is slightly bigger. I've only used mine a couple of times when I first got it. It just gathers dust most of the time as I hardly ever have 4 people over playing games.

I actually kind of ended up with 4 controllers by accident. I bought the G3 and launch because it was cheaper and I wanted something to play SMB 2 player with my fiance. But it sucked and neither of us wanted to use it, so I bought a Spice controller. Then the Wavebird cameout, and after trying one I had to have one. :D

joltaddict 08-24-02 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Then the Wavebird cameout, and after trying one I had to have one. :D
I was in Target the other day, i only went in to get Pulp Fiction and I had to talk myself down from walking out with one. I was holding it going "You DO NOT need this, You DO NOT need this, You DO NOT need this". :D