Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Question: Digital Optical w/ PS2 XBox and DVD

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-02, 11:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question: Digital Optical w/ PS2 XBox and DVD

Is there such a thing as a digital optical splitter so that one can connect a DVD player, PS2, and XBox into the same digital optical input on their receiver? If not, how does one connect all of these devices to their receiver?
Old 07-31-02, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There is what you're looking for, but it wouldn't be called a splitter. A splitter would take one digital signal and split it into two different outputs. What you need is a selector or a switch. Radio Shack makes one. Their site is down right now, but just do a search for Toslink and Selector and it should pull up.

For my system, I have two digital inputs I can use. I wanted to hook up a PS2, a DVD player, and an X-box. I just went ahead and plugged the PS2 into the regular analog l/r inputs on my receiver, since none of the PS2 games I have actually benefit by outputting sound in digital. As far as I know, the PS2 only uses DD 5.1 and DTS for movies, not games (except for a few like SSX Tricky).
Old 07-31-02, 01:12 AM

Thanks!
Old 07-31-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
They also have a video switcher that has a TOSlink input for each component.

Maybe that's what CaptainMarvel is talking about, although I think he means one that just switches the audio.
Old 07-31-02, 12:04 PM

What about a component video switch (I've been looking around the Radio Shack website and I can't seem to find one) I think both the PS2 and XBox can be set up using component video, so how would one connect both systems and a DVD player to your TV using component video?
Old 07-31-02, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
I use a composite video switch box for component video. Sounds wacky, but I haven't noticed any signal degradation. A number of folks on the Home Theater Forum swear by this method.
Old 07-31-02, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally posted by ctyner
I use a composite video switch box for component video. Sounds wacky, but I haven't noticed any signal degradation. A number of folks on the Home Theater Forum swear by this method.
Yeah, I was wondering if you could just plug the Y, Pr, and Pb into the composite video, left audio, and right audio inputs on a switcher, or does a typical switcher do something different to each of the types of signals? You'd still need to switch audio somewhere else though.