DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Question about "patches" for Xbox... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/226720-question-about-patches-xbox.html)

BrinStar 08-01-02 01:57 PM

Question about "patches" for Xbox...

Can you "patch" an Xbox game like a PC game?

I know that DoA3 has a patch for it adding afew new costumes.

But could you say, patch Morrowind?
Or if an Add-on pack for Morrowind PC came out, is it possible to make a Morrowind add-on pack for Xbox without charging the $50 for a whole new game?

I'm dreading having to spend $50 for the Xbox version of a posible Morrowind Add-on for PC.
(duno if there is gona be one, just thinking if there was)

Adam Tyner 08-01-02 02:20 PM

If the programmers build 'hooks' in the software, nicities like the DOA3 booster pack are possible. No idea if Morrowind was designed with that in mind.

Tamrok 08-01-02 02:36 PM

I read an interview with Bethesda where they mentioned that they had included hooks for Morrowind. They said they were discussing with Microsoft the possibility of having downloadable content and extras on the Xbox Live service.

BrinStar 08-01-02 02:45 PM

:D

Sweeeeeeet

BigDave 08-01-02 02:49 PM

Originally posted by BrinStar
Sweeeeeeet
I wouldn't hold your breath though. :)

I hope the do make patches available online. I'd also like to be able to download a NCAA roster online, so I hope they figure that one out too. :)

Shawn 08-01-02 03:37 PM

I heard there was a PC patch that showed how much health an enemy has left in battle(Morrowind), so I REALLY hope they find a way to add that into the Xbox version.

BrinStar 08-01-02 03:51 PM

*big barberian voice*
"How much health does an enemy have left? How many times have I hit him? None? Then he's got another coming. Once? Then he's dead." :D

darkside 08-01-02 06:22 PM

I'm just hoping for the easy updating of rosters. Thats a great feature for sports games. Extra stuff like the DOA booster pack had is welcome also. As long as they aren't using it to fix bugs that shouldn't be in the game anyway, I won't complain.

mr.snowmizer 08-01-02 06:48 PM

"Patch" has a negative connotation to it since it's fixing a bug. But yes, there's no reason any Xbox game can't be programmed to allow updates.

If there's ever a true "patch" on a console game, then heads should roll.

Tigger 08-01-02 07:25 PM

I dread the day console games can becomed "patched". I'm hoping console gamers won't stand for it.

Trigger 08-01-02 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Tigger
I dread the day console games can becomed "patched". I'm hoping console gamers won't stand for it.
Well I think it's a good idea - if they can come out with a patch for Bruce Lee that fixes some of the problems that it had when it was released, that's a good thing. I see what you mean though - you don't want patching to be common to the same level it is on PC games. I agree. Console games should be shipped when they are finished. Being able to improve on performance in finished games though is a good thing.

Also in terms of patching to add features and whatnot, I like that idea alot.

Chris_D 08-01-02 09:28 PM

I think you'll definitely see expansion discs for some xbox games (more so than we've seen on other consoles). As far as downloading new levels etc goes I would think that would also be a goer to up to a point, since you have about 2-3 gigs on the HD for save games.

Chris

BrinStar 08-02-02 01:40 AM

I've played games on every system since the NES that had bugs.

Bugs are appart of Gaming.

Now we can patch the console bugs, and that is a very good thing that was never posible before.

If quality of released titles starts to fall, then the gaming comunities and reviewers will notice. It wont be like PC.

SpacemanSpiff 08-02-02 01:04 PM

hmm, xbox = pc, why was i not surprised

Adam Tyner 08-02-02 01:11 PM

Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff
hmm, xbox = pc, why was i not surprised
Whatever. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if PS2 games take similar advantage of its hard drive if the add-on proves to be remotely successful.

Tamrok 08-02-02 01:16 PM

Originally posted by ctyner
Whatever. I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if PS2 games take similar advantage of its hard drive if the add-on proves to be remotely successful.
You're right! There's already been numerous patches for Final Fantasy XI in Japan.