DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Platinum Gamecube and a Mario Sunshine Bundle Coming this Fall (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/224881-platinum-gamecube-mario-sunshine-bundle-coming-fall.html)

Josh H 07-24-02 11:07 PM

Platinum Gamecube and a Mario Sunshine Bundle Coming this Fall

Both should help GCN sells this fall, which should already be strong given the games coming out.

The Mario Sunshine bundle will include the Console, the game, a controller, and a Mem 59 card for $189.95. Not bad as that's $40 for the game and mem card.

The Platinum Gamecube will just be a silver colored gcn and controller and will sell for the normal rate of $149.95.

The Platinum GBA is also making a comeback for $79.95.

Both are limited edition.

The full article is below.

from planet gamecube.com:

News Article: Nintendo announces Platinum GameCube

For all of you wishing for a silver GameCube after Spaceworld 2000, your chance is not too far off. Read on!

MAMMA MIA! MARIO AND NINTENDO TURN UP THE HEAT!

It's already the most-anticipated fall lineup in video game history--and it just powered up with a brand new one-two punch!

Nintendo of America today announces that effective October 14th, eager players will be able to purchase the indigo-colored Nintendo GameCube with the game they've been thirsting for, Super Mario Sunshine, as well as a Memory Card 59 to save their game progress, in one, aggressively priced hardware/software bundle. The Super Mario Sunshine bundle will be available at a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $189.95.

Then, on November 3rd players will begin to see the Nintendo GameCube itself in a whole new light. Following the overwhelming market response to the Platinum Edition of the handheld Game Boy Advance, a limited edition Platinum Nintendo GameCube dazzles the market, featuring a controller of the same shine. The Platinum Edition Nintendo GameCube will carry a manufacturer's suggested retail price of $149.95.

Finally, for those who view `going platinum' as a total lifestyle statement, the Platinum Game Boy Advance will make a brief return visit beginning on November 3rd as well, with an MSRP of $79.95.

Josh H 07-24-02 11:10 PM

Here's the IGN Cube article.

July 24, 2002 - In a preemptive strike towards owning this holiday season, Nintendo has announced that it will be selling a bundle to include an indigo-colored GameCube, Super Mario Sunshine, and a Memory Card 59 for an MSRP of $189.95. Gamers will be able get their hands on this steal this coming October 14, 2002. No doubt Nintendo knows its flagship Mario title will push hardware, and this is an aggressive effort to convince people there's plenty of good reasons to pick up the next-generation system. If you don't own a GameCube, this will be a very good time to buy.

However, if you've been a hardcore GameCube fan since the beginning or aren't looking for such a bundle, Nintendo is looking to dazzle consumers with yet another special release: the long-awaited Platinum GameCube. First seen at Space World 2000, where Nintendo first announced its cubic system, Nintendo is apparently finally ready to put it out on the market. The company had commented several times that the flashy, silver paint job was too expensive to mass produce, but it seems this limited edition release is just the right solution. Look for it in a game store near you on November 3, 2002, just prior to the release of the hotly anticipated Metroid Prime.

YujiNaka 07-24-02 11:17 PM

Oh god. Thats horrible and I hope nobody buys it.. Platinum silver Gamecube?!

Maybe Juvenile and the Cash Money Millionares want a Planitum video game system... but I would prefer the purple or black to that any day.

Any opinions anyone?

I think the Platinum GBA is extremely tacky and ugly, and am quite happy with my white one.. The clear is also nice.

Shoulda made a clear Gamecube instead of this ugly platinum...

-Jim

Josh H 07-24-02 11:25 PM

I don't like platinum either, but many people seem to love it as the Platinum GBA was a hot item. Plus throwing a "limited edition" label makes certain people "have to have it" if you know what I mean.

I think the Mario Sunshine bundle is better news as it should help seel the system come X-mas as it's more attractive to parents.

I mean a mom is shopping for her kid and decides to get him a console, she see's the X-box and PS2 for $199 with no game (and no mem card in the PS2's case) and the GCN at $189 with a game and memory card, which one is she more likely to buy?

It won't make a huge difference and most kids give there parent's a list and there parents stick to it, but it's bound to sell a few more consoles here and there to parents buying one on impulse, and to make it more affordable for parents that might not have bought one otherwise.

Groucho 07-24-02 11:28 PM

Too bad they didn't launch with this. They could've made a mint.

YujiNaka 07-25-02 12:55 AM

Speaking of Mario Sunshine bundle..

I got something in th email today about getting Mario Sunshine, strategy guide, 10$ off wavebird, memory card and nintendo power subscription for $69.95 or something like that.

That seems like a good deal for anyone just getting into Gamecube.. If I had more money I'd definately take advantage of it.

-Jim

Aghama 07-25-02 06:37 AM

Originally posted by YujiNaka
If you hadn't noticed, silver is all the rage for A/V equipment lately.

darkside 07-25-02 06:45 AM

I had the Platinum GBA and it looked pretty nice. I prefer black, but more color choices is a good thing.

spankyj 07-25-02 07:18 AM

Nice find. Good price on what should be a great bundle.

remjim 07-25-02 09:15 AM

I've been contemplating buying a Gamecube for a month now and figured that I'd wait till Mario came out. Now I'm defintely buying one although now I plan on waiting till October for the bundle. Plus I have enough PS2 games to tide me over till then anyways.

I wonder how many others will wait till October to play Mario though...

boobietheclown 07-25-02 09:30 AM

If I buy a console package this fall it will be that one. I am going to play Mario Sunshine at a friends a few times to see if I am just itching to get it.

Also, for the holiday season I would expect to see an XBOX bundle with a "free game" in it. Not sure which one. Have they mentioned reducing HALO, like the PS2 $20 games.

zero 07-25-02 12:55 PM

Originally posted by YujiNaka

Maybe Juvenile and the Cash Money Millionares want a Planitum video game system... but I would prefer the purple or black to that any day.

Any opinions anyone?

I think the Platinum GBA is extremely tacky and ugly, and am quite happy with my white one.. The clear is also nice.

Shoulda made a clear Gamecube instead of this ugly platinum...

-Jim

I know its hard to believe but, the gaming industry does'nt cater to your needs only-rolleyes-. Believe it or not a lot of people have passed up the GC and this is their chance to pick it up with a few extras. I know a a lot of people who would love a Platinum GC, but instead my friend is opting to buy the Panasonic Q. I do envy his paycheck it is a nice system. But I guess because he's buying it makes him some sort of Cash Money Bling Bling etc etc guy right? -rolleyes-.

Shawn 07-25-02 01:39 PM

The Mario Sunshine bundle will include the Console, the game, a controller, and a Mem 59 card for $189.95. Not bad as that's $40 for the game and mem card.
That's a really good deal. Now if only I had money :D

Josh H 07-25-02 02:10 PM

Well, you have until Oct. 14 to save up for it. :D