Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

xXx - Triple X with Vin Diesel - the Video Game?

Old 08-10-02, 09:05 AM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
xXx - Triple X with Vin Diesel - the Video Game?

Okay - I just saw this movie tonight and all I could think the whole time was how good a video game it would make. Kinda 3rd person shooter that's a mix between Metal Gear and Hitman. All the gadgets and weapons and locations. The movie played out like a game rather than a movie. Anyone else notice this? After the film, I told my friend that I thought the movie was probably a multimillion dollar advertisement for a video game that is set to come out sometime in the future. It seems inevitable to me that this will end up a game... my best guess would be that it would end up on the Xbox. Any word on if this is under development? Anyone else see the potential of one gun with different bullets, a pair of see-thru-walls-and-clothes binoculars, a GTO stocked with gadgets and goodies, and several ideal locations that would make for really cool levels? I'm sure if they make a game it'll end up being crappy (Sum of All Fears anyone?) and rushed, but a guy can dream can't he?
Trigger is offline  
Old 08-10-02, 10:41 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 1,331
Yeah it would prolly be the basic...the movie was successful lets crank out some tshirts and a video game! Then again if they took their time it could really be sumptin!
boobietheclown is offline  
Old 08-10-02, 10:48 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 934
Here's a little info on that whole games though with the movie...

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/va/2002...894992700.html


All Variety Movie News

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Sony hopes "XXX" has gamers thinking PlayStation
Friday August 9 8:25 PM ET


Just as the alluring smell of popcorn keeps movie concession stands humming, Sony is hoping the smell of corporate synergy this weekend will send moviegoers shopping -- for the PlayStation.

The new Sony action film "XXX," opening on Friday, features a major plug for the company's market-leading game console and action scenes that seem lifted from a video game.

The film's tough-guy protagonist Xander Cage (played by Vin Diesel) jumps his dirt bike over an exploding cocaine mill, snowboards down a steep slope ahead of a crushing avalanche and yells "Think PlayStation" as a kind of rallying cry.

ADVERTISEMENT


Cage also uses the phrase "first-person shooter" -- a standard term to describe the genre of often-controversial games such as "Doom" and "Quake."

New York Times movie critic Elvis Mitchell, in a generally negative review, conceded that "XXX" was "guaranteed to coax delirious oohs and aahs from the PlayStation crowd."

The PlayStation, the world's leading video game console (both in its current PS2 incarnation and the mid-1990s PSX version), is a product of Japanese electronics and media giant Sony Corp ( news - web sites). , while "XXX" is being distributed by Columbia Pictures, also a Sony unit.

The film's action-packed, youth-driven feel lends itself naturally to video games, at a time when the game industry is posting record profits and video games are stretching beyond their core audience toward the mainstream media.

While there will eventually be an "XXX" video game for the PS2, the only "XXX" game on store shelves Friday is a version for Nintendo ( news - web sites) Co. Ltd.'s Game Boy Advance.

Earlier this year, when Sony's movie arm released "Spider-Man," the story of the web-spinning superhero that went on to be an international box-office smash, versions of the game were available on the same day as the movie for all gaming platforms, including the PS2.

In both cases, the publisher of the game was the same: Santa Monica, California-based Activision Inc. , the No. 2 independent game publisher.

Activision's "Spider-Man" plan paid off: the game sold so well that the company beat Wall Street earnings estimates for the June quarter by 13 cents per share, and it has raised its fiscal 2003 guidance three times in the last two months.

Activision announced a licensing deal to produce games for all platforms based on "XXX" in mid-May. The license also extends to games based on any sequels to the movie or comic books or TV series based on the film.

But Will Kassoy, a vice president at Activision, said there was not enough time to develop console games based on the film in time to launch simultaneously.

"We're developing the sequel as we speak," Kassoy told Reuters, adding that the first console games based on the film would likely come out at the same time as a sequel to the movie in 2004.

Reuters/Variety
Cyberock is offline  
Old 08-10-02, 07:11 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 716
This movie was horrible but it would make for a good video game and i KNOW its horrible cause when i was watching it ppl were saying *omg thats so cheesy* over and over
BBEANLPHIE is offline  
Old 08-10-02, 07:28 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
Originally posted by BBEANLPHIE
This movie was horrible but it would make for a good video game and i KNOW its horrible cause when i was watching it ppl were saying *omg thats so cheesy* over and over
That's how you know it's horrible? I usually make up my own mind about things.
Trigger is offline  
Old 08-12-02, 01:22 AM
  #6  
Shawn
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Re: xXx - Triple X with Vin Diesel - the Video Game?

Originally posted by Trigger
Okay - I just saw this movie tonight and all I could think the whole time was how good a video game it would make. Kinda 3rd person shooter that's a mix between Metal Gear and Hitman. All the gadgets and weapons and locations. The movie played out like a game rather than a movie. Anyone else notice this? After the film, I told my friend that I thought the movie was probably a multimillion dollar advertisement for a video game that is set to come out sometime in the future. It seems inevitable to me that this will end up a game... my best guess would be that it would end up on the Xbox. Any word on if this is under development? Anyone else see the potential of one gun with different bullets, a pair of see-thru-walls-and-clothes binoculars, a GTO stocked with gadgets and goodies, and several ideal locations that would make for really cool levels? I'm sure if they make a game it'll end up being crappy (Sum of All Fears anyone?) and rushed, but a guy can dream can't he?
Is the Sum of All Fears already out? And, if so, which consoles is it on?
Edit: Thanks in advance.
 
Old 08-12-02, 01:36 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Posts: 934
Re: Re: xXx - Triple X with Vin Diesel - the Video Game?

Originally posted by Shawn

Is the Sum of All Fears already out? And, if so, which consoles is it on?
Edit: Thanks in advance.
SUm of All Fears is only on the PC right now. The game release for consoles is suppose to be October but I've heard they may wait until the Movie DVD is released.
Cyberock is offline  
Old 08-12-02, 02:04 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
I don't know if they completely redid the console version, but the budget PC title is barely worth the 20 bucks they ask for it. It'll debut for 50 bucks on a console and provide no mod community and I don't even know about online support. The graphics certainly won't be any better. I'd avoid it the PC version, but I'll wait and see if they totally change the console version for the better. Unlikely though.
Trigger is offline  
Old 08-12-02, 09:13 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 3,090
There is a xXx game that has been released:

http://pocket.ign.com/articles/367/367320p1.html
Liquid Death is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.