DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Where do you buy your PS2 games? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/225765-where-do-you-buy-your-ps2-games.html)

criptik28 07-29-02 04:16 AM

Where do you buy your PS2 games?

I just got a PS2, but now I'm in shock at the high prices of the games. Where do you guys typically buy your games? At a local video game store (e.g. Electronics Boutique, Software Etc., CompUSA, etc.)? At a different kind of B&M store (Sears, WalMart, Blockbuster)? Online (amazon.com?)?

Also, do you guys usually buy games new, or used?

Thanks for the help!

BigDave 07-29-02 06:33 AM

I pretty much buy most of mine at B&M's like Best Buy, Target, etc. Most games start out at $50, but sometimes you can find them on sale. Look in Electronic Gaming Monthly for $5 off coupons for Best Buy.

I hope this doesn't take away from your Smallball activities. ;)

darkside 07-29-02 08:06 AM

Target (lots of Clearance deals as well as sales), Best Buy (sales or coupons), and EB. With EB I will sometimes use their trade in deals to get games or just get used ones.

discostu1337 07-29-02 08:12 AM

I get all but my first 2 ps2 games (GTA3/MGS2) used. Newer games go for $35, the rest are less. Recently got Gauntlet for $10, Red Faction for $8, and Crash Bandicoot for $17. Theres only 3-4 places around to get games, and they generally have the same games every time, and sometimes some bad prices though (Like Timesplitters for 34.99...I went and got it at Best Buy for $15) :(

Kellehair 07-29-02 09:43 AM

I suggest you buy them off of Ebay or from other DVDTalk members via the Video Game Exchange Forum.

joshd2012 07-29-02 09:46 AM

Since when is $50 a high price for a video game? I distinctly remember paying $50 for games for my Genesis all the time.

Static Cling 07-29-02 12:04 PM

I've gotten deals at Half.com and EA.com (they sent me a $15 off coupon for my birthday... how sweet! :)).

criptik28 07-29-02 01:53 PM

Originally posted by BigDave
I pretty much buy most of mine at B&M's like Best Buy, Target, etc. Most games start out at $50, but sometimes you can find them on sale. Look in Electronic Gaming Monthly for $5 off coupons for Best Buy.

I hope this doesn't take away from your Smallball activities. ;)

I hope not either. :)

Unfortunately, here I'm quite limited in the B&M stores I can go to. No Target, Electronics Boutique, Best Buy, Good Guys, etc. :(

criptik28 07-29-02 01:56 PM

It's safe to buy games used? A few times I've rented games from Blockbuster that had problems (game didn't load, skipping, scratches on disc, etc.).

criptik28 07-29-02 01:58 PM

Just found this site - www.pricegrabber.com - where you can find the lowest price of video games online (from selected stores). Anyone use this site?

Icculus 07-29-02 02:17 PM

Originally posted by criptik28
It's safe to buy games used? A few times I've rented games from Blockbuster that had problems (game didn't load, skipping, scratches on disc, etc.).
If you buy from places like EB or other chains you can always bring them back if you have problems. If I'm going to buy a game I usually buy new, most places only take around $5 off the new price :(.

~~ PAL ~~ 07-29-02 03:03 PM

Originally posted by criptik28
Just found this site - www.pricegrabber.com - where you can find the lowest price of video games online (from selected stores). Anyone use this site?
A similar site is http://www.gamepricezone.com/ - which also compare game prices. This site seems to be affiliated with dvdpricesearch.

PAL

wiilll 07-29-02 09:23 PM

i buy all my stuff online, auction sites and online retail storez...

MrKen 07-30-02 09:14 AM

I buy most of my games used from EB. Most of the ones I get are in pristine condition. They usually have a few of each on hand and I go there a lot so they grab a good one or let me look at a few. Even though I'm pretty sure they do take them back if there is a problem, so far everything has been aok. Can't say the same for Blockbuster though... and those damn stickers...

Anyway, if you are looking for a good deal on games right now, EB is running 10% off 2, 15% off 3, 20% off 4, and 25% off 5 (I think I got that right) on the preowns. In other words, if you grab five games you get 25% off all of them. Most of the really good deals I've got on this one were for PC games (Neverwinter nights for 14.99 with both books!) but I also picked up Ico for $9.74, Frequency for $14.99, MGS2 for $18.74, SSX Tricky for $22 or so (don't have that receipt right in front of me) and some others. Maximo is like 24.99 there now, so that would be $18.74 as well. GTA3 would be around $30 I guess.

alexkat 07-30-02 09:55 AM

I've purchased a lot from Blockbuster. The ones around me usually have the games in fairly good condition. When they have sale I usually at most spend about $15 a game. The only time I got a really bad looking disk is Maximo. The bottom looks horrid but it plays just fine.

criptik28 07-30-02 03:46 PM

I think the only place here that sells used games is Software Etc. I'd better ask them what the return policy is.

Corky Roxbury 07-31-02 04:46 PM

I buy most of my games at EB, but I don't like their new return policy, so I will probably buy from Target which seems to be $5 to $10 cheaper anyways. If you are looking for a release that has been out for a few months buy it on ebay, it is much cheaper that way. IMO

DVDHO 07-31-02 06:13 PM

Another good place for used games is BlockBuster if you can some how advoid those damm stickers,I bought Maximo there for 19.99 and was a newer release at the time,if you dont have B&Ms around your area online might be your only option unless there is a Walmart around.

criptik28 07-31-02 08:06 PM

I've been taking advantage of Sam Goody's online $10 off $50 coupon (ends today). Good new games for $40. :up:

mvc 08-01-02 08:07 PM

Since most of the video game shops here waaaaay overcharge for used games... I've been turning to eBay to get PS2 games. I just got a copy of FFX for $21 shipped. :thumbsup: