Reload this Page >

100th PCGamer, major disappointment?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-05-02, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I am admitedly not a PCGamer fan. Three years ago I came to the realization I hated the magazine and never bought one since, until tonight.

I saw the 100th issue at the grocery store and its promise of insight from the last 8 years. It was the CD version, so I could not flip through the pages, but figured after 8 years and 100 issues, they should have some interesting "look backs".

Wrong. This issue was horrible. Only 8 pages of real content on the last 8 years, and the same reviews, previews, etc. we have seen everywhere else. I bought it for the 100th Special and found nothing. I would figure after 8 years, considering VERY FEW magazines make it past the 1, 2 or 5 year mark, they would offer a little more and skip some of the same crap. Also, when did PCGamer get so... so... thin. It is tiny compared to what i remember.

Anyone else disappointed by this "special" 100th issue? I may be biased, but they should not have even tried.

Last edited by outer-edge; 07-05-02 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-06-02, 01:27 AM

I was also bummed out by this issue. It didn't have any interesting information (not like some of the aniversary issues of CGW) and it was soo short!! I have noticed that the PC gamer magazines have been getting smaller and smaller. Anyone remember how they were a few years ago... often they would frequently reach over 200 pages. Even if most of it was advertisements.. I think that the magazine was far better a few years ago.
Old 07-06-02, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why don't you write a letter to them and tell them.
Old 07-06-02, 07:39 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got a subscription to PCG, and although it does seem like the mag is getting thinner and thinner, it's still my favorite PC gaming mag, for some reason. The 100th issue wasn't necessarily a let-down for me, but it didn't rock my socks off, either.

I love their "100 best games ever" articles.
Old 07-08-02, 06:42 AM

i used to have a subscription back in '98-'99, i remember reading about sneak peaks on Warcraft III and Duke Nukem Forever...i haven't looked at another PC Gamer magazine since, but I do remember the mag being fairly thick. WC3 came out...now where's Duke Nukem Forever????!!!!
Old 07-08-02, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I wasn't all that disappointed, but then I don't have high expectations for PCGamer. I think they've improved a tiny little bit since PC Accelerator (my favorite magazine ever) died, but they still kinda suck. They are still the best PC Games magazine around. CGW continues to suck - they only like RPGs or something because they rarely cover anything else, plus their reviews are often so wrong. Could just be my opinion, but the disappointment you felt with picking up the latest PCGamer is the same feeling I have every time I give CGW a chance. All the other games magazines are written for children mostly and are 99% about consoles and 1% about PC games. I'm surprised it's such a shrinking market because video games are just getting cooler and better and such. E3 gave me the impression that PC gaming was still a big deal.
Old 07-08-02, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
This has been a poor magazine for years.
Old 07-08-02, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Mikey
I have noticed that the PC gamer magazines have been getting smaller and smaller. Anyone remember how they were a few years ago... often they would frequently reach over 200 pages.
I was paging through a bunch of old PCG at a thrift store on the weekend and some of the late year issues (with Xmas ads) were hovering around 500 pages!

These issues were probably from around 1997-1998.
Old 07-09-02, 01:19 AM

Take a look at Computer Games Magazine (what used to be Computer Games Strategy Plus). I used to get it and liked it a lot. It's thinner then the other mags, but it seems to have more content and its pretty well-written. Not really for the PCXL crowd I guess, but I enjoyed it.

I haven't read it in a year though (don't really care eough anymore to get a magazine), so it may have changed now.
Old 07-09-02, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok, quick question regarding this issue, what demos are on the CD? They covered it up so that you can't even tell. I was tempted to open the plastic in the store just to see what was on the disk, but I guess I'm too honest for that. So, anything worth-while on the disk? Thanks!

-CM-
Old 07-10-02, 01:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by C-Mart
Ok, quick question regarding this issue, what demos are on the CD? They covered it up so that you can't even tell. I was tempted to open the plastic in the store just to see what was on the disk, but I guess I'm too honest for that. So, anything worth-while on the disk? Thanks!

-CM-
This month on the CD:

The Sum of All Fears
THPS3
Sudden Strike 3
Cultures II

AND, the only thing I found worthwile with the WHOLE 100th issue:
New Dungeon Siege Multiplayer Map (Yesterhaven, low levels)