Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Why does it seem like people here are more interested in the industry than the games?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Why does it seem like people here are more interested in the industry than the games?

Old 08-01-02, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't post too often in this forum, but I lurk quite a bit. Why is it that people seem more interested in the business side of video games than the games themselves? Am I the only one who doesn't care how the Xbox is selling in Japan or whether or not the Gamecube is propped up by profits from the Gameboy Advance? What's the fascination with this stuff?

Last edited by focker; 08-01-02 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-01-02, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is a great thread and you are right. You would think we owned the companies as much as the bottom line seems to matter. I'm guilty of getting caught up in the BS as well. It is really just about games and all three are as good as anyone could ask for.

I just picked up Crazi Taxi 3 for Xbox and it is great fun, I'm still trying to find all the shortcuts in Vegas. I also got to spend an hour playing Mark of Kri (a friend bought it) and I was amazed out how good it is. The combat system is very ingenious and I love the Beast Master like bird that helps you. It has a great mix of stealth and fighting and some of the combos and finishers you can pull off are amazing. Of course I'm very excited about Mario coming at the end of the month.

Thats three great games all for different consoles, but I agree we should focus more on the great games and forget about the console its played on.

Its a great time to be a gamer.
Old 08-01-02, 03:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by darkside
This is a great thread and you are right. You would think we owned the companies as much as the bottom line seems to matter. I'm guilty of getting caught up in the BS as well. It is really just about games and all three are as good as anyone could ask for.

I just picked up Crazi Taxi 3 for Xbox and it is great fun, I'm still trying to find all the shortcuts in Vegas. I also got to spend an hour playing Mark of Kri (a friend bought it) and I was amazed out how good it is. The combat system is very ingenious and I love the Beast Master like bird that helps you. It has a great mix of stealth and fighting and some of the combos and finishers you can pull off are amazing. Of course I'm very excited about Mario coming at the end of the month.

Thats three great games all for different consoles, but I agree we should focus more on the great games and forget about the console its played on.

Its a great time to be a gamer.
What he said.
Old 08-01-02, 03:40 PM

$200 for a console.
$50 for a game.

Kinda helps to try and know where the stock is going.

Besides, who doesn't wonder about the futre?
Old 08-01-02, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gallant Pig

What he said.
ditto
Old 08-01-02, 03:45 PM
Retired

You have a good point. I love games to the point that I'm interested in keeping an eye on sales and pondering the future of gaming, but I'd love to see more discussion about games.

Most of the game discussing threads here hardly get any attention. Take the Eternal Darkness Help and Discussion thread I started. It didn't get very many posts at all. Just a few people wanting help and hardly anyone just wanting to talk about the game.

I'm not sure what it is. There should be threads here debating and talking about specific games just like the movie threads in Movie Talk.
Old 08-01-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by BrinStar
$200 for a console.
$50 for a game.
Knowing exactly how many units your console has shipped worldwide so you can rub it in other peoples faces while posting to a message board: Priceless.
Old 08-01-02, 04:12 PM

Eh?

*scratches his head*

The Nintindo Fans vs. The XBox Fans vs. The What the Hell are You Arguing About Fans.

I like talking about everything economical, political, and social like that.
If there was a "Polotics Talk" forum I'd be there talking about "When are we going to finaly Whoop some Sodam Arse?"

Or Enron, or the pope, or anything else that has to do with everything else.

this is videogame talk.
So those who are interested in the economics of videogames talk about that.

It is however, unfortunate, that console bashing eventualy becomes a part of that.
Seems there are alot of insecurities associated with owning a videogame console.
Old 08-01-02, 04:21 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by BrinStar
$200 for a console.
$50 for a game.

Kinda helps to try and know where the stock is going.

Besides, who doesn't wonder about the futre?
Exactly!

Old 08-01-02, 04:27 PM
zig

Personally I find talking about games themselves just boring. "so.. good game isn't it? yep.. it's good.. i like that one level.. yeah.. that was a good one... yep."

The financial side of things is kind of interesting, but yeah I do get fed up with that too eventually. There's a lot of room for debate and fanboyism in that side of discussion though, so those conversations are more popular.
Old 08-01-02, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't care to bash people's choices but I like to know the inside scoop on things. Liken it to behind the scenes documentaries on dvds. It's also a huge international business that takes technology to the edge. For people like me, who started out on Pong, Space Invaders and Missile Command, it's cool to see where we have been as well as where the future might take us.
Old 08-01-02, 04:40 PM
Shawn

I don't care to bash people's choices but I like to know the inside scoop on things.
Same here.

Old 08-01-02, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That comparison to the Movie forum is interesting.

I think that it's hard to have a good "discussion" thread of a game because really, is there THAT much to discuss?

Plus, if you bought it or are playing it, chances are you like it. People go see movies they end up hating all the time, which leads to more discussion.

I like to see strategy/easter egg threads and game reviews. The financial stuff doesn't really interest me as much, but I'll puruse occasionally.
Old 08-01-02, 04:48 PM

Werd to the last 4 posts.
Old 08-01-02, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think this trend started because the future of the console you have and the games that will be released on it depends somewhat on the sales figures and such... if the console you bought turns out to not be the success the other consoles are, it's possible that you could be stuck with a 32X or a Saturn (being stuck with a Dreamcast wouldn't be the worst thing ever...) and that would be bad because game production would slow to a trickle and you would have to invest in another console again to keep being able to play new games. That and the fact that alot of people here like to argue.
Old 08-01-02, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by e_hartnett

Knowing exactly how many units your console has shipped worldwide so you can rub it in other peoples faces while posting to a message board: Priceless.