DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Gabriel Knight 3 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/227270-gabriel-knight-3-a.html)

Trigger 08-03-02 10:41 PM

Gabriel Knight 3

I picked this up at Best Buy yesterday and have been playing it some. Tim Curry does the (gay guy pretending to be straight with a southern belle accent) voice of Gabriel. It was under 10 bucks at Fry's, so I figured "why not?" Anyway - it's my first GK game and I'm not all that impressed so far. I'm a huge Adventure buff and this one is just really super lame so far. It's written by a woman... a woman who doesn't understand men apparently. Gabriel just sounds so fruity... and the things he says are just so lame - nobody talks like that. I don't have any problems with gayness or being gay or gay people or whatever, but the way the dialogue comes out is just so uncomfortable. The graphics leave alot to be desired, but then again it's an older game. I'm at the end of day 1 and so far it's pretty boring - alot of talk about religion and blah blah. So anyone else play this game? Same experience? Gay? Are they all like this?

Kellehair 08-03-02 10:52 PM

I was thinking of getting this game recently myself. I think I might just forget about though. I really like adventure games but the old ones don't seem to work too well with Windows XP. I bought Byzantine: The Betrayal a few days ago and it doesn't really work that well -- the game either freezes during or skips the cut scenes. The game seems like something I would enjoy so it really sucks ass that it doesn't work. Oh well. Are there any good adventure games recently released or on the way? I've played, and loved, the Longest Journey. I also really liked Shadow of Destiny for the PS2. That one's out on the PC now too BTW. I think Syberia is the next big adventure game on the horizon. I hope it's good. I could really use a good adventure.

Trigger 08-03-02 11:19 PM

I'm not a big fan of Myst type adventure games and I haven't heard of the ones you mentioned except for Syberia. I remember a game called Cyberia that was an adventure game - it was kinda like Bioforge. I liked that kinda... As for recent adventure games, there was The Ward and some other one I can't think of right now - neither one was all that great. The Ward was okay... I got stuck and never finished it though.

Kellehair 08-03-02 11:32 PM

You've never heard of The Longest Journey? Wow. I thought you liked adventure games. It's one of the best games I've ever played. I've never played a game with a better story either. Here's a quick excerpt from IGN's glowing review...

As April Ryan, you're the average art student in the future, recently transported to the big city in order to pursue your art career. You've got a great life -- good friends, a nice room at a boarding house, and a good job at the local café. And you have dreams. Lot of weird, vibrant, too-real-to-not-be-real dreams about dragons, the destruction of the world, and your future. In the course of this long adventure you'll begin to take part in a journey over two parallel worlds, one of technology, the other of magic, and find your ultimate place in bringing the two worlds back together.
http://pc.ign.com/articles/160/160848p1.html

Trigger 08-04-02 12:04 AM

Watched the trailer - looks badass... Don't know how I missed it. Maybe I saw the box and dismissed it thinking it was another one of those Myst type games... like the ones that new company puts out a bunch of... Dreamcatcher. I'll have to go pick this up.

Grimfarrow 08-04-02 09:58 AM

Gabriel Knight 3 is the *worst* of all the 3 GKs. Believe me, ignore the third and go play the first & the second.

IMO, Gabriel Knight 1 is THE best game I have ever played. Period.

That being said, it really doesn't help that you're starting GK3 without any prior knowledge of the game characters. YES, Tim Curry's accent was friggin' crap, and the dialogue seems really weird. But the funny thing is, this only occured in the 3rd one.

I personally liked GK3, and I thought it was a very interesting (albeit rather profane) interpretation of Biblical history. But if I was new to the series, I wouldn also find it hard to be involved. Believe me, play the first - at any cost.

Gallant Pig 08-04-02 12:30 PM

A remaake of the first one with updated graphics would be fantastic. Never did play the 2nd one.

darkside 08-04-02 03:27 PM

I played Cyberia on the 3DO and it was a good adventure type game.

Gabriel Knight is a classic series. I enjoyed the first two, but never bought 3.

Trigger 08-04-02 07:21 PM

Damn the IDSA... "Oh, we're a publisher of a game, but it's an old game so we've abandonded it. We don't support it or sell it anymore. But - if you want it, you'll have to pay 150 bucks for it on ebay because we won't let you pick it up for free on some abandonware site." ARGH...

Grimfarrow 08-05-02 10:09 AM

Get the Gabriel Knight mystery pack - it has the first two games in it. I dunno if it is still around though.

Duran 08-05-02 10:44 AM

The first Gabriel Knight game is one of the best adventures I've ever played. Up there with the Monkey Island series.