Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Eternal Darkness spoiled Resident Evil for me

Old 07-31-02, 09:09 PM
Retired

Eternal Darkness spoiled Resident Evil for me

I tried to go back and replay Resident Evil today after beating ED 3 times, and I just couldn't do it.

I couldn't hack the controls anymore. I mean I know I could get used to them again, as I'd already beat the game twice, but I just thought why bother?

Plus after playing ED where you are encouraged to kill everything, it felt lame running from Zombies to save ammo and avoid the stupid crimson heads.

I got so irritated I went to EB and traded it (and ED since I was done with it) in and got NCAA 2003 on PS2 and Grand Theft Auto 3.

I seriously doubt I'll even bother with RE0.

The great graphics and atmosphere just aren't enough to deal with the controls, the lame inventory system, and having to conserve ammo.

I'll keep an eye on RE4 though, as the series producer says in the newest EGM that it will take the series in a new direction, and he said he will consider using a new control scheme. He basically said that RE0 will max out the series in it's current form and it's time to try something new.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 07-31-02 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-31-02, 09:24 PM
zig

Try.. something... new? What kind of revolutionary thinking is that!

I hope they do do something with the controls.
Old 07-31-02, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

RE0 is gonna have the two simultaneously playable characters & the ability to drop items ... sounds killer to me, unless the two characters to keep alive is a pain. I have not played ED yet, but I picked up my GC specifically to play the RE series. I'm still playing through RE (don't have much gaming time as I have 2 small kids), so maybe I'll feel differently when I get done with it ... I got kinda burned out on Code Veronica on the DC so I guess I can relate somewhat.
Old 07-31-02, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RE would be the only reason I got a GC, but I was in Best Buy today checking it out... again... and the controllers themselves are kinda a nightmare for me. They're almost set up like the Xbox controller - so I maybe could've adapted, but they're smaller than even the dreamcast controller (which cramped my hands after long periods of play) - like it was made for tiny hands. Maybe cuz they focus on the Japanese market? I dunno. Anyway - the controllers at Best Buy were covered in goo and slobber and the analog sticks were broken and all loose. I played a bit of Sonic which was nice, but the controller kinda bugged me. The button layout is just too weird for me. I also played a bit of some fighting game with Mario and some superhero guy (is that Smash Brothers?) - not my type of game, but anyway... I guess I was trying to see if I could get past the controller issue so I could one day own a GC if they ever got any exclusives I wanted besides RE. I think I can get over it - plus I heard that I could get a thing that would allow me to hook up my PS2 controller to the GC. Nice... now if only they had one so that I could hook up an Xbox controller. So how did they mess up the controls on RE? There's the big round button, the 2 main shoulder buttons, the one squidgy shoulder button, the two or three buttons that curve around the round one, and the little round one that sits kinda away from the rest of em. So what did they assign the buttons to?
Old 07-31-02, 10:48 PM

Re: Eternal Darkness spoiled Resident Evil for me

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I tried to go back and replay Resident Evil today after beating ED 3 times, and I just couldn't do it.

I couldn't hack the controls anymore. I mean I know I could get used to them again, as I'd already beat the game twice, but I just thought why bother?

Plus after playing ED where you are encouraged to kill everything, it felt lame running from Zombies to save ammo and avoid the stupid crimson heads.

I got so irritated I went to EB and traded it (and ED since I was done with it) in and got NCAA 2003 on PS2 and Grand Theft Auto 3.

The great graphics and atmosphere just aren't enough to deal with the controls, the lame inventory system, and having to conserve ammo.

I'll keep an eye on RE4 though, as the series producer says in the newest EGM that it will take the series in a new direction, and he said he will consider using a new control scheme. He basically said that RE0 will max out the series in it's current form and it's time to try something new.
Another convert! I can't stand the lack of freedom of movement in the RE games. If they could just use the Devil May Cry engine instead, I'd probably love the series. Oh well, maybe that's what they'll do in RE4. I can only hope...
Old 07-31-02, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I prefered ED to Resident Evil as well, but I'm still getting the next ones. ED didn't scare me nearly as much as Resident Evil.
Old 07-31-02, 11:34 PM
Retired

Trigger, they didn't mess up the control, I just can't stand the turn and face set up the series has always had, and playing ED with it's true 3D press the analog stick and you go in the direction controls just reinforced that.

The controls as good as it's ever been for RE (well besides RE2 on the N64 which had a true 3D control option).

I'd swore off the series after Code Veronica as I just found it more frustrating than fun, but the graphics of the GCN version talked me into buying it again.

It is a less frustrating game than CV because it is a lot less action oriented than that game, but the controls just killed it for me when trying to play it for a third time after spending a month with ED.
Old 08-01-02, 12:03 AM

Re: Eternal Darkness spoiled Resident Evil for me

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

First off let me start by saying: To Each His Own. And you got some definatly good arguments there. I can see your PoV.

But for me:

If you set RE (on GC) to style C, its pretty easy to get around. Specialy with the auto Aim deal. Helps me find the buggers even when they are off screen.

Secondly, I prefer the invintory system because it makes it more realistic and forces to me plan my route through the mansion, labs, exc.

Thirdly, my favorit part of RE (GC) was that I was actualy AFRAID of everything in the house. Id walk on the other end of the hall from windows just because.... The fear level was amazing and intoxicating. I can think of only one other game that made me FEAR my opponents as much as RE, and that would have to be Thief (those damn Hammerite Ghosts gave me nightmares).

All in All its nothing more than a matter of oppinion. But for what it was I loved the crap out of RE. Especialy the whole "Survival" feal of it.
And if you didn't try playing RE(GC) with controller setting "C" then you really totaly missed out on the game.
Old 08-01-02, 12:09 AM
Retired

I tried type C if that's the "hold R to move steer with analog stick" mode and still found it awkward and actually switched back to the default as I was used to it from playing the previous games.

I think my main gripe is the series has gotten stale. RE on the gamecube was awesome the first time through, but after the graphics and atmosphere wore off about half way through the second time I was left with clunky controls, a lame inventory system that makes you keep backtracking (unless you have the game memorized and know exactly what you need with you) and a low ammo system that forces you to run.

I think it's just lost it's novelty for me, as I used to be a big fan and overlook all the above.

Oh well, maybe RE 4 will bring me back.
Old 08-01-02, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've gotta agree with what Brinstar said. I've been playing the RE games since the original PSX release way back in 1996. I've already played through RE for the cube 3 times and I love every minute of it and I have no problem with the controls. I also bought Eternal Darkness and played through it. I was less than thrilled with it so I sold it. They're just completely different styles of play. With RE I'm afraid of what's around the next corner and at the same time enthralled due to the amazing graphics. ED was just too linear and repetitive for my tastes. I also didn't really feel worried about surviving. Given the choice, I'd pick RE in a heartbeat but whatever you prefer is fine. Having said that, I'm looking forward to replaying RE 2 and 3 on the cube(already played through CV on the PS2 earlier in the summer) and I'm ecstatic at how RE 0 is shaping up.
Old 08-01-02, 12:13 AM

Gotcha.

I can see how if you were a fan 4 years ago and the serise not getting fresh (till GC) would dampen things.

I just got into it so I'm all "MMMMMmmmmm Zombie brains"

Beats the crap out of Silent Hill too.
Old 08-01-02, 01:09 AM
Shawn

Hey I have a quick off topic question: For those of you who played Silent Hill 2 and Res. Evil, which was scarier? I remember reading one of the gaming mags and it said that only play Silent Hill 2 if you're ready to have nightmares, so I was wondering which you guys thought was scarier. Thanks in advance!

Old 08-01-02, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Im going through Silent Hill 2 right now. After beating RE trying to do the same basic control scheme on the Boxs controller is just annoying the hell out of me. So I havent gotten far. But so far it doesnt compare, RE was scarier.
Old 08-01-02, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I actually came to enjoy Control Type C. It's not great but it's pretty good.

As for RE vs. ED, I have to go with ED. I just enjoy an adventure game like ED more than a survival horror game like RE.

For those of you who played Silent Hill 2 and Res. Evil, which was scarier?
I say RE was scarier. Silent Hill had very few surprises while RE had a bunch of good ones. Both games have a nice scary atmosphere but RE's sweet graphics provide more details to scare you.
Old 08-01-02, 01:31 AM
Shawn

Thanks guys. I don't have a GameCube, so I can't play Resident Evil, but I'll probably rent Silent Hill 2.

Old 08-01-02, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good idea. You can beat it in a rental no problem and the game has minimal replay value IMO.
Old 08-01-02, 01:43 AM
Shawn

Well, I'm glad...even if I do end up liking it, I don't have $50 to spare .

Old 08-01-02, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, if you do like it, you can buy it for $20-30 at most places.
Old 08-01-02, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like them both equally, but for different reasons. For me, the controls, story and Fighting are much better in ED, but the puzzles are just too damn easy. ED is an awesome game because you never want it to stop. Its relatively easy to figure out, but the story is so good and fun that you never want it to end.

RE is great because it is harder for me. No only the controls, but the puzzles, etc. are harder, and the way you have to pick and choose how much ammo to save, which enemies to kill, etc. is very cool to me.

I have yet to beat RE, but I have already beaten ED once. IMO they are both fantastic games and I am glad I own both.
Old 08-01-02, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ED was a hack-slash-repeat sort of game. It was about as scary as Mario, and 90% easier.

Let's see... RE... I've got to make it through a mansion full of powerful zombies with limited ammo and health...

or, ED... I've gotta run around with a knife and hit zombies with it so their heads pop off, and if one of them manages to hit me, I can heal myself instantly.
Old 08-01-02, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

The RE control system is outdated and needs to go. But what has always really aggrivated me was the inventory system, which doesn't even let you put things down anywhere when you come across something you need to pick up! That was extremely lame, and thankfully they're making RE0 so that you can put items down anywhere. That should end a lot of frustration usually associated with the game.
For those of you who played Silent Hill 2 and Res. Evil,
I haven't played the sequel, but the first Silent Hill was far, far scarier than any Resident Evil. RE pretty much only resorts shock terror (something jumping out of the closet, etc.). Silent Hill relies on extremely disturbing and creepy settings, imagery, atmosphere and story to scare the player, and I find that much more original and much more frightening than any RE game.

Last edited by tha_dvd_man; 08-01-02 at 10:21 AM.
Old 08-01-02, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

SH1 was a lot better and a lot scarier than SH2.
Old 08-01-02, 12:55 PM

Originally posted by Kellehair
SH1 was a lot better and a lot scarier than SH2.

Werd.

I never finished ether one, but SH1 was much more scarry.
SH2 has the potential to be scarry, and in some of the apartment rooms the atnosphere is KILLER but soon as your back out its Blah again.

SH is more about puzzles than fighting action.
RE is more fighting action than puzzles.

(RE is survival, SH is mystery)
Old 08-02-02, 12:58 PM

I have to say that I found SH2 scarier than the newer RE's (not counting the remake on Gamecube since I don't own one yet). The atmosphere in the game is truly frightening and it is defintely a game you want to play in the fall late at night with the lights turned out. While the two series may be somewhat related they are still different. If these two games were movies SH would be an Argento film, RE would be Dawn of the Dead.

The scariest of the bunch is still the first RE on the PS. I was so unprepared for what that game offered. I still remember the first time a zombie dog jumped through the windows. I must have jumped myself when that occured. The game may not have been that orignal to PC gamers (Alone in the Dark was first) but to console owners it was.

This is an interesting topic since I just began RE: Code Veronica a couple of days ago. After RE3 I felt that the series had become stale and predictable. While RE:CV may not be completely innovative, I find myself enjoying it. It's sort of like visting an old friend whose company I only realized that I missed after we spent some time apart.

I will admit though that the series NEEDS to evolve at this point. I remember all of the hype and debates about true3-D backgrounds versus pre-rendered and for some reason I don't notice the difference. How was this a step forward when the issue of evolution in the series revolves around gameplay, controls, and the overall familiarity/predicatbility ogf the series. I want fresh puzzles where I don't know that the key will be here because it was just like that in part 2. Or that if I turn this knob this way the water will shut off and there will be a relic that I have to put in the door at this mansion which I know will be the next level because every RE has a creepy mansion, right?. I may not have the answers but I don't want a rehash; I want the series to build off of these elements, integrate past ideas with newer ones. Hell, pay homage to the old puzzles but don't merely duplicate them! If what was said in EGM is true then I can't wait. RE: Online looks promising as well.

And last but not least: I also would like some questions answered already (maybe that will occur at the end of RE: CV)! Like who fronts Umbrella and why did they invent the T-Virus in the first place? Hopefully Capcom will wisen up and do all of these in the next installment. Until then though, I will enjoy RE:CV and appreciate it as being the culmination of everything that the series has offered so far and look forward to what it possibly could become.
Old 08-02-02, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Anyone played "Fatal Frame" I heard that was really scary.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.