Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Ending the "Kiddy vs. Adult" Game Debate

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-02, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Ending the "Kiddy vs. Adult" Game Debate

Once and for all...

It seems the forum is split on this topic of kiddie games and adult games.

The kiddie gamer - The games you like are intended for a general audience - from children on up to adults. You have no hang-ups on bubbles or colors or squeaky sounds. You focus on the gameplay and if you see it as challenging and entertaining, then you are able to enjoy yourselves. Nobody is accusing you of being immature or childish. Just because someone doesn't like the same games as you doesn't mean he thinks he's better than you as a person. Platformers and RPGs are among your favorite genres.

The adult gamer - The games you like are intended for an older crowd. Just because the game is for a more adult crowd, that doesn't mean it has blood and boobs and violence in it. Strategy games and sims are also considered to be more adult oriented. You also focus on the gameplay and if you see it as challenging and compelling or thought provoking, then you are able to enjoy yourselves. Nobody is accusing you of being narrow-minded or insecure. Just because someone doesn't like the same games as you doesn't mean that he thinks he's better than you as a person. Shooters, Strategys and Sims are among your favorite genres.

The outsider - These people are not gamers and never have been. They see gaming to be a childish waste of time alltogether. They don't see that games have boobs or bubbles, their idea of a game is pool or darts. Their opinion doesn't matter to us.

Fact is, we are all gamers... whether we like PCs, Nintendos, Xboxs, PS2s, MACs or gameboys. If someone on the forum says a game doesn't interest them because it's "geared more towards children" - what they mean is that they prefer titles that are more mature or adult oriented. By mature, they don't mean boobies and blood - they mean they like a different type of game like Action or FPS or Strategy, Racing or perhaps an RPG with more realistic and less cartoony looking characters. A good example would be the preference to play a game like Gran Tourismo over a game like Mario Kart... Gran Tourismo has no boobs or blood and yet it's considered to be more mature even though it's a title rated for everyone. Mario Kart may have great gameplay, but some people just prefer realism to cartoon characters. By 'geared towards children' they aren't talking about diapers and Barney the dinosaur and gerber baby food... they just mean titles that are designed to appeal to everyone. Just because something is made to appeal to everyone, doesn't mean it will. Mario Sunshine is a game designed for gamers of all ages. It's not made specifically for children just because the graphics have alot of color and it's cartoony and has flowers and sunshine or whatever. Nobody is accusing people who like this game of being 2 year olds. We are all gamers. We all like different types of games. The fact that we all like games should be enough to keep us out of fights. Let's take a break on dumping on each other and try to spend more time focusing on things you know about and like rather than posting about topics you know little about or have little interest in.
Old 07-20-02, 06:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Bi-Polar: The games you like are for the Adult, no younger, no wait female, no you selfish pig batstard the republican, no wait it doesnt matter anyways crowd. You have no hangups on boobies, bubbles, or brainsucking-ninja-zombie-strategy-puzzles, to you its all crack cocane anyways. You focus on the gameplay because if you don't your mother, girlfriend, wife, child will nag you till your forced to shove thier head in a happy Barnie the Dinosaur killer grip of death. Nobody is accusing you of anything, and you know this, because if you did they would meet an untimely demise at the hands of your controller wire. Just because someone doesn't like the games you do makes them a |_/\|\/|3|2 and you deserve the right to send them home to mommy cring. You think you are better than everyone because lets face it, you are.
You deserve to inhabbit the dark neather regions of the gaming multiverse, thats right, I'm talking about MMORPG gaming.

The GirlFriend - The games you like are simplistic to say the least, they don't require anything more than pressing the buttons on the controller in a maddening uncontrollable rappid fashion. Your idea of gameplay is making your boyfriend happy enough that he will take you to see "The Devine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood" and save you the $32.50 at the movie theater. You are never able to fully enjoy yourself because lets face it, that would mean he would "win" and you would "lose" what however no one knows. No one is accusing you of being immature or childish, just female. Just because you only like the games the rest of us tire of in 2.5 minuets doesn't mean its all bad, the fact you know the A button from the B button is all we really wanted in the first place.
Your favorit games are "Samba de Miao" "Dance Dance Revolution" and "Dead or Alive 2,3"

The Fanboy - You don't realy play games at all. Infact you've never touched a video game system in your life. You've read alot about them however and you envy the rest of the gaming world for your deprivity. You at random find a victum and ridicule them, searching all over the net for any negative article or rant against your victum, and then you hound them like a pissed off pitbull in heat. Nobody is accusing you of anything less than being a wanker and cheap entertainment. Just because you hate the gaming multiverse with every fiber of your being doesn't mean you can be our friend.
Your favorit games are the ones that havent come out yet.
Old 07-20-02, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. 2 very long posts. I'll have to read them later. Let me just happily say that I never hear comments like, "that game is stoopid cuz its 4 kiddies!" on ths board. I hope this thread doesn't manufacture a problem on this board that doesn't yet exist.
Old 07-20-02, 07:17 PM

My post was a joke.
Didn't mean to upset anyone.
Old 07-20-02, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't worry! I was only upset because it was too long.
Old 07-20-02, 07:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Hmm...I'll play any game that's fun whether it has "kiddie" content or "adult" content. Where do I fit in?
Old 07-20-02, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Groucho
Hmm...I'll play any game that's fun whether it has "kiddie" content or "adult" content. Where do I fit in?
You belong in the "I don't really have to post in this thread because it doesn't concern me" category.
Old 07-20-02, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why bother bringing Kiddie vs adult arguement out right now? we still have a PC vs CONSOLE arguement to win.
Old 07-20-02, 10:36 PM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Why bother bringing Kiddie vs adult arguement out right now? we still have a PC vs CONSOLE arguement to win.
What's the argument? PC gamers have to spend hundreds after hundreds for graphical upgrades to shooters and console ports that never turn out as good as the console games anyway (sure there are Age of Empires and Caesars, but those games could run on the weakest of the weakest PCs). The only upside that the PC gamers used to have is the hard drive, but these days, consoles are doing that. Mouse and keyboard to control characters on screen? No thanks...
Old 07-20-02, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What's the argument? PC gamers have to spend hundreds after hundreds for graphical upgrades to shooters and console ports that never turn out as good as the console games anyway (sure there are Age of Empires and Caesars, but those games could run on the weakest of the weakest PCs). The only upside that the PC gamers used to have is the hard drive, but these days, consoles are doing that. Mouse and keyboard to control characters on screen? No thanks...
I'd detail what's wrong in that post but it would take all night. Pull your head out of...the sand.
Old 07-20-02, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Ending the "Kiddy vs. Adult" Game Debate

Originally posted by Trigger
Once and for all...

It seems the forum is split on this topic of kiddie games and adult games.

The kiddie gamer - The games you like are intended for a general audience - from children on up to adults. You have no hang-ups on bubbles or colors or squeaky sounds. You focus on the gameplay and if you see it as challenging and entertaining, then you are able to enjoy yourselves. Nobody is accusing you of being immature or childish. Just because someone doesn't like the same games as you doesn't mean he thinks he's better than you as a person. Platformers and RPGs are among your favorite genres.

The adult gamer - The games you like are intended for an older crowd. Just because the game is for a more adult crowd, that doesn't mean it has blood and boobs and violence in it. Strategy games and sims are also considered to be more adult oriented. You also focus on the gameplay and if you see it as challenging and compelling or thought provoking, then you are able to enjoy yourselves. Nobody is accusing you of being narrow-minded or insecure. Just because someone doesn't like the same games as you doesn't mean that he thinks he's better than you as a person. Shooters, Strategys and Sims are among your favorite genres.

The outsider - These people are not gamers and never have been. They see gaming to be a childish waste of time alltogether. They don't see that games have boobs or bubbles, their idea of a game is pool or darts. Their opinion doesn't matter to us.

Fact is, we are all gamers... whether we like PCs, Nintendos, Xboxs, PS2s, MACs or gameboys. If someone on the forum says a game doesn't interest them because it's "geared more towards children" - what they mean is that they prefer titles that are more mature or adult oriented. By mature, they don't mean boobies and blood - they mean they like a different type of game like Action or FPS or Strategy, Racing or perhaps an RPG with more realistic and less cartoony looking characters. A good example would be the preference to play a game like Gran Tourismo over a game like Mario Kart... Gran Tourismo has no boobs or blood and yet it's considered to be more mature even though it's a title rated for everyone. Mario Kart may have great gameplay, but some people just prefer realism to cartoon characters. By 'geared towards children' they aren't talking about diapers and Barney the dinosaur and gerber baby food... they just mean titles that are designed to appeal to everyone. Just because something is made to appeal to everyone, doesn't mean it will. Mario Sunshine is a game designed for gamers of all ages. It's not made specifically for children just because the graphics have alot of color and it's cartoony and has flowers and sunshine or whatever. Nobody is accusing people who like this game of being 2 year olds. We are all gamers. We all like different types of games. The fact that we all like games should be enough to keep us out of fights. Let's take a break on dumping on each other and try to spend more time focusing on things you know about and like rather than posting about topics you know little about or have little interest in.

The whole point of the argument was to make you get so frustrated with it that you are forced to write an essay about it. Mission accomplished, we shall stop now.
Old 07-20-02, 11:39 PM
Retired

You forgot a category.

Hardcore gamer: Just plays games to have fun. Doesn't care if it's realistic violent game, or a cartoony platformer as long as the game is fun to play. Doesn't give a crap whether people say the game is kiddy, or whether it has a "M" on the front of the box.
Old 07-21-02, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You're all full of
Old 07-21-02, 01:59 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Kellehair
I'd detail what's wrong in that post but it would take all night. Pull your head out of...the sand.
Go ahead, I'd be delighted if you continued. A condensed version perhaps? I have respected your opinion and arguments quite a bit on this board (you and Josh Hinkle moreso than anyone else), so I would love to see where you stand on this. Of course this isn't really even the appropriate thread for this discussion, but we can easily take it elsewhere.
Old 07-21-02, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
The PC Crowd won that one a long time ago. The problem is that the Console crowd has such slow PC's that they still have not downloaded the posts and figured out they lost yet.

Maybe if they upgraded once and a while
Old 07-21-02, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by gcribbs
The PC Crowd won that one a long time ago. The problem is that the Console crowd has such slow PC's that they still have not downloaded the posts and figured out they lost yet.

Maybe if they upgraded once and a while
Okay, I have to admit it... that was not a failed attempt!

-k
###
Old 07-21-02, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How did this turn into a PC versus Console discussion? I just started this thread to try to represent both sides of the kiddie games vs. boobie blood games debaucle so there wouldn't be any more misunderstandings. It seems the people who play Nintendo games are really defensive about their games and take offense to others who say the games are for kids... their retort is that mature games are just about boobies and blood and that's not any more true than the idea that only kids are supposed to play Nintendo. I tried to make the post unbiased - my goal is to see these petty disputes go away.

by the way gcribbs - that was damn funny.
Old 07-21-02, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

C'mon dude, the very fact that you're calling them "kiddie gamers" is intended to belittle. Very few people only go for games with bright primary colors and cute characters, but there are plenty of people who are vocal about those type of games automatically sucking. Some of us are able to get past the overly cutesy crap to get to the gameply, and some aren't.
Old 07-21-02, 10:58 AM
Retired

Exactly. Calling them kiddy games in the first place is ignorant and meant to belittle the games. If Trigger wants this debate to go away, he should stop calling them kiddy games. If he can't get past the cutesy graphics and get to the gameplay, that's his loss. He, and those like them, could avoid causing this debate (which he apparently is annoyed by) by not calling the games kiddy.
Old 07-21-02, 12:42 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Let's make a compromise: Trigger can continue to call them "Kiddy" if he calls the other games "Horny Teen."

Penny Arcade did a good strip a while back on this very subject:

Penny Arcade (F-bomb warning!)

Last edited by Groucho; 07-21-02 at 12:46 PM.
Old 07-21-02, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Aghama
C'mon dude, the very fact that you're calling them "kiddie gamers" is intended to belittle. Very few people only go for games with bright primary colors and cute characters, but there are plenty of people who are vocal about those type of games automatically sucking. Some of us are able to get past the overly cutesy crap to get to the gameply, and some aren't.
No - calling them "kiddie games" wasn't meant to belittle. It was just a differentiation that the rest of the forum had adopted. Get over it. Look - Adult games are no more for adults than Kiddie games are for kids. I don't give a sh** what you want to call them. Children's games? Family games? Ass games? I don't care. You tell me what Politically Correct term you would prefer and I'll go insert it into the other posts... <small>you big baby</small>

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Exactly. Calling them kiddy games in the first place is ignorant and meant to belittle the games. If Trigger wants this debate to go away, he should stop calling them kiddy games. If he can't get past the cutesy graphics and get to the gameplay, that's his loss. He, and those like them, could avoid causing this debate (which he apparently is annoyed by) by not calling the games kiddy.
Oh - okay - so I'm ignorant now. Once again you speak about something you know nothing about. You don't know my intentions, so how can you know I was trying to belittle anyone. Just because you have an inferiority complex, doesn't mean everyone is better than you and just because you are paranoid doesn't mean everyone is out to get you. That's fine - I'll stop calling them Kiddy games - that's just what everyone else was doing... I don't care. Like I've said - I was playing the Britney Spears game which is probably best described as a girlie game. I don't care - I was playing a girlie game. Doesn't make me a girlie. The fact that you two are bitching about the word "Kiddie" is missing the whole point of the post - you should be wearing the word Kiddie on your shirt like a badge... but I should've known you of all people wouldn't get it.

Originally posted by Groucho
Penny Arcade did a good strip a while back on this very subject:

Penny Arcade (F-bomb warning!)
I've seen that before... That's funny.
Old 07-21-02, 03:00 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If the terminology is such an important part of this discussion, I recommend these terms... the general audience gamer vs. the mature audience gamer.

I honestly don't see the problem, though, because Trigger went out of his way to describe each category in detail.

*waits for someone to take offense by incorrectly thinking I'm painting the general audience gamer as immature*

I also recommend that people avoid calling each other and each other's arguments "ignorant" or making implications about each other's psyches. Comments like these don't further the actual discussion, but are just a lower-grade form of name-calling.
Old 07-21-02, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks Static Cling - I'm glad to see the moderator can recognize that I'm trying to diffuse the arguments rather than insult anyone or further fuel them. I'm happy to go back and change the terminoligy if you like - I just thought that using the term "Kiddie" and describing it as I did would enable people to not get so heated if someone innocently says that a game is "too kiddy" for their tastes... I guess some people can't see past that. Part of my point was that people who think a game is too kiddy for them aren't saying the people who like those games are children or mental infants - they just don't like that style of gameplay/theme. On the flip of the coin, gamers who prefer adult titles (which is a term typically reserved for porn material on Skinemax) aren't always looking for boobies and blood. Anyway - I guess some people are happier arguing than getting along.
Old 07-21-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Trigger

No - calling them "kiddie games" wasn't meant to belittle. It was just a differentiation that the rest of the forum had adopted. Get over it. Look - Adult games are no more for adults than Kiddie games are for kids. I don't give a sh** what you want to call them. Children's games? Family games? Ass games? I don't care. You tell me what Politically Correct term you would prefer and I'll go insert it into the other posts... <small>you big baby</small>
When has this forum ever adopted a consensus of any kind? You also missed the whole point of my post: your classifications are wrong. Your kiddie gamers play plenty of more mature games; GTA3 was beyond a doubt the best console game I played last year. I don't really care what you call the games, but just keep the "kiddie" label away from me and we'll be nice and kosher, dig?

I'll also take this opportunity to revoke part of what I said in another thread. This growing trend of immature games is irritating me, and the two biggies are DOA Volleyball and Mirra XXX. The only reason I called out the Xbox developers was because for some reason I thought XXX was only coming out for that system...I was obviously totally mistaken.
Old 07-21-02, 03:28 PM
zig

I don't know why we have to have terms for either. Almost every game is for general audiences. Very few games require intense thought and concentration that supposedly only mature people have. The only games that aren't for general audiences are the ones with gratuitous blood, nudity, or language. And most people would agree, those aren't mature games. Let's just call them games. Games, Games, and Games With Tits. Whether you mean it to or not, calling a game kiddie is putting the game down. I don't REALLY care if you want to call them kiddie, you can call a game whatever you want. But what purpose does the word serve other than to insult the game. None. It doesn't describe the game, because I have no idea what you personally consider kiddie or not kiddie or whatever. I had a point in here somewhere.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.