DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Dreamcast Racing Games? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/225999-dreamcast-racing-games.html)

cozmo 07-29-02 10:39 PM

Dreamcast Racing Games?

Can anyone please recommend some Dreamcast racing games? I DON'T have one of those steering wheels yet,and have already tried the following games :

Test Drive 6(steering was shocking,other stuff was quite good-music was awesome)

Test Drive Le Mans (good)
MSR (excellent,music isn't that good)

Is Ducati any good? F1? Wacky Races? Test Drive V-Rally? Daytona? etc,etc.

Thanks!

happypants 07-29-02 10:55 PM

- Sega GT
- Vanishing Point
- Sega Rally 2 (pretty hard)
- Tokyo Extreme Racer and Tokyo Extreme Racer 2 (play them in order to see the minor evolution in gameplay)

And for something along the same lines, but with boats, try Hydro Thunder, only thing horrid about this game is the long menu load times, really poor design given that when you want to retry a course you want to restart "right now" vs. wait for a menu load.

Derrich 07-30-02 06:57 AM

Ferrari 355 Challenge.
Sega GT (but its obvious that it wants to be GranTurismo)
Daytona(pure arcade feeling)

D

discostu1337 07-30-02 07:01 AM

SF Rush 2049 was always a favorite of mine, but not a simulation of course.

spankyj 07-30-02 02:07 PM

355 challenge and V-Rally are my choices. Lots of fun. Get the racing wheel!!!

cozmo 07-30-02 02:17 PM

thanks for you answers so far.
I've already tried Hydro Thunder,and while it is a great game,I couldn't get past the EASY stages! I got 1st place in 2 out of 3,but couldn't get the 3rd.

Which racing wheel would you recommend?
Also,are any of the racing games without cars-but with motorbikes,snowboards,skidoos etc. worth getting?

einTier 07-30-02 03:44 PM

Ducati is horrible. One of the worst games I've ever played on Dreamcast. Here's two great reviews of it:
http://www.happypuppy.com/dc/reviews...worl-dc-1.html
http://www.game-revolution.com/games...ati_racing.htm

Most of the gimmicky racers (ski-doos, snow-mobiles, etc) are just that -- gimmicky. Unless someone recommends it to you, don't waste your money.

I've played quite a few racing games on Dreamcast, but there's few I really enjoy, and even fewer I'd call great. Of what I've played:

18-Wheeler : Great fun, but it's a direct arcade port, so you can finish it in an evening.
4 Wheel Thunder : I don't remember this one being exceptionally great or exceptionally bad.
4x4 Evolution : Great fun if you like racing 4x4 trucks offroad. I play this pretty often.
Crazy Taxi (2) : Not really a racing game, but one of the best DC games.
Daytona USA : Direct arcade port. If you like the arcade, you'll like this. A bit dated and a bit short.
Demolition Racer : Lots of fun, but more "racer" and less "demolition".
Exhibition of Speed : Horrible. Handling goes out the window at speed. Almost unplayable.
F355 Challenge : Good, but very realistic. This is more like Microsoft Flight Simulator than Microsoft Combat Simulator. Great if you like that sort of thing.
Hydro Thunder : You should try playing this some more. Maybe read a walkthrough. It can be difficult, and there is a learning curve, but it's a really good DC racer. One of my favorites.
Jeremy McGrath Supercross : Supposed to be just average. I have it, but haven't played enough to form a good opinion. First impressions are that it is indeed, just average.
Loony Toons Space Race : Mario Kart with Loony Toons characters. I hate it. More luck than skill here.
Mag Force Racing : Like Wipeout for Playstation, but not nearly as good. Average.
MSR: One of the best DC racing games. I just wish I had time to play it properly.
POD Speedzone: Pretty, but I like my games more realistic. Gameplay is average.
Roadsters : Horrible. Run away from this game. One of the few more unplayable than Exhibition of Speed.
San Fran Rush 2049: Unreal, but I do love to play this game. The best arcade-style racer, hands down.
Sega GT : wants to be Gran Turismo. Good, but not Gran Turismo. Control is not so great.
Sega Rally 2: Best rally game on the DC. Very good, but very difficult.
Sno-Cross : Ugh. I have never been able to play this. Control is very difficult to maintain. Some people seem to love it though.
Speed Devils : I haven't seen anything amazing out of this one, but it's one I haven't played enough either. I'm told on-line play is better than off-line.
Spirit of Speed 1937 : Pure crap. Rivals Ducati. Impossible physics.
Star Wars Episode One Racer : If you played this on N64 or PC and liked it, you'll like it here. I haven't played it much.
Stunt GP : I know I played it, but I don't remember playing it, so that must mean it's completely forgetable. Avoid.
Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing: if you're going to get a motorcycle racer, this is the one to get.
Test Drive 6 : poor physics, couldn't decide if it wanted to be arcade or realistic.
Test Drive Le Mans: Great game, but is ultra-real, like Ferrari F355. Can get tedious.
Test Drive V-Rally: Did I say that Sega Rally is the best rally game? I don't know, this one is awfully good, and is easier and more fun to play... but perhaps not as realistic. If I could only have one rally game, it would probably be this one.
Tokyo Extreme Racer (2) : My wife calls this "Tokyo Extreme Ricer". You can really modify your car, and the racing is more like unlicensed freeway racing than anything else. Unfortunately, if you're not into that scene, it gets old quick.
Toy Racer : Avoid this like the plague. I use this to show people how bad a racer can really be.
Vanishing Point: I have this, but really haven't played it. Judging by the reviews it gets, I need to play it ... tonight.
Wacky Races : A game I thought I'd hate, but really enjoy. It helps if you saw the old Wacky Races cartoons. Very cool.
Walt Disney World Quest: Magical Racing Tour : Kinda cool if you like Disney World and will recognise the rides, or if you're young and like Mickey. I wouldn't pay for this game, but I find myself playing as a diversion.

hypeiv 07-31-02 12:07 AM

I love sega gt i still play it... its more arcade than gran turismo(controls not that realistic).... i like tokyo extreme racer too