Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Dead to Rights.. Anyone buying it? Any thoughts?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Dead to Rights.. Anyone buying it? Any thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by SuprVgeta
(btw, I LOVED Die Hard Arcade as well back in the day, Panzer Dragoon Zwei and that NEARLY made me buy the Sega Saturn, thank god I didn't)
I love my Saturn, granted a lot of the great games on it are imports but hey I like being abel to switch between my characters in XMen VS Street Fighter.

Is Dead to Rights supposed to be relased on Ps2 as well or is this an XBox only title. If so thats one more reason to buy one.
Old 09-03-02, 01:57 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
EGM has a policy of not reviewing unfinished games.

I'm guessing they just got it earlier than the online sites, which is a possibility as they are on a tighter (earlier) deadline, and they are the most read console gaming magazine.

Of course I have no way of knowing, it would just be odd for them to have reviewed an unfinished game when they've stated several times they don't review unfinished games.

I mean the Eternal Darkness review was a month late for this very reason.
Old 09-03-02, 01:58 AM
Retired

Dead to Rights is coming to all systems.
Old 09-03-02, 02:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
EGM has a policy of not reviewing unfinished games.
Really? I know of a few games they've reviewed that weren't "finished" ...

But I can't get into specifics.
Old 09-03-02, 01:15 PM
Retired

Like I said, I've just read in the magazine, and in posts by editors on their forum, that they don't.

Whether they're 100% true to their word is a different story.
Old 09-03-02, 02:32 PM
Banned

JoshTinkle,

GameInformer is actually the biggest gaming magazine in terms of readership/circulation now.. Not EGM.

-Jim
Old 09-03-02, 06:33 PM
Retired

Oh, that's strange as it sucks. I guess it's because of the dorks at gamestop whoring the subscription everytime you buy something.

I was just going by the Ziff Davis site as I noticed it said EGM was the largest when I was changing my address the other day.
Old 09-06-02, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow!!

I'm in chapter 4 and this game get harder and harder but I love it. The way you kill the criminals are cool.

who else is enjoying this title?
Old 09-07-02, 04:24 PM
Banned

This game seems pretty d*mn cool, as we just rented it two days ago after we beat buffy.

Going to have to say I prefer Max Payne so far, as its grittier and I prefer the controls better. But DTR is quite an awesome game.
Old 09-08-02, 07:45 PM

i like it cause it is an actually challneging video game, as much as i like halo,i could make it through on normal without much complexity involved. although em and a buddy are having a hell of a time on legendary
Old 09-08-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
I know what you mean. Chapter 2 (3?) in the prison was a real nutbuster, and it woulda been nicer with more moves.

Chapter 4 was going pretty well till I got hung up trying to get past Lotus. It took me a looong time to figure out that she's the only one you *have* to kill in order to make it out -- trying to get everyone was virtually impossible.

The disarms/shadow would also be a lot more useful if you could use them on "everyone" other than the bosses. Not being able to use them on the "semi-bosses" like Lotus's underlings is really tough since you have to keep cycling to find a good target and for instance, the underlings and the Massage girls look almost identical.

Compared to that room, the whole graveyard level was a breeze. Got up to the helicopter shooter before I had to return the rental. It's a really tough game, but it's nice that you'll never have to replay a really long section if you die -- unlike Halo. Think I'll be buying this one.

Halo Legendary on the other hand is driving me nuts. I thought heroic was tough the first time, but going through legendary single player is virtually impossible. I got up to a point in "halo" before I hit a checkpoint with just one health unit and no more first aid kits -- in other words, screwed. Had to restart the level and it's really driving me crazy. Started another heroic game so I wouldn't feel so frustrated. It's just funny how after playing legendary (even if you don't get too far), Heroic is a cakewalk.

Tuan Jim
Old 09-09-02, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got Dead to Rights a couple days ago, haven't had a chance to play it yet though. I'm still playing Mario Sunshine, up to 54 shines woo hoo!
Old 09-09-02, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

think.......

Wouldn't be cool if there was cooperative multiplayer in Dead to Rights?
Old 09-11-02, 10:43 AM

I was having a good time with this game - while its not Max Payne, the gunbattles are a hoot.

But now I'm in prison. I have to get 25 packs of cigarettes. I have only two. I spent a fair while last night on the weightlifting mini-game, and haven't beaten it yet.

Those of you who've passed the prison level - do I actually have to beat 25 mini-games? Please say it ain't so!!!
Old 09-11-02, 12:28 PM

There is not 25 mini games. Once you complete the 3 in the gym. Your done for mini games except one more. I won't tell you what you have to do though.
Old 09-11-02, 01:41 PM

Fair enough, Kegman!

Thanks for the good news.
Old 10-01-02, 08:47 AM

I rented it and was glad I didn't buy it. It was okay and some of the levels were interesting, but the mini-games do get a little old. My biggest complaint is having an enemy "appear" behind my back and shoot me. Doesn't matter if you clear a room, enemies will just materialize once you have your back turned. Just seems like a lazy way for the developers to make the game harder.
Old 10-01-02, 11:05 AM

I rented it this weekend and I'm up to Chapter 10. I'm hoping to finish it before I have to return it.

The graphics are pretty good, sometimes they look terrible though (like the stripper mini-game). Environments are nice, with decent fogg effects.

The gameplay is pretty fun, but the camera control drives me nuts. I keep ending up with the camera in a wall while I'm trying to fight. I like the minigames....they break up the monotony of enter room...kill 8-10 guys....go to next room. It gets repetative at times.

I like the story though and that's keeping me interested.