DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   WipEout Fusion vs. Quantum Redshift (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/226244-wipeout-fusion-vs-quantum-redshift.html)

Trigger 07-30-02 08:26 PM

WipEout Fusion vs. Quantum Redshift

Ahh... I've been playing WipEout Fusion for several days - burning away my Games Freedom Pass. I should just buy it. I love this game. I've always been a fan of the WipEout series, but this one outdoes all previous entries. The graphics are nice and the tracks are insane and plentiful and the game is just huge! So much to do and unlock and all that. I love it. Problem is, I dont own a PS2. It's my roommates. I do own an Xbox and since it looks like WipEout won't be making it to the Xbox I have to look at Quantum Redshift. From what I've seen, this should graphically kick the snot out of WipEout. Sound-wise, of course it should dominate as well. As far as "gameplay" that's up in the air. I can't see playing the game on an Xbox controller - well can't see playing WipEout on one anyway... the double shoulder buttons on the PS2 controller make the most sense as far as using airbrakes and firing and looking behind. I think this would be a problem if Quantum Redshift has nearly the same style of play. They will probably have to incorporate either the right analog stick (yuck) or the black and white buttons (double yuck)... Still - I'm uber excited to play Quantum Redshift. :D Anyone else think WipEout Fusion kicks ass? Anyone have any comments on Quantum Redshift?

YujiNaka 07-30-02 09:16 PM

Wipeout Fusion wasn't made by any of the original team members that made the original Wipeout, I believe.

Quantum Redshift has many of these original team members, and it looks very very cool.

Watched the video of it tonight on the OXM 10 Demo Disc, looks awesome.. Your ship can go underwater, rain sticks to the screen, etc etc.

Lots of people have tried to copy though, so who knows if it will play as good.

-Jim

Souljahh 07-30-02 09:43 PM

^ Yeah, different team. I also thought Wipeout Fusion was awesome. Haven't heard anything about Quantum Redshift.

happypants 07-31-02 11:10 PM

Re: WipEout Fusion vs. Quantum Redshift

Originally posted by Trigger
Anyone else think WipEout Fusion kicks ass? Anyone have any comments on Quantum Redshift?
I dunno, I found Wipeout Fusion boring, though it has good music. I did rent it, but only had time to play for a couple hours, so maybe the fact I didn't put enough time into it might have been a factor. Maybe since this type of game is not new to me, having played Wipeout XL and Wipeout 3 (shudder).

Quantum Redshift looks nice, though we'll have to see how good the gameplay will be.

BrinStar 07-31-02 11:18 PM

*Mumble Mumble, Extreem G 3 for $20 wasn't too bad ether, Mumble Mumble*

stingo 08-01-02 11:49 AM

Originally posted by BrinStar
*Mumble Mumble, Extreem G 3 for $20 wasn't too bad ether, Mumble Mumble*
I really like Extreme G3 - especially at that price.

Trigger 08-01-02 04:18 PM

What are all the games that are Wipeout knockoffs? Kinetica, Extreme G3, and what else...?

elengineer 08-03-02 11:17 PM

well...

This post may be a little away from the systems under discussion (XBOX & PS/PS2)

There is Magforce Racing for the DC. It looks really, really good. The play is nice. Plus it doesn't hurt that I picked it up for five bucks...

YujiNaka 08-05-02 01:25 PM

I wasnt too big of a fan of MAgforce Racing...

I also tried "POD: Speedzone" and didnt really get into that one...

Quantum Redshift does look pretty nice though.

Haven't had as fun with one of these games since the original WipEout for Saturn.

-Jim

BrinStar 08-05-02 05:31 PM

POD was a remake of an OOOOLLLLDDDDD PC game from about the same Era as the original MDK and Magic Carpet.

I'd say '93 or '94.

I had the original POD way back in the day.
Was a sweeeeeeeeet game for its time.

Aghama 08-05-02 05:50 PM

About all I remember of POD was the ridiculous MMX tie-in.

Trigger 08-05-02 06:03 PM

Yeah - POD and MDK came out around 95 or 96 when the MMX thing was a big deal... seems like alot longer ago though. 93-94 was when there was a "turbo" button on computers. ;)

BrinStar 08-06-02 02:52 PM

yea your right.

I originaly put 94-95 but then I thought that was the rise of Blizzard and WC, so I moved it back a year.

Come along way in about 10 years aint we?

CreatureX 08-07-02 05:16 PM

Here a couple of Quantum Redshift videos from Xengamers.com:

Movie 1 (7MB)
Movie 2 (7MB)

:)

YujiNaka 08-07-02 05:34 PM

This game looks great.. I really hope the gameplay is up to par, as the graphics are by for the best for the genre.

This will be a hard end of 3rd/beginning of 4th quarter to choose where to spend the gaming dollars...
-Jim

Shawn 08-07-02 06:27 PM

Originally posted by CreatureX
Here a couple of Quantum Redshift videos from Xengamers.com:

Movie 1 (7MB)
Movie 2 (7MB)

:)

:thumbsup:

Shawn 08-07-02 06:28 PM

Originally posted by YujiNaka

This will be a hard end of 3rd/beginning of 4th quarter to choose where to spend the gaming dollars...
-Jim

I agree.

Trigger 10-02-02 04:07 PM

Quantum Redshift is out - I know the reviews aren't spectacular, but anyone pick this up yet? I bought it used at half.com for 32 bucks. It hasn't arrived yet though.

darkside 10-02-02 06:14 PM

Extended Play kind of dumped on Quantum Redshift, but I thought it looked kinda neat. I'm going to at least rent it this weekend.

Trigger 10-07-02 06:38 PM

I've been playing Quantum Redshift. Here are my impressions... I don't think it's as cool as WipEout Fusion. It's not as deep either. While the graphics for Quantum are vastly superior, the ships and tracks just aren't quite as cool... the weapons especially aren't as cool. You get 3 different types of powerups as you race around the tracks... Homing and non-homing projectiles which vary depending on the ship and racer you pick and then your overshield which activates for a few seconds to ward off an attack from an opponent. You also get a few seconds worth of turbo boost added each lap... it's cumulative, so you can save it from the first lap and use it all on the second lap or third lap or whatever. You can upgrade your ships, but they don't end up looking cooler.

The story is really dumb - rivalries and talkin smack during these little 10 second cut-scenes. The drivers have lame personalities for the most part and it's kinda like watching the little one-liners from each character in DOA3 before the races. They get repetitive after awhile if you're doing the same track with the same racer - even on higher difficulty settings.

The higher the difficulty, the faster your speeder goes. This game does a fantastic job of giving you the feeling that you're going hella fast... just like with WipEout. The gameplay is really addictive.

Fans of WipEout will be a little disappointed at first that certain weapons aren't present (like quake for example), but after awhile you realize that it's still quite addictive and fun. Later levels get really really hard and it's probably more difficult than WipEout overall. It's basically "WipEout Light" with better graphics and on the Xbox. Oh yeah - and some of the chicks have really nice racks.

Quantum Redshift overall score - 7/10

WipEout overall score - 8.5/10

Project Gotham overall score - 8/10

Sega GT 2002 overall score - 6/10