DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Did anyone else see the Mario commercial during WWE Raw? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/228830-did-anyone-else-see-mario-commercial-during-wwe-raw.html)

Flay 07-29-02 10:36 PM

Did anyone else see the Mario commercial during WWE Raw?

I was flipping through the channels and stopped at WWE Raw for a moment. A commercial break insues and I am about to change the channel when a giant foam Mario pops up on the screen.

The foam suit was similar to a Disneyworld character's suit. He had his water pack on and he was scrubing dirt off walls. A very cheesy song about cleaning starts playing and he said something like "C'mon kids! Mario can't clean this alone!" A bunch of little kids came over and helped him clean up the mess. Then they played a few seconds of gameplay footage followed by the Super Mario Sunshine logo.

IMO, the commercial wasn't attempting to be funny or sarcastic, like the SSB commercial, which is belly-laugh funny.

Just seems to be an odd choice for airtime during a show that's watched by 18 to 34 year old males ready to see hardcore violence and scantily clad women, again IMO.

If I can find a movie capture, I'll update the thread with the link.

Josh H 07-29-02 10:46 PM

A lot of 18-34 year olds (myself included) grew up playing Mario, plus wrestling is very popular among the earlier teen set as well, so it makes good sense to advertise it then.

Sounds like it was a pretty lame commercial though.

Flay 07-29-02 10:58 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
A lot of 18-34 year olds (myself included) grew up playing Mario, plus wrestling is very popular among the earlier teen set as well, so it makes good sense to advertise it then.
Oh I'm not saying they should ignore 18-34 year olds. I'm just saying this isn't how you will sell them SMS. They should have just shown 30 seconds of gameplay.

Here are the lyrics for the sing-a-long song:

Clean is better than dirty and dirty is meaner than clean.
Lets all lend a helping hand, Mario can't do it alone.
He sprays his water to fly around, and clean the sludge thats on the ground.

Josh H 07-29-02 11:01 PM

Oh I agree. Most game commercials in general show a bunch of stupid crap instead of gameplay footage. In fact, I can't think of any that haven't had more stupid crap than actual gameplay footage.

It's always annoyed the hell out of me.

zig 07-29-02 11:20 PM

Wow, that sounds like a really awful commercial. Sometimes I think Nintendo wants to encourage the kiddy image instead of get rid of it.

IIG 07-30-02 12:10 AM

Originally posted by zig
Wow, that sounds like a really awful commercial. Sometimes I think Nintendo wants to encourage the kiddy image instead of get rid of it.
Well, I think that Nintendo cares very little about people's thoughts on their "kiddy image", and they continue to create and promote games as they see fit.

Mattalos 07-30-02 12:32 AM

Two gamers talk about the commercial via AIM -- the names have been ommited:

person1: i saw a mario sunshine commercial
person2: Yeah I heard it was gay.
person2: Really gay.
person1: and i was like do they not want to sell the game

Talk amongst yourselves.

Thunderball 07-30-02 01:07 AM

Worst
Commerical
Ever

CreatureX 07-30-02 02:58 AM

NOA should have went with the Japanese commercials.

Flay 07-30-02 07:23 AM

Apparently there is more than 1 commercial playing. The one I saw had Mario cleaning up the side of a building.

Here is a second one of Mario cleaning up a Park. The rest is the same. I could only find it in real media:

http://members.aol.com/narbosa/mario.rm

I chuckled at the old guy in the motorized wheelchair, but the cheese factor is still a 9 out of 10. The more I watch it, the more I think it's supposed to be a joke. It just doesn't convey it's sarcastic nature very well.

It also doesn't help that they were played several times on the Kids WB programming time yesterday. That makes me think they are taking themselves seriously.

Edit: Found a Divx format too:

http://home.nyc.rr.com/namlas/mario.zip

ziniguez 07-30-02 08:02 AM

this commercial rocks. guess the parody flew over your heads.

Flay 07-30-02 08:58 AM

Originally posted by ziniguez
this commercial rocks. guess the parody flew over your heads.
Oh, I see a parody. Just not a good one. American humor is not one of subtlety. It needs a punchline. There's no stinger to enforce the fact that this is a bit of a parody. SSB commercial was vastly better in that regard.

Also, they aren't only using it as a parody if they are airing it on the Kids WB. Little kids will eat up the "Barney-style" sing-a-long.

ziniguez 07-30-02 09:14 AM

c'mon, using the cheap-ass mario suit gives it away.

Mattalos 07-30-02 10:28 AM

Oh God my eyes.

YujiNaka 07-30-02 12:07 PM

SEGA did commercials of just gameplay footage for a while, it was their "hardcore" line of commercials..

But other than those, I dont remember any commercials showing more gameplay than otherwise.

-Jim

Trigger 07-30-02 12:23 PM

It's a parody allright, but it's still pretty Deleted - Static.

Thunderball 07-30-02 12:27 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
It's a parody allright, but it's still pretty Deleted.
:up:

enthused 07-30-02 04:49 PM

a parody of what? i realized it wasn't taking itself seriously, but what commercial is this one parody...ing?

darkside 07-30-02 07:07 PM

Like they even need to advertise this game. A two second spot saying Super Mario Sunshine comes out on August 28 would have been plenty.

Josh H 07-30-02 10:05 PM

That's true darkside. Mario sells itself, they just need to let people know when it's coming out.

I just hate that it's lame because it's fodder for the Nintendo haters. At least that's not a problem on this board, but I'm sure it will be on gamers.com and other sites that have fanboy/system war problems.

Lethal Nemesis 07-30-02 11:26 PM

That Mario commercial wasn't very good, but the least they could do was get a better Mario costume.

Dean D. 07-31-02 05:50 AM

Most game commercials in general show a bunch of stupid crap instead of gameplay footage. In fact, I can't think of any that haven't had more stupid crap than actual gameplay footage.
Grand Theft Auto 3 and Max Payne show nothing but gameplay footage in their commercials. GTA3 has the great opera music playing while showing the footage.

-Dean-

Chaos 08-11-02 09:53 AM

So what is the commercial a parody of???????

warcp 08-11-02 10:18 AM

i don't think it was going for parody, but instead was trying to get that "so cheesy it's cool" feel, but instead just seemed odd.

Gizmo 08-11-02 11:01 AM

I seriously love this commercial. That song is so catchy! Anyways, I can see why you may think its cheesy and crappy, but its trying to educate people on the game. Most people who have played any Mario game, think its the same as Mario 64. Atleast the commercial is showing him doing something else other than running and jumping. You have a new tool, and a new objective...... I just woke up, see if that all made sense.

Also, anyone have a link to the SSB:M Commercial?