Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

New Xbox Live Video

Old 07-31-02, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Xbox Live Video

I just saw the new xbox live video, with "DarkMaster" It was Kinda funny.
New Darkmaster Video

It's in the bottom right corner!
Old 07-31-02, 04:05 PM
Shawn

Yeah, that was pretty cool. Man, I can't wait for Unreal Championship!
Old 07-31-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

YES YES YES

Thanks!

Old 08-01-02, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Seems like XBOX has a really solid online plan. I have a PS2, how does it compare? Speech, inviting players, etc.?
Old 08-01-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I anxious to see if everything turns out as smooth as they are predicting. That real time, digital cell quality voice has me skeptical.
Old 08-01-02, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Gromit
I anxious to see if everything turns out as smooth as they are predicting. That real time, digital cell quality voice has me skeptical.
I would think the voice would be the easiest part to send/receive. Its the large video interface that I fear hogging the bandwidth...
Old 08-01-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

To clarify...im no tech expert so I could be totally wrong.
Old 08-01-02, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I can't wait for this to come out.
Old 08-01-02, 03:22 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by tygloalex
I can't wait for this to come out.
ditto.
Old 08-01-02, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

redsox, Flay's thread compares the various features of all 3 consoles online strategy.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=207793
Old 08-01-02, 04:45 PM
Mod Emeritus

Unreal Championship
Old 08-01-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by ReDsOx5048
Seems like XBOX has a really solid online plan. I have a PS2, how does it compare? Speech, inviting players, etc.?
According to a poll of readers of Electronic Gaming Monthly (EGM), when asked "which console has the best online gaming strategy?" - the results were:

42% Xbox
37% Playstation 2
21% Gamecube

From the article:

1. Xbox - No adapter to buy, but you're limited strictly to broadband and have to pay a monthly fee.
2. Playstation 2 - But a 56K/broadband adapter seperately ($39.99) and play online for free.
3. Gamecube - But either a 56k or a broadband adapter seperately ($34.99) and play online for free.

Based on those descriptions, the results of the poll don't make sense. GC probably came in last because they only have 1 title at launch and their online plan isn't very solid compared to the other 2. The PS2 plan didn't beat out Xbox probably because they have 5 launch titles and 3rd party online games might charge a monthly fee for that game only. Xbox has you paying a yearly fee of 50 bucks that'll allow you to play as many games as you want plus they're coming out with a bunch of games and it includes voice support and other cool features. PS2's network package comes with a coupon for a free copy of Twisted Metal Black Online and it's actually a pretty nice plan. The only problem I see with it is that you'll have some users with slow dial-up connections and others with fast ethernet connections... Xbox's strategy of broadband only will help to level the playing field a bit. Gamecube's strategy would be good I'm sure if they had one. I'd say Xbox and PS2 both have good online plans.
Old 08-01-02, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I can see myself never using the headset and muting everyone I play with. I can do without all the trash talking from 12 year olds. However, everything else looks pretty good though I still don't think I will every be much of an online gamer. I have people coming over all the time to play games with. At least I can punch my friends when they run their mouths too much during a game.

Last edited by darkside; 08-01-02 at 05:13 PM.
Old 08-01-02, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by darkside
I can see myself never using the headset and muting everyone I play with. I can do without all the trash talking from 12 year olds. However, everything else looks pretty good though I still don't think I will every be much of an online gamer. I have people coming over all the time to play games with. At least I can punch my friends when they run their mouths too much during a game.
I totally agree with you and I planned to never use the voice feature, but then at E3 they said there would be voice morphing so you could sound like anything. That was intriguing and I'll at least check it out before I poo-poo on it. Besides - I was under the impression that xbox gamers were older than 12 in general... 12 year olds play GBA don't they?