DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   GCN ships a million in Europe and supasses Xbox in sales (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/226695-gcn-ships-million-europe-supasses-xbox-sales.html)

CreatureX 08-01-02 12:39 PM

GCN ships a million in Europe and supasses Xbox in sales

source:GamesIndustry.biz

Gamecube ships a million

Rob Fahey 10:35 30/07/2002
Europe and Nintendo, up a tree, s-e-l-l-i-n-g

Sales of Nintendo's GameCube continue to be brisk in Europe, with the company shipping its millionth Cube to retail this week - only days after it was revealed during a publisher's financial conference call that the company has at least a 300,000 unit lead on Microsoft's Xbox in the territory despite launching several weeks later.
Very impressive numbers from Nintendo, especially when you consider the Xbox launched about two months earlier than the Gamecube in Europe. And with AAA Titles such as Eternal Darkness, Resident Evil, Super Mario Sunshine, and Star Fox Adventures still to be released in the next few months, Gamecube's lead over Xbox seems likely to grow even wider in Europe.

Tamrok 08-01-02 12:48 PM

Oh good! Yet another sales thread! We just don't have enough of these. This ought to be fun... -rolleyes-

Josh H 08-01-02 12:51 PM

Kind of old news, someone posted in the other sales thread that European sales were 800,000 GCNs and 500,000 X-boxes.

Groucho 08-01-02 01:01 PM

I'm sorry, but this sort of thread is not allowed in the <s>Video Game Talk</s> Bash Nintendo Forum.

CreatureX 08-01-02 01:04 PM

Originally posted by Tamrok
Oh good! Yet another sales thread! We just don't have enough of these. This ought to be fun... -rolleyes-

This is a video game forum is it not? :lol: I didn't see any other thread that mentioned Gamcube passing the million mark in Europe. The date of the article is only a few days old. This is big gaming news and definitely deserves its own thread in any gaming forum. :D

CreatureX 08-01-02 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
I'm sorry, but this sort of thread is not allowed in the <s>Video Game Talk</s> Bash Nintendo Forum.
rotfl

Tamrok 08-01-02 01:17 PM

Originally posted by CreatureX

This is a video game forum is it not? :lol: I didn't see any other thread that mentioned Gamcube passing the million mark in Europe. The date of the article is only a few days old. This is big gaming news and definitely deserves its own thread in any gaming forum. :D

And what does a thread like this invariably devolve into? Another "my console is better than your console!" argument. Don't you think there are enough of those already? If someone tried to claim that Nintendo was being outsold in Europe, I wouldn't have any problem with you referencing that article but I haven't noticed anybody making that claim. But your right, I'm not a mod and you can post anything you like. Just like I can object to pointless threads that will only lead to more worthless arguments...

Kellehair 08-01-02 01:33 PM

I don't see anything wrong with this thread. I had no idea what was going on in Europe. I was under the impression that the Xbox was beating the Cube over there. Now I know different. I don't think this will deteriorate into a "my console is better than your console!" thread because there's not really much to argue about.

Tamrok 08-01-02 01:41 PM

Originally posted by Kellehair
I don't see anything wrong with this thread. I had no idea what was going on in Europe. I was under the impression that the Xbox was beating the Cube over there. Now I know different. I don't think this will deteriorate into a "my console is better than your console!" thread because there's not really much to argue about.
Well, apparently, you haven't been reading all the threads very closely. It's been stated in several places that the Gamecube has sold better in Europe. As for devolving into an argument, I base that on the fact that every other sales thread has. Maybe this one will be different but I doubt it. People love to argue. I've never seen anything good come out of a sales thread but I would love to be proven wrong this time.

Kellehair 08-01-02 01:44 PM

Nobody like to argue more than me. :D BTW, I have been following most of the Box vs. Cube threads and I don't think I read this anywhere. I think I may have read the opposite even.

Tamrok 08-01-02 01:49 PM

Nobody like to argue more than me. :D BTW, I have been following most of the Box vs. Cube threads and I don't think I read this anywhere. I think I may have read the opposite even.
Well, I know JoshHinkle has mentioned several times that the Gamecube has sold better in Europe in various threads. I don't recall anyone claiming the opposite but if they did, I'm sure Josh or someone else pointed out they were wrong.

CharlesC 08-01-02 01:55 PM

I don't understand the fascination with sales numbers and profits. It's not like, by buying a console, you are investing in the company. You buy it to play games. Why do you care how much it, or its competitors sold? Even the dreamcast, which was apparently enough of a failure sales wise to drive Sega out of the console business, was STILL a good console with plenty of great games.

Moving to the Business Forum.... ;)

Gallant Pig 08-01-02 02:13 PM

We basically have a thread dedicated to console sales, I believe started by belboz. I remember seeing Nintendo's Euro stats in that thread.

We really need to contain the console wars/sales stats in one thread and the one belboz made was perfect for that.

I think a lot of us have come to the conclusion that 3rd and 2nd aren't a big deal and basically fanboy fodder for arugments. Who cares if GCN has sold 400,000 more consoles than Xbox in Europe when PS2 is beating them both like a red-headed stepchild?

Gallant Pig 08-01-02 02:14 PM

Originally posted by CharlesC
I don't understand the fascination with sales numbers and profits. It's not like, by buying a console, you are investing in the company. You buy it to play games. Why do you care how much it, or its competitors sold? Even the dreamcast, which was apparently enough of a failure sales wise to drive Sega out of the console business, was STILL a good console with plenty of great games.

Moving to the Business Forum.... ;)

I agree, the sales talk is redundant and boring.

Josh H 08-01-02 02:52 PM

I agree this should have been in Belboz's post, but GP if you find sales talk "redundant and boring" why did you even click on this thread?

Shawn 08-01-02 02:59 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I agree this should have been in Belboz's post, but GP if you find sales talk "redundant and boring" why did you even click on this thread?
I think he'll "post where he wants to," just like you said you'd do in a different thread.

Josh H 08-01-02 03:06 PM

You got me there. :D

Still it just always puzzles me when someone posts in a thread on something they find "redundant and boring." It's like people that post in star wars threads, saying they are sick of star wars threads.

Ok, you're sick of them but you still take the time to click on them and post in them?

It makes no sense.

I don't click on threads on topics that don't interest me, much less reply to them.

If I think it's a duplicate, or should be merged with another thread, I just use the "report this post to moderator" link.

boobietheclown 08-01-02 03:16 PM

Still it just always puzzles me when someone posts in a thread on something they find "redundant and boring." It's like people that post in star wars threads, saying they are sick of star wars threads.

Ok, you're sick of them but you still take the time to click on them and post in them?

It makes no sense.

I don't click on threads on topics that don't interest me, much less reply to them.

If I think it's a duplicate, or should be merged with another thread, I just use the "report this post to moderator" link.

I'll bite...

In regards to the "Holy Trinity" thread...I didnt even read what he wrote. I skimmed a bit and knew exactly where it went. Just a waste of bandwidth. Just go in the DVD talk forum duplicate threads get closed ALL THE TIME.

Also...I did report it to a mod.

Shawn 08-01-02 03:28 PM

IMO, more people bash Microsoft and the Xbox (*cough* Scandal *cough* ;) ) here than Nintendo.

Gallant Pig 08-01-02 03:59 PM

It makes no sense.

Unfortunately I've found the "Report this post to moderator" link isn't very effective a lot of the time. Other than that, I was just trying to give belboz's excellent thread some attention it deserves and also voicing my opinion on what others began saying in this thread.

Trigger 08-01-02 04:47 PM

Oh I thought this was the Anti-M$: Xbox Is The Loser Forum.

Kellehair 08-01-02 04:59 PM

How could you feel that way? There are several threads about why Nintendo is for stoopid kidz, why Nintendo should pull a Sega, and why Nintendo just sucks in general. There aren't really any threads dedicated to Xbox and its shortcomings.

Shawn 08-01-02 05:16 PM

Hmm, I remember arguing with you(Kellehair) in a thread that pretty much said "Microsoft is the Devil" and how great Sony and Nintendo were for saving us from Microsoft.

Trigger 08-01-02 05:19 PM

How could you feel that way? There are several threads about why Nintendo is for stoopid kidz, why Nintendo should pull a Sega, and why Nintendo just sucks in general. There aren't really any threads dedicated to Xbox and its shortcomings.
1. The Nintendo threads all have tons of comments about how Xbox sucks.

2. What shortcomings? ;)

Shawn 08-01-02 05:28 PM

Here's a thread about the Xbox, and the first line of the second post is "go away microsoft": Xbox 2
Here's another one:
New Xbox
In that one, you were accused of putting a negative spin on everything Microsoft, so I don't think it's just me that have been seeing these "The Xbox is Doomed" threads every week or two.