Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What I Rented With My Blockbuster Games Pass on My Summer Vacation

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-02, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
What I Rented With My Blockbuster Games Pass on My Summer Vacation

Rented:

Outlaw Golf - Xbox - Good - I liked it so much I bought it.

Bruce Lee - Xbox - Shite - It only took a couple of minutes for us to realize just how much of a piece of crap this game is. Don't bother.

Hunters The Reckoning - Xbox - Good Gauntlet clone... multiplayer is where it's at. Bring a friend or two or three. (bought it)

Britney Spears dancing game - PS2 - so-so, music is repetitive with only 5 songs and you really really have to like britney's music which I don't. The game itself is fun - it would be more fun with a dance mat. 75% complete in single player. (if you like Britney)

Stuntman - PS2 - crap, long load times and frustrating challenges and scenarios that completely defy logic and just too much to complain about really. Finished

007 Agent Under Fire - Xbox - so-so, as a First Person Shooter goes, it sucks - but as a cheesey movie license console game, it's okay. The controlls weren't that bad once you switch the default settings. It's about 2 or 3 steps down from NOLF. Several Levels in - at least halfway through. (but not that bad)

MIB2 - PS2 - sucks, the controls are nice, but it's just a dumb game that failed to hold my interest. Only got 5 minutes in.

Agressive Inline - PS2 - so-so, Decent controls. Tony Hawk clone with a few bimbos thrown in to help sell the game . The game has an unfinished look to it and it also looks rushed. The sound is terrible as well. The levels are laid out okay though and are moderately creative almost. First 2 levels complete so far. Update: My roommate opened every level and played this for hours and hours on end... I had to wait until he was at work to go exchange it for something else. He really liked it "because it's easy" and there's "so much to do" which is true - there is tons of stuff to do and unlock and it is indeed easy. Tony Hawk for the unskilled? (from me) (from my roommate, but only kinda)

Wipeout: Fusion - PS2 - I liked the Wipeout game for the PC or PS or whatever... It was fun. My roommate thought it was boring and he was kinda right since there were only like 3 different courses with 6 total tracks to race and 3 ships. Anyway this game is 100x bigger with way more courses and tracks and way more ships and it's all so customizeable and hella fun. I wanna buy it - is it coming out for Xbox? (bought it)

Pirates of the Black Kat - Xbox - or whatever the game is called... It's stupid, but it's almost kinda fun. The graphics for the Xbox version are really nice - excellent in some respects and average in others. I wouldn't buy it, but it actually makes a decent rental. Maybe I'd buy it for 15 bucks. (just barely)

Circus Maximus - Xbox - Lame chariot racer. Combat scheme is dumb, the race is slow and boring, and the graphics aren't the best. That's the single player experience... I've heard that the multiplayer experience is much different. It does have a few nice ideas here, but overall it wasn't my thing. It might be good for some dumb racing fun for a group of people.

Extreme G3 - PS2 - WipEout clone with hot chicks and sculpted dudes in skin-tight clothing riding motorcycles. The levels aren't nearly as interesting as WipEout and the feeling of speed isn't quite there. It's easy enough to control. Weapons system is lame. It would be better if WipEout didn't exist, but why pick this up when the real thing is available?

Gauntlet Legacy - Xbox - Really disappointing. My first time playing this newest Gauntlet game. I was a huge fan of the original arcades and the PC versions - I even liked the PC clone Medieval. This was just really lame. Not fast and not cool... the original style that made the series so cool is emulated, but absent nonetheless.

Kinetica - PS2 - WipEout clone with hot chicks and sculpted dudes in skin-tight clothing and wheels on their feet and hands. This game appears to have been designed by some uber perv. The whole thing is about fetish bondage sex racing. Actually - this is more like WipEout meets Extreme G3 meets JSRF. The racers are on all fours as you stare at their thonged butt crack. You get speed boosts by holding down the shoulder button and wiggling the analog stick (oooh baby)... this causes your character to dance around like a raver on X. Anyway - it's not as good as WipEout and better than Extreme G3. The racers are harder to control and the weapons system is weak, but it's still more fun that EG3 (the motorcycle racing is just so boring). (but almost a thumbs up - just so-so)

Morrowind - Xbox - Uhh... I don't like RPGs, so I don't know why I picked this up. It's in first person perspective, so maybe my FPS background could come in handy. I don't know - maybe I could get into this if I had a few years to kill. The controls are nice, the graphics are okay, as an RPG - it's pretty decent. It seems to be made for little kids though. (for the genre, it's great - not a game for me though)

New Legends - Xbox - Crap.

Dynasty Warriors 3 - PS2 - I'm not into this type of game. My roommate rented the second one before and he liked it alot. I could never see why. (from me) (from my roommate)

Mike Tyson's Boxing - Xbox - Maybe we weren't in the mood... we had it for 5 minutes before driving back to swap it out for something else. As boxing games go, I guess it's okay. Ready to Rumble is a little more fun. I may give it another shot, but probably not.

Okage: Shadow King - PS2 - Crap. I've been mostly a PC gamer up until recently and this is apparently what consolers consider to be an RPG. It's more like a children's book with pictures. The gameplay consists of reading text and moving your character around so you can find more text to read. Parents should beware a little bit if they are religious - lots of blasphemy. I asked my roommate why this game sucked so much and he told me that this is what all RPGs are like... I asked him which ones and he said "All of them." This went on back and forth for awhile until I got him to name a few - Final Fantasy and Phantasy Star (I think that's what he said)... No wonder I hate these games. Dumb. I don't consider that an RPG. It's not an adventure either since there's no real inventory with combining items and since everything is scripted so that your choices make no difference. Maybe Final Fantasy has more depth than that, but Okage is crappy. (from me - my roommate said he kinda liked it and then 5 minutes later he agreed with me)

Oddworld - Xbox - I actually didn't rent this, I bought it for super cheap from half.com. It's pretty good believe it or not. It's a fairly linear adventure platformer with a fun story and characters. It's easy to master and if you missed the first two games, there's a backstory that brings you up to speed (although it's not very thorough).

---------------------------

That's where I'm at so far - I'll edit this post as we go. Probably only going to rent a few more before this runs out since nothing is ever in there and their selection sucks anyway. MIB2 is going back tomorrow, Inline is going to get at least another day. Anyone else care to share their experiences?

Last edited by Trigger; 08-08-02 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-18-02, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well here's what I rented:

PS2

Medal of Honor: Frontline, Wow this game was amazing. The first level is so engrossing and chaotic I really got hooked. I returned it the next day just so I could rent other games but I'm definitely getting this again.

Red Faction, A lot of fun for me, the first FPS I've enjoyed in a long time. Makes me want to play Halo even more.

Wipeout: Fusion, Eh ok. Guess I'm not really a wipeout fan. This was the first wipeout game I've played.

Experiment 626, For my son but gameplay was surprisingly fun and addicting.

Max Payne, Interesting concept, but load times for me were atrocious. Just couldn't get into it. Probably wasn't in the mood for such a violent game that day.

Armored Core 2: Another Age, Only had an hour to mess around with the multiplayer mode. I didn't really enjoy it and neither did my nephew. Maybe single player is better but I returned before trying it out.

Onimusha, Pretty interesting, but more along the same lines of DMC or RE with the prerendered backgrounds and fixed camera angles.

MIB II, Ok shooter worth about an hour I played with it.

Test Drive, Fun and managed to finish it within 2 days.

PSOne

Breath of Fire IV, Very addicting and enjoyable. It's a shame I got a PSOne only a month ago. I missed some really good rpg's

FFVIII, Really enjoyed FFX, and wanted to check some of the older games, but this one wasn't interesting to me at all. This was the only other FF title they had.

X-Men Mutant Academy 2, I must really suck at fighting games because I couldn't get very far in this one and it started to frustrate me. My nephew ended up beating the game with Wolverine, but even he didn't find it too great.

GC

Burnout, Really, really liked this racing game. Short, but racing 130mph in head on traffic is a rush. Ended up renting this twice to finish the game.

Eternal Darkness, Wow! That's what I said during the first few chapters, then as I got along I just felt like it wasn't going anywhere. I mean I understood the story and all but it all felt repetitive. I really wanted to like this game but I'd say it was just average. I did like the battle system though.

Waverace: Blue Storm, Single player is good, although hard mode is really hard. 3-4 multiplayer was terrible, the screen is way too small to see anything. The water effects are amazing though.

Wrestlemania X8, Good multiplayer fun. Create a wrestler was a lot of fun.

MX Superfly/Freekstyle, I can't remember which one I rented but I assume there both about the same. Ok racing title, didn't get to check to 2 player mode. Another one I only had an hour to play with.

Pikmin, Great game, at first I got frustrated and was lost. At day 15 I only had 10 parts and I knew I wouldn't make it, so I started over. Once I figured out a little strategy the game was really addicting and fast. I was amazed at how quickly the days went by. I managed to finish the game in two sittings. Challenge mode was also a lot of fun.

Donald Duck Gone Quackers, For my son I haven't let him play it yet.

Agent Under Fire, Pretty interesting multiplayer is fun.

Spiderman, Greatly improved from the DC game. Enjoyable for about 2 hours.

I believe that's it. I may have missed a title of two but if I forgot it already it must not have been that great. Still looking to get Test Drive, NOLF, Half Life, Jak & Daxter, Spy Hunter. I rented Red Faction twice, this time I'm gonna finish it, Burnout twice to finish that one, and I may rent Pikmin again because it's really fun and if I have any time Breath of Fire IV and MOH:F. The rest of the games I rented only kept my attention for an hour or two.

Last edited by alexkat; 07-25-02 at 10:13 AM.
Old 07-18-02, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: What I Rented With My Blockbuster Games Pass on My Summer Vacation

Originally posted by Trigger
Rented:

Agressive Inline - PS2 - so-so, Decent controls. Tony Hawk clone with a few bimbos thrown in to help sell the game . The game has an unfinished look to it and it also looks rushed. The sound is terrible as well. The levels are laid out okay though and are moderately creative almost. First 2 levels complete so far
I also rented this and I enjoyed the it very much. But I ask you how can the skating bimbos be a BAD thing?
Old 07-18-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: What I Rented With My Blockbuster Games Pass on My Summer Vacation

Originally posted by zero

I also rented this and I enjoyed the it very much. But I ask you how can the skating bimbos be a BAD thing?
Oh I guess it's because they looked like an afterthought compared to the animation of the other skaters. It's just insulting that they think consumers are too driven by their penis to want to buy a game for the gameplay and that consumers need T & A before they'll show interest. I'm just being a little cynical. Sure, the boobies bobble on the chick, but it doesn't give me the hot or anything - it's not a real person.
Old 07-18-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I rented...

outlaw golf - disappointed
oddworld: munches odysee --
bruce lee --
splashdown --
jedi starfighter -- neutral
jet set radio future -- cool rental
max payne -- of course!
legends of wrestling --
dave mirra 2 --
amped -- neutral
ssx tricky -- neutral
GTA3 for my brothers PS2 --
MOH:Frontline for bro's PS2 --
Old 07-18-02, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Re: Re: What I Rented With My Blockbuster Games Pass on My Summer Vacation

Oh I guess it's because they looked like an afterthought compared to the animation of the other skaters. It's just insulting that they think consumers are too driven by their penis to want to buy a game for the gameplay and that consumers need T & A before they'll show interest. I'm just being a little cynical. Sure, the boobies bobble on the chick, but it doesn't give me the hot or anything - it's not a real person.
Doesnt give you the hot? Do you have a heart? Does it beat blood? j/k But then again this is coming from me and DOA Beach Volleyball is one of the reasons Im buying an XBox.
Old 07-18-02, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nothing wrong with being a total perv who is controlled by his wang.
j.k
Old 07-18-02, 04:30 PM

You think Tomb Raider would be that successful if the lead character was a guy? Maybe if he was Indiana Jones.

ANYWAYS,

MiB2 does kinda suck. Doesnt really hold my interest as well and the graphics blow.

Agent Under Fire...so-so, I dont really like FPS on consoles.

Agressive Inline...so-so as well

SSX tricky - GREAT Snowboarding game, its time to rock the mic its tricky, its tricky!! TRICKY!!!!!
Old 07-18-02, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Split with my brother, so didn't get to rent as much as you all. Still more than got my moneys worth (and I still have 5 days).

Xbox
Knockout Kings 2002 (current)--Love this game.

Outlaw Golf--Nothing can compare to HSG3.

Oddworld--This could be a purchase, especially at it's reduced price.

Hunter: The Reckoning-neutral-Didn't really have a chance to give it tons of time, but what I played was cool.

NHL 2002--Had it for PS2. Just gave it a quick rental to satisfy my hockey cravings.

Dead or Alive 3--Didn't like it.

PS2
Scooby Doo-don't know-For my girlfriend. She liked it.

GameCube
Eternal Darkness-neutral-This one really needed more time than I was able to give it.
Old 07-19-02, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Xbox:
Outlaw Golf - 4/5
Fifa Worldcup - 4/5
Pirates - slow reptitive 1/5
NFL Fever - 2/5 :thumbsdown:
Spashdown - 3/5 flat thumb
Test Drive - 3/5 :thumbsdown:
Old 07-19-02, 09:55 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Just picked up a game pass last night.

Rented:

Spider-Man (PS2) - So far its a pretty cool game.
StuntMan (PS2) - Concept is nice.. but since it has no instructions and is hard to learn, its going back today. I'll pick up something else.
Old 07-19-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Only had it for 6 days...

GC - Wrestlemania X8 - Not impressed. Wish it would've been more like WM2K/No Mercy
PS2 - Tiger Woods 2002 - Good game. Might pick it up on PC.
PS2 - MOH-Frontline - 2 thumbs up.

About to head off to BB to make two returns and pick up 2 new games... yay.
Old 07-24-02, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Updated my first post with Pirates and Wipeout Fusion.

You guys need to update your posts and new people need to pipe up and say what they've been renting with their Games Freedom Pass.
Old 07-24-02, 06:40 PM
Shawn

Wipeout: Fusion - PS2 - I liked the Wipeout game for the PC or PS or whatever... It was fun. My roommate thought it was boring and he was kinda right since there were only like 3 different courses with 6 total tracks to race and 3 ships. Anyway this game is 100x bigger with way more courses and tracks and way more ships and it's all so customizeable and hella fun. I wanna buy it - is it coming out for Xbox?
I did a quick search of Flay's thread and I didn't find anything. Anyone else have any info on it?
Old 07-24-02, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

By the way - I meant to add that my roommate enjoyed this version (where the original left him flat)... Those who liked the first one enough will surely enjoy this one. It's massive and the difficulty gets progressively harder as you go, so it'll always be challenging but the early levels are easy enough that beginners can play and it gets difficult gradually - it's well done.
Old 07-30-02, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
You know I've been reading these BB Game Pass threads and finally decided that it might actually be a good deal (offered by the dark side you never know) anyway I'm excited thinking about trying out a bunch of different games. So I go to the BB cloesest to my house actually have a fairly good selection of games (I have a GC & XBox) and two I'd like to try.

[VENT] I Get up to the counter and tell the clerk I would like to buy a GamePass she has no clue, calls the manager up and I find out that it's only offered by corporate stores. Okay which ones in town are corporate? None the closest one is 180 miles that way (points east). Needless to say I was disappointed. Just further diminishes my feelings towards big blue.[/VENT]

Old 07-30-02, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

aw man - that sucks.

BB is also starting a DVD Freedom Pass for 17.99 for a month of unlimited DVDs with no late fees (2 at a time). Probably corporate as well. Anyway - look on the bright side... since your local Best Buy isn't corporate run, it's probably at least a somewhat pleasant experience renting from there as opposed to the corporate stores which is like getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly. I hate BB, but the Games Freedom Pass was a fairly sweet deal for us at the time.
Old 07-31-02, 04:18 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

I rented Medal of Honor: Frontline, all I can say is WOW, I would like to see a war vet play this and see what they think (They were emotionally moved during Saving Private Ryan) then again most older people won't play video games.

I also rented Test Drive, I hated it, I played for half an hour and then returned it.

For Xbox, I rented Knockout Kings 2002 3 times I love this game. I also rented 2k2

I wanted to rent Outlaw Golf and MLB slugfest(PS2) but every time I go to BB they are out.
Old 07-31-02, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Test Drive series has always sucked... I don't know why. I don't know how they keep making them either. It was always second fiddle to Need for Speed's franchise.
Old 08-02-02, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay - updated my first post with 5 more titles. I'm thinking about renewing my Games Freedom Pass since August 5th is the last day they will be doing this promotion. I just wish they had more than 20 games. Anyone think I should renew?
Old 08-02-02, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay - updated my first post with 5 more titles. I'm thinking about renewing my Games Freedom Pass since August 5th is the last day they will be doing this promotion. I just wish they had more than 20 games. Anyone think I should renew?
I agree...its definately worth it for the 20 bucks, but I already rented almost every XBOX game. Of course I could test out the different NFL games to see which one I should buy...???

-J
Old 08-02-02, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by alexkat

Breath of Fire IV, Very addicting and enjoyable. It's a shame I got a PSOne only a month ago. I missed some really good rpg's

FFVIII, Really enjoyed FFX, and wanted to check some of the older games, but this one wasn't interesting to me at all. This was the only other FF title they had.
FF8 was a bit disappointing (drawing spells was way too time consuming). FF7 was an absolutely amazing game and the graphics aren't too badly outdated either. FF9 was excellent as well. If you have the time and want to check out some other PS1 RPGs, Chrono Cross and Xenogears were very good. Parasite Eve wasn't bad either and I heard Legend of Mana was good (didn't play that one). Of course, you could always wait for upcoming PS2 RPGs, such as Xenosaga and Kingdom Hearts. But, just in case, you couldn't wait.
Old 08-06-02, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I renewed my pass for another month...

I kept Morrowind and rented New Legends...
Old 08-06-02, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by golucky

Pirates - slow reptitive 1/5
Confusion has set in
Old 08-08-02, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

added 5 more reviewed games and also added thumb icons.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.