DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   NFL 2K3 Vs Madden 2003 ? Which do you plan to get for your respective system ? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/228570-nfl-2k3-vs-madden-2003-do-you-plan-get-your-respective-system.html)

OzFan23 08-09-02 09:03 PM

NFL 2K3 Vs Madden 2003 ? Which do you plan to get for your respective system ?

I am trying to decide which football game to get. I can only afford one or the other because of some other games I want.

Which are you guys going to be getting ?

Kellehair 08-09-02 09:08 PM

I'd prefer to get NFL 2k3 because I already have EA's college football game. I think having 2 EA football games would be a bit repetitive. That being said, I'll probably just get the better game. I just don't know which that is yet.

ten41 08-09-02 09:23 PM

NFL 2k3 - madden isn't online for the x-box

SpacemanSpiff 08-09-02 09:25 PM

prob nfl2k3 since i havent liked maddens 2002

who knows ill try both maybe

madmike 08-09-02 09:38 PM

NFL 2K3--I think the graphics are more realistic and its just more fun.

Lethal Nemesis 08-09-02 09:39 PM

I know that both of these games are really, really good, but after weighing this for a while, I decided to go with Madden again this year. PSM said that 2K3 looks better, plays better, and sounds better, but they still picked Madden because "it has more depth". Personally, I prefer Madden a little more because of the running physics. While the turning-on-a-dime type running in 2K3 may be more preferable to some, I like the "realism" in Madden.

Gallant Pig 08-09-02 10:32 PM

Here's my thought process for deciding sports:

Gamecube: If you own any other system, there's no reason to get any sports game for the Gamecube. The memorycard is a major thorn in its heel and shakey Online is the nail in the coffin. If you own 2 systems and GCN is one of them, forget about sports titles period. (I refuse to buy 3rd party memory chips, they tend to be junk at best)

PS2: EA Sports titles will be Online exclusively and free to play online (after you buy the BB adapter). Now that's pretty nice. I may have to reexamine which sports title I get based on this. If I can somehow get myself to enjoy Madden then I may find myself going the PS2 route + modem. The memory card is kinda a big deal since I think Madden is a memory hog, but thanks to a generous memory size it's more of an afterthought as opposed to Nintendo's giant memory card mistake.

Xbox: I like sticking to sports titles with the Xbox and after recently playing NCAA 2003 I found it so ugly it was hard to look at after being spoiled with the NFL Fever. I wasn't even crazy about the gameplay but hopefully I'll warm up to that. I like the Online system and both NFL 2K3 and Fever am I considering. If I go for one of those games as my football game then Xbox it is.

At this point I'm practically leaning towards Madden just because I'd prefer to hold off from immediately signing up for XBL and may get it when Halo 2 comes out.

We'll see for sure... but damn that EA online exclusive is nice for Sony.

Abranut 08-09-02 11:04 PM

I'm going with Madden for PS2. I enjoyed the NFL2K's on Dreamcast, but I found the AI really annoying at times. I haven't played a Madden game since Madden 2000 for N64, and I thought I'd try out my old favorite...maybe even online this time!

Mezzanine 08-09-02 11:42 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Gamecube: If you own any other system, there's no reason to get any sports game for the Gamecube.
Well, if it was between PS2 and GameCube, the GameCube's four controller ports could be a deciding factor for some people (including me).

As for the topic at hand, I'm going with NFL 2K3. I haven't played a Sega football game since the Genesis, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try. The Madden games are always good, but one new football game a year is enough for me.

Gallant Pig 08-09-02 11:48 PM

Originally posted by Mezzanine

Well, if it was between PS2 and GameCube, the GameCube's four controller ports could be a deciding factor for some people (including me).

As for the topic at hand, I'm going with NFL 2K3. I haven't played a Sega football game since the Genesis, so I'm looking forward to giving it a try. The Madden games are always good, but one new football game a year is enough for me.

Interesting point. Of course you could always get the multitap but it's extra. Speaking of controllers, just how is the Cube's controller work with the controller configuration of something like Madden? Seems like that pesky Z button could be problematic.

agrall 08-10-02 12:01 AM

Defintely NFL2k3 X-Box.

Kellehair 08-10-02 12:09 AM

The Cube's controller is exactly the reason why I get sports games for my Cube instead of my PS2. I can't remember what the Z button is used for but I know I didn't have any problems.

Gallant Pig 08-10-02 12:54 AM

Originally posted by Kellehair
The Cube's controller is exactly the reason why I get sports games for my Cube instead of my PS2. I can't remember what the Z button is used for but I know I didn't have any problems.
Is there a Cube adapter out there yet that will let you use it on a PS2 or Xbox?

Mike_AA 08-10-02 01:29 AM

I'm having the same problem for my Cube, deciding between Madden and 2K3.

I think it comes down to personal tastes...Madden 2001 and 2002 were fun, but I never fully enjoyed the gameplay and didn't necessarily have any desire for Madden's "depth". Sega has ALWAYS impressed me with their sports games (can't wait 'til NBA2K3) and from the looks of it, NFL2K3 is a winner.

IGN raved about the animations and such, and that, along with great gameplay of course, is very important. As of now, it's 2K3, but I'm sure I'll give it a rent or try in the store first.

dvdsteve2000 08-10-02 02:24 AM

THE clincher for me is the way the plays are shown on the screen. Madden's are easy to maneuver through, easy to understand, and don't take long to view them. With 2K2 (X-BOX), it seemed alot more difficult to learn, remember, cycle through, and comprehend the plays. I also feel 'rushed' playing the Sega football. Everything seems to happen 'suddenly & choppy'. I got a little used to the Dreamcast 2K, but that was only because Madden wasn't available, and Dreamcast was the 'hot new system'. All things considered now, it's Madden all the way, baby!!!

Also, NOTHING can touch the franchise mode of Madden. I have as much fun doing off-season tasks as I do playing a game.

YujiNaka 08-10-02 06:03 AM

Played some NFL Fever 2003 (xbox) and NFL 2k3 (ps2) today at Gamestop..

I am a Sega Sports man myself, so I didnt really get into Fever.. Liked it a bit better than Madden, but I havent really given either any real time compared to the NFL series, which I have been playing heavily since NFL 2k on Dreamcast.

NFL 2k3 looked and played awesome on the PS2... I am planning to get it next week for Xbox.. The ESPN presentation was great, and the overall game just seemed very refined and "tweaked"..

Cant wait for it
-Jim

boobietheclown 08-10-02 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig

At this point I'm practically leaning towards Madden just because I'd prefer to hold off from immediately signing up for XBL and may get it when Halo 2 comes out.

We'll see for sure... but damn that EA online exclusive is nice for Sony.

Out of curiosity why would you be avoiding XBL? Cant be cost, b/c the PS2 hd and modem adapter will cost just as much. Also, if you didnt/dont like NCAA 2003 are you sure about Madden??? Arent they the same?

To stay on topic, I will be getting NFL2k3 for XBOX and will sign up for XBL day one. :)

boobietheclown 08-10-02 09:37 AM

also...here is another thread on this topic(it started out ok and just turned into console bashing).

;)

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...boobietheclown

agrall 08-10-02 09:43 AM

Also, NOTHING can touch the franchise mode of Madden. I have as much fun doing off-season tasks as I do playing a game.
Actually, the reviews are saying that NFL2k3 has the better, deeper franchise mode this year... :)

s}{ammer 08-10-02 10:21 AM

the franchise stuff and all that "depth" means little to me. I want to play this game till my fingers are blistered and replace it next season with the next one. I was going to go with NFL2k3 before I spoke with a few people from my broncos message board. Since everyone else is getting Madden, I think I will go with it just so we can hook up with some online games.

Kellehair 08-10-02 10:55 AM

Buy Madden 2003 for any system this week at CC and get a $10 gift card instantly!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=228418

boobietheclown 08-10-02 11:11 AM

Originally posted by Kellehair
Buy Madden 2003 for any system this week at CC and get a $10 gift card instantly!

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=228418

anyone seen any deals for NFL2k3...??? If not I guess I can just use my new gift card at EB.

darkside 08-10-02 11:32 AM

NFL2K3 because I prefer it to Madden.

BTW, trade in any two PS2, GameCube, or Xbox games and get any new Sega Sports title free. I'm sure there are limits to the games you can trade but its a good deal.

agrall 08-10-02 11:35 AM

Originally posted by boobietheclown

anyone seen any deals for NFL2k3...??? If not I guess I can just use my new gift card at EB.

Since most stores make their sales fliers weeks ahead of time, they probably do not relect the more recent release date for NFL2k3...

Also, for what it's worth, I've been a Madden owner for years. There are 2 reasons I'm going NFL2k3 this year:

1. The improvements they have made across the board in NFL2k3, while Madden only has slight changes, really look as if it has pushed NFL2k3 past Madden.

2. EA lost my money when they decided to be pigheaded and leave online out of the X-Box version. On top of that, they removed online franchises from the PC version.

Michael T Hudson 08-10-02 12:15 PM

2k3 for the Xbox for me. I just hope my lonely DC is not upset with me. :)