DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   How does X-BOX DVD A & V compare? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/225494-how-does-x-box-dvd-v-compare.html)

Wolf Husky 07-27-02 03:10 PM

How does X-BOX DVD A & V compare?

I have a Sony 660C DVD player. It isn't progressive, but I use RGB Monster cables for the video, with optical audio out.

I have been thinking about buying an X-Box with DVD, HDTV, and the works and selling my DVD player to offset cost.

Can anyone give detail about how the picture and DTS sound compare? Can I even get DTS sound? My stereo is DTS.

Thanks

boobietheclown 07-27-02 03:54 PM

My XBOX dvd with s-video is better than the quality I had with my Toshiba Sd-1200(i think thats the model...it was the least expensive at the time), which also had s-video. I have yet to see a choppy layer change...good stuff. I dont think you will be disappointed, but if you have a high-end dvd player you may not notice any change...

If you want to use the digital optical audio, just by the cable upgrade kit.

darkside 07-27-02 10:22 PM

The Xbox is a decent DVD player and it does output DTS, but I would not replace a Sony with it. The picture quality is about equal to most entry level players and the sound is great, but it is not going to be as good of a DVD player as your Sony 660.

I wouldn't do it if I was you.

Gallant Pig 07-27-02 10:24 PM

I say buy the Xbox and then see if the quality is good enough to replace your Sony. I would say if you have a 27 inch television you won't see the difference. Also does your Sony have layer change stuttering? Because the Xbox doesn't which is a big plus in my book.

TheVelvetRope 07-27-02 10:25 PM

I've been very pleased overall with my performance. I'm also using an S-Video connection and have never experienced any problems. I have yet to spot a layer change on a disc, even on discs where they've been glaringly obvious using other players. The only instance where I've seen a somewhat less-impressive image was my "Janet Jackson Live In Hawaii" DVD which is a Region 0 PAL version, which likely explains the very minor shimmer on fast-moving images and occasional color oversaturation. The fact that I could actually watch it w/o having to invest in a new player or a PAL-NTSC converter alone made it worthwhile to me. Keep in mind, though, that many things that are one-button actions on a dedicated DVD player require you to pull up menus and do a few keystrokes to accomplish, given the simplicity of the remote. Not a big deal to me, but it could be irritating to some folks. The XBox supports DTS (SSX Tricky is even encoded with it as an option!), but I currently only have mine connected to the TV, since I'm moving in a month and plan to upgrade my sound system from Pro-Logic later in the year.