DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   I'm trading systems for a week (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/222306-im-trading-systems-week.html)

MasterofDVD 07-14-02 12:18 AM

I'm trading systems for a week

My one friend at work is pretty bummed about his GC. The wait for new games is killing him. We've been talking to each other about all the games we'd love to play on the others system. So we figured we'd swap for a week. He gets my PS2, games and everything else and I get all his GC stuff.

He's been craving GTA3, Jak & Daxter, Medal Of Honor and few others I have. This kid is a huge game freak but has never played a FF game. Even if FFX isn't the best to start him off on it's better than nothing.

Now I get to play Eternal Darkness, RE, SSB:M and Agent Under Fire. I've played all but Eternal Dakness for short periods. The first time I played SSB:M I picked the guys who throws bacon. Of course everyone laughed cause he has to be the worst one to pick in the game.

I'm kinda nervous about not backing up my memory card. He has two so I'm getting his old smaller one. Even he messes something up I'll know it was a mistake and it's only a game right? ;)

I tend to read threads about all games and all systems so I certainly have a list of games I'm hoping to rent here for the GC.

Souljahh 07-14-02 02:00 AM

Mr. Game and Watch is awesome.

Kellehair 07-14-02 03:59 AM

You got the better end of the stick. Enjoy.

jim_mailman1962 07-14-02 08:08 AM

You get that PS2 back mista. J/k. Both are great systems! Enjoy!

focker 07-14-02 10:39 AM

Make sure to try out Super Monkey Ball. I recently got a GC and it's the only game I've picked up so far. That game alone has made me happy I got the system. I'm hoping to pick up Eternal Darkness soon, but even if I don't SMB will be enough for me to hold out until Super Mario Sunshine arrives.

Kellehair 07-14-02 11:03 AM

I'm hoping to pick up Eternal Darkness soon
Either BB or CC is offering $10 off if you buy ED and a Wavebird controller this week.

MasterofDVD 07-14-02 09:23 PM

Well....I certainly gave him more games than I got from him.

I gave him about 14 and I got about half that but there are good ones in there that I've been dying for so I guess I'll be okay.

Chris_D 07-15-02 04:32 AM

Yup another GC owner with only SMB here... play it now!

Chris

MasterofDVD 07-15-02 05:09 AM

Well...it's 6 am and I spent most of the night with Eternal Darkness. It's fun but not what I expected from all the talk around here. I'm still into it but I need a break.

I have no idea that the Sonic Adventure game had a 1 player mode so I played that a bit. When he brought it over before we only played 2 player.

I just cannot get back in RE. I used to love the series but the controls ticked me off all over again.

SSB:M is something I'll play when my wife wakes up and I have someone to fight.

I went to Blockbuster after work to see if anything jumped out at me and I'm not sure if it's this way all over but the selection there for GC games was awful.

I have to say that I do miss my PS2. Almost bought Tetris Worlds tonight until my wife reminded me that we'd have to wait a week or so to play it. Doh! How quickly I forget.

Kellehair 07-15-02 08:19 AM

I just cannot get back in RE. I used to love the series but the controls ticked me off all over again.
Try control scheme C. It's pretty cool.

SSB:M is something I'll play when my wife wakes up and I have someone to fight.
Give the 1 player a try. There's a million things to do.

Almost bought Tetris Worlds tonight
I think I heard that it's awful.

MasterofDVD 07-15-02 09:58 AM

Well....as for the Tetris Worlds I think I have to get it. We have that Tetris Plus and it's the freaked out version of Tetris. I hate it. I had told my wife for ages that I was good at Tetris then we go and get this version and make it look like I suck. I want normal Tetris again. I must have it.

Kellehair 07-15-02 11:34 AM

OK. It sounds really crappy though.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/363/363467p1.html

MasterofDVD 07-16-02 03:08 AM

Well...I think I'm ready to swap back now.
:D

For the life of me I can't enjoy SSB:M. It's a party game mainly and I'm sure that if I had friends over or live in a frat house it would be much better. The 1 cool thing is taking the pictures in the game. They look damn_cool.

And how long till Eternal Darkness gets reall good and in depth as far as the story? I'm on the 6 or 7 chapter, the Indy guy, and so far the story seems thin to me. I wanna beat it but the story isn't as compelling as I thought it would be.

Agent Under Fire is the only good one I've found. It's a bit too easy but I certainly would like to get the PS2 version.

If I ever did get a second gaming system for myself it would certainly be the GC but the games I thought would be good certainly turned out to be a disappointment.

Kellehair 07-16-02 09:41 AM

For the life of me I can't enjoy SSB:M. It's a party game mainly
That's not true. There's a lot of stuff to do for a single player. I spent at least 20 hours on the single player and probably a lot more than that.

And how long till Eternal Darkness gets reall good and in depth as far as the story?
Does the story not have you hooked at all? You're not interested in seeing what happens next? Of course the story's not as deep as an RPG but it gives me and most of the other people around here a reason to keep moving through the game. I'm on 2nd time through the game right now and I think the story is actually better. Everything makes more sense and I'm picking up on things I missed.

Agent Under Fire is the only good one I've found.
That's not even one of the Cube's 10 best games, probably not one of the best 20 actually.

Icculus 07-16-02 09:45 AM

Originally posted by MasterofDVD
Well...I think I'm ready to swap back now.
:D

For the life of me I can't enjoy SSB:M. It's a party game mainly and I'm sure that if I had friends over or live in a frat house it would be much better. The 1 cool thing is taking the pictures in the game. They look damn_cool.

Wow, I thought I was the only one who didn't like this game. I've played multiplayer and single player and just can't get into it, it just bores me for some reason.

MasterofDVD 07-16-02 11:14 AM

Originally posted by e_hartnett

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And how long till Eternal Darkness gets reall good and in depth as far as the story?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does the story not have you hooked at all? You're not interested in seeing what happens next? Of course the story's not as deep as an RPG but it gives me and most of the other people around here a reason to keep moving through the game. I'm on 2nd time through the game right now and I think the story is actually better. Everything makes more sense and I'm picking up on things I missed.

Frankly I was far too nice the frst time about how I feel with this game. I'm not interested at all. Heck....I feel that GTA3 has more depth than this thing does. I'm only playing it with the faith that it will improve.

I do have to say it's great to play a Sonic game again. :D

Kellehair 07-16-02 11:44 AM

I don't really see how you could feel that way. The story spans over 2000 years of human history and includes real historical figures and events. Also the story involves over a dozen characters each with his or her own unique look, feel, abilities, and weapons. This game is like the definition of depth.

MasterofDVD 07-30-02 11:14 PM

I'm FINALLY getting my PS2 back today.

This kid rented a ton of stuff and it was a real fight to make the swap back.

I played more of Eternal Darkness and I liked it a bit more but I still am fine with getting 3/4 of the way thru it and giving it back without finishing it. He brought me in the RE guide and it made me want to not play the game at all. There was so much new stuff that it just seemed like a massive undertaking. But it was damn_fine looking game.

I still would get a GC as my 2nd system but I would steer clear of the game this kid has.