DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   How to play playstation .movs on computer? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/227354-how-play-playstation-movs-computer.html)

Crazy Aoshi 08-04-02 03:19 PM

How to play playstation .movs on computer?

I thought it would be cool if I could play some of the cut scenes from Final Fantasy VII for example, on my computer. I know how to get the files, they are just .mov files. but when I try to play them in quicktime, it says it does not understand the file...just to try, I also gave real player and windows media player a shot but they couldn't do it either. But I would think that quicktime, a program created to play .mov files, could handle it...I wonder what I'm doing wrong?

Any info is much appreciated, thank you.

Shawn 08-04-02 03:59 PM

Well, I dont really know what I'm talking about, but....when I downloaded some .avi files, I thought that QuickTime or Windows Media Player would play them, but they didn't, so I downloaded DivX Player 2.0 Alpha and that played them, maybe that would work? Again, I'm not sure, but it worked for me.:)

Crazy Aoshi 08-04-02 04:24 PM

I tried the Divx 2.0, but it just froze up my computer and I had to shut it down. Thanks for trying though...

Anyone else?

Shawn 08-04-02 05:34 PM

Youre welcome, I'm sorry it didnt help at all though.:(

Mattalos 08-04-02 06:02 PM

What are you using to extract the files from the game disc? PSXVideo works the best -- just pretty slow to render out.

Crazy Aoshi 08-04-02 06:04 PM

They are Final Fantasy VII .MOV files. I used ISObusater to get them out.

Mattalos 08-04-02 06:50 PM

Erm ... just because they say MOV doesn't mean they're actually MOV files.

tygloalex 08-05-02 10:42 PM

Originally posted by Mattalos
Erm ... just because they say MOV doesn't mean they're actually MOV files.
What else would they be? :hscratch: I'd assume Quicktime would play them :confused:

belboz 08-06-02 12:40 AM

File extensions aren't trademarked or anything. Any programmer can choose to use just about any file extension he wants. Most Windows programmers will try to choose unique ones to avoid confusion. However, given that Square is developing for a console, there's no reason for them to worry about confusing it with a Quicktime file.

They probably have a proprietary codec or maybe use a standard codec, but just use a proprietary file format. There's no reason to expect a video file for a console to be playable in any standard player.

Outlaw 08-07-02 01:36 AM

Originally posted by belboz
They probably have a proprietary codec or maybe use a standard codec, but just use a proprietary file format. There's no reason to expect a video file for a console to be playable in any standard player.
Bingo! They not ordinariy mov files but a special video format for the PSX used to prevent people from doing exactly what you are trying to do. The .str and .iki are similar files used for PSX movies. I was trying to do this same thing a few years ago with FFVII, and I encountered the same problems. Luckily some resourceful coder's have programmed some players that will do the job. I think posting the site on this forum breaks the rules since a similar site is [banned] to link here so I'll PM you the link. Hope one of them will work for you! Good luck!

Edit: I ought to mention that the programs are not 100% bug free either, so it may or may not work.

Crazy Aoshi 08-07-02 01:54 AM

Thanks, I'd be interested...I think my icq number in in eqach of my posts. But I'll be ofline for awhile as my computer blew up, damn cheap power supply...I'm talking from the living room net surfing computer.

Outlaw 08-07-02 02:04 AM

Eep! Sorry about your computer blowing up. I realized this forum doesn't have a PM feature heh. I don't have ICQ but I just finished emailing you. Hope your computer gets fixed soon :).