Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

OXM 10 in the mail today.. Details..

Old 07-30-02, 02:19 PM
Banned

OXM 10 in the mail today.. Details..

Okay just got OXM #10 in the mail today..

Disc:

Demos
-Timesplitters 2
-GunMetal
-NCAA Football 2003
-DOA 3 Bonus Pack

Features
Xbox at e3
Halo Commentary Part 4
The Stage of Gaming : Warren Spector

More stuff on the disc, but those are the feature highlights and the features.. of course there are some "extra content" and "video verdicts."

Cover story for the magazine is "online is Unreal", and "why you need xbox live and how you can get it"

Reviews:
Buffy 9.0/10
Dead to Rights 8.5/10
Gun Metal 7.9/10
Crazy Taxi 3 8.0/10
Enclave 7.4/10
Splashdown 8.6/10
David Beckham Soccer 4.2/10
NCAA Football 2003 8.8/10

Havent read anything of the issue yet, though.

-Jim
Old 07-30-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's about right for Dave Beckham Soccer - it looks sweet and all, but the controls are the worst ever for a sports title. Holy lord. Maybe you can change the control setup in the retail version, but what I played at E3 was impossible. Thanks for the info... Hope I get mine today.
Old 07-30-02, 03:05 PM
Shawn

Please post your impressions on Timesplitters2! Thanks!

Old 07-30-02, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

magazine didn't come today.
Old 07-30-02, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Woohoo! It was waiting for me in my mailbox! Im glad I didnt see this thread earlier. Pleasant little surprise. I will be playing Timesplitters shortly.

But the DOA bonus pack again?
Old 07-30-02, 06:14 PM
Banned

Yah that DOA Bonus Pack has been a staple for like 4 issues now?

I do like the HAlo commentaries though, they are one of my favorite parts of the discs...

Sega GT 2002 is said to be on the disc , on the disc itself, but they apologize for it not being there at the bottum in the text area... So I guess next month huh?

-Jim
Old 07-30-02, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Well, the continued availability of the DOA booster pack is appreciated, I'm sure, by those just now dipping their toes into the XBox waters. AFAIK, outside of OXM, there's not a particularly easy way for U.S.-based gamers to snag the booster.
Old 07-30-02, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing yet. Hopefully tomorrow. I want to try Gun Metal.
Old 07-30-02, 08:22 PM
Banned

Gun Metal is pretty cool, pretty intense..

I dont play many of those Mech type of games, though, so I might not know what I am talking about...

Time Splitters 2 isn't all that bad, its not Halo, but pretty enjoyable!

-Jim
Old 07-30-02, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Timesplitters was a little bland, IMO. I thought GunMetal was sweet though. Think Im picking that one up.
Old 07-31-02, 06:49 AM

Originally posted by joltaddict
Timesplitters was a little bland, IMO. I thought GunMetal was sweet though. Think Im picking that one up.
If you do, EB is offering free overnight shipping:
Linky

The offer was supposed to expire yesterday at 2:00pm, but I ordered last night around 10 and was still able to get the free shipping.
Old 07-31-02, 04:51 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Yeah, IMO I think it is time for them to stop doing the DOA3 booster and put more game demos, on the discs.
Old 07-31-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the vids for Panzer and Unreal gave me a chubby!
Old 07-31-02, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Curses, still waiting for mine.

Tuan Jim
Old 08-01-02, 12:49 AM
Banned

I wish Xbox Nation was monthly.. I only have issue #3 but its better than any OXM I have gotten yet...

Issue #4 wont be coming out for a while either

-Jim
Old 08-03-02, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, the Gun Metal demo was short, and kinda sweet.

Timesplitters 2 seems to be a lot of fun from the demo, but dang it's hard. It'd be really nice to have a few more checkpoints, and/or a way to restore health. That 007 style of aiming isn't very cool either. Still, I'm definitely gonna be renting this baby, and maybe even buying it depending on how long it is.

Tuan Jim
Old 08-03-02, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I'm the only one that hasn't received it.
Old 08-03-02, 09:41 PM
Shawn

Timesplitters2 won't let you restore health?! That seems kind of dumb(IMO), especially because I suck at all video games.

Old 08-03-02, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was looking for a 'crosshairs' option in the Timesplitters 2 demo. Maybe I missed it. Even though it seems to be auto-aiming, I need crosshairs!

This appears to be the same demo that was in OPM a few months back. I was hoping this one would have a different level. I'm trying to figure out why I bothered to sign up for that free Timesplitters 2 demo that the developers never sent anyway.
Old 08-03-02, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

To bring up cross hairs (or to zoom with the sniper rifle), just click the right stick in once -- really easy. I keep it on by default (toggle).

The map included is the Siberian dam one. Despite the not so wonderful graphics, and the insane toughness, the gameplay is really smooth with no slowdown even on a typically buggy demo disc, and it really is fun -- weird.

Tuan Jim
Old 08-03-02, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Shawn
Timesplitters2 won't let you restore health?! That seems kind of dumb(IMO), especially because I suck at all video games.
I've found tons of body armor -- that seems to block virtually all damage to your health while you wear it -- but I haven't seen a single medkit or anything. If you take things slowly you can take folks down one at a time -- headshot will kill most folks except those wearing a helmet, and it's definitely the easiest way to bring down a zombie, but the Goldeneye style aiming is really awkward. There is an autoaim feature though, that would probably make it a lot easier. Didn't think to try it.

Tuan Jim
Old 08-04-02, 03:06 AM
dgc
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by darkside
I guess I'm the only one that hasn't received it.
Nope, still waiting for my copy as well.
Old 08-04-02, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dgc

Nope, still waiting for my copy as well.
same here
Old 08-06-02, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought Timesplitters 2 was kinda crappy. Timesplitters seems to be a first person shooter for people who've never played a first person shooter before and don't know any better. A little too acrade-like for my taste.

GunMetal didn't do much for me either. It was really hard for me. I don't know if it's the controlls or if it's just me. Probably just me, but I'm good at other games. Anyway - I don't really like Mech games... this one was very nice looking though and it's too bad (for me) that the game isn't something I'd be interested in.

DOA3 pack - been there done that.

NCAA Football - not a fan of sports games except for Soccer. Didn't play.

Videos -

Their whole E3 section had lots of nice preview videos. This disc has lots of videos of platformers that may or may not be the next Sonic or Mario. None of them seem to have quite enough personality, but they are all pretty unique and some feature some really clever ideas.

Bounty Hunter looks badass - I played a bit of it at E3 and I found the spaceship part too difficult cuz I was being impatient and got lost in space. I just wanted to get into the ship and check out the FPS view. I'm gonna buy it.

Panzer Dragoon - never played any PD game before and while the graphics look really cool, I don't know if I'll like the gameplay.

Quantum Redshift - wowee zowee... looks amazing. If it plays at least as good as WipEout Fusion, I'm gonna be hooked.

Brute Force - same old tired video we've been fed for a long time now. Yawn... The game looks interesting. I hope it lives up to the hype.

Kachuto Cojin or whatever - big mega hype game that's supposed to be the best fighter ever. Looks like crap to me. The shadow and lighting effects are decent, but the character movement is akward and stupid looking... The characters are boring looking. The moves look like DOA ripoffs. The backgrounds are boring. Sounds suck. They use the tired Matrix freeze frame camera sweep around that they've been using in all games since the Matrix came out. There was actually another fighter featured on this disc that looked way more impressive and promising than this piece of junk. Another Bruce Lee stinker?

There's still more for me to see, but this disc was a bit of a letdown in terms of demos for me - bonus in terms of videos though. Good disc overall.
Old 08-06-02, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Kachuto Cojin or whatever - big mega hype game that's supposed to be the best fighter ever. Looks like crap to me. The shadow and lighting effects are decent, but the character movement is akward and stupid looking... The characters are boring looking. The moves look like DOA ripoffs. The backgrounds are boring. Sounds suck. They use the tired Matrix freeze frame camera sweep around that they've been using in all games since the Matrix came out. There was actually another fighter featured on this disc that looked way more impressive and promising than this piece of junk. Another Bruce Lee stinker?

I had skipped the E3 section of the disc until last night. When I saw the video for the fighting game you're referring to, I thought the exact same thing. It doesn't look nearly as good as the magazine and online still-shots made it out to be. It's like plastic action figures fighting. That glossy-sweaty look just makes 'em look like wet GI Joe action figures. That 'Lotus' fighter looked like it's going to be better.

Blinx looks promising and I'm intrigued by Panzer Dragoon Orta. I played one of the Saturn games and enjoyed it. I never played the PC version, but I'm looking forward to Crimson Skies too.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.