Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Crazy Taxi 3 Reviews and Thoughts: Post Yours

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-02, 02:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Crazy Taxi 3 Reviews and Thoughts: Post Yours

Well I finally got Crazy Taxi 3.. Was hoping to have it yesterday but none of the local Eb's/GameStop's got it in, hence I had to wait til about 12:30 today.

My thoughts on the game are that it is the best of the series, which is probably obvious, but, if you are a Crazy Taxi fan, you will love CT3.

They have included Small Apple and West Coast levels, but they have been redone graphically so that they look much much nicer, as well. Slowdown is a no factor in WestCoast and Small Apple, but a little bit in Glitter Oasis. It seems they have fixed up the slowdown since the demo, as in the demo I played, it slowed down constantly, and in this version, I havent really noticed any slowdown yet.. but I have only played each of the cities once.

The Crazy X is great, and the minigames so far are funny and fun. Not sure if it will turn out to be better than Crazy Pyramid in CT2, but hopefully. Crazy Box in CT1 wasnt all that great IMO.

I also like the newupdates to the NY and San Fran levels, as I went to a few destinations that appeared new to me. The San Francisco level I hadn't played in a while, and it is a great level still. Hard to say if its the best of the 3 on the disc, as I haven't played Glitter Oasis nearly enough yet.

Also, in the case, there is an ad for Sega toys/products from JoyRide. If you havent seen these yet, go to www.gamepro.com/joyride, as they have some cool SEGA products.

Post your thoughts on CT3 if you get it!
-Jim
Old 07-24-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow...I think you just talked me into getting this. I had decided against it, but now I may reconsider. Hmmm...???
Old 07-24-02, 02:12 PM
Retired

EGM scored it 9.0, 8.0, 8.0

Best Feature: Cabbies and Cities from the first two games, plus more.

Worst Feature: Game slows down in Glitter Oasis.

Random comments from the reviewers:

"Crazy Taxi fans couldn't ask for much more than this....CTS brings the best aspects of the first two games together and packages them with a third city that's simply loads of fun."

They also rave on the Crazy X mode (minigames) and say having the new crazy techniques really ads to the games.

Looks like this is a must buy for anyone that didn't burn themselves out on the first two games or just hates driving games in general.
Old 07-24-02, 03:04 PM
Banned

boobietheclown,
It's a great rental at the very least, but I would recommend the purchase just on how much game is available here.

It's mostly about replay and trying to beat your score here, and the Crazy X mode is quite good. It seems to be a bit harder than Crazy Pyramid, or maybe my skills just aren't as good anymore.

My favorite so far is Crazy UFO. You have to jump and knock UFO's back to space while they are floating around making crop circles..

Crazy Bowling is also back, except a bit harder this time now with the inclusion of jumps.

It seems to me that some of the minigames have better graphics than glitter oasis? I wonder if Glitter Oasis was originally designed for Dreamcast, and then redone for XBox, causing it not to totally use the power of Xbox? I dunno, but its still a good level.

-Jim
Old 07-24-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks again!

I guess trade in THPS3 on it...hmmm.
Old 07-24-02, 09:23 PM
Banned

Can't use your own soundtrack in Crazy Taxi 3..

very dumb on Sega's part.

Like the bands music, but still, I am sure that alot of people dont, and its so EASY to implement...
-Jim
Old 07-24-02, 11:22 PM
Banned

Well completed al the outer minigames of the Crazy X.. not too hard, some were really easy..

the inner ones are pretty damn hard so far though... the crazy bowling seems to be much harder than the last crazy bowling CT2...

Really like the new drivers, especially Bixbite.

-Jim
Old 07-25-02, 11:26 AM
Banned

Was up til 4AM trying to beat some of these damn mini games.. They get pretty hard on the second levels of the X....

Very addictive.

-Jim
Old 07-25-02, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Cant believe they didnt allow soundtracks on there...oh well. Like you said such an easy feature. Even more evidence it was originally for DC.
Old 07-25-02, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is music by Offspring again?
Old 07-25-02, 07:34 PM
Banned

They have alot of tracks from the previous games and new ones..

The bands:

Bed Religion
The OffSpring
Methods of Mayhem
Brian Setze 68 Comeback Special
Citizen Bird

Pretty good tracks, all very fitting. Just wish I could have listened to some AC/DC while I played!

-Jim
Old 07-25-02, 10:26 PM
Banned

I have it figured out... IMO of course.

Crazy Taxi 3 was definately going to be a Dreamcast game, or uses the EXACT dreamcast engine for CT3.

The first two levels have no slowdown, but Glitter Oasis has very little to HORRENDOUS slowdown.. My guess, they used the same dreamcast engine to do glitter oasis, except they upped the poly count from CT1/CT2 levels and added all the effects.. The engine isnt efficient for Xbox, and therefore the slowdown when the xbox doesnt appear to be anywhere near its peak..

Everything in CT3 is exactly like the CT1/2 engine, in how the people move, everything.. so thats my guess for the slowdown..

CT4 would certainly look MUCH better than Ct3 for Xbox, though CT3 is no slouch, as it certainly looks much better than a Dreamcast Crazy Taxi...

Almost done with the level 2 minigames, they are pretty hard.. Theres a good FAQ on this at www.gamefaqs.com if anyone is interested..

-Jim