Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I am a Virtua Fighter 4 addict, I think I need help...

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 07-05-02, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up a PS2 last week just for this game, and in the span of a week I have played almost 500 fights in Kumite and reached 8th dan...dear God I can't stop, I am totally addicted, I am doing combos in my sleep.

Help me...

This game is so badass....
Old 07-05-02, 11:03 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You just need to buy another nice game for yourself.
That will do becourse you human are "NEW LOVER" am i right or RIGHT.So go on ,buy another one.....Final Fantasy 10 and Metal Gear Solid 2 is waiting....and REMENBER to get ORIGINAL copy.
Old 07-05-02, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ah yes - I was practicing some VF4 yesterday. A first-rank game from a first-rank developer. I think Dayneson is exactly right - you might want to try another game or two to break you of the VF habit.
Old 07-05-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Dayneson
You just need to buy another nice game for yourself.
That will do becourse you human are "NEW LOVER" am i right or RIGHT.So go on ,buy another one.....Final Fantasy 10 and Metal Gear Solid 2 is waiting....and REMENBER to get ORIGINAL copy.
Old 07-05-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have it, but I haven't played it much. I know it's a deep game that can potentially take up an insane amount of your time, so I've purposely put it on the shelf because I'm simply too busy to dedicate the amount of time it takes to master it. Hm, maybe I need to take a 3 month vacation.
Old 07-05-02, 12:36 PM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

Originally posted by Thunderball

hahaha
Old 07-05-02, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LethaL Nemesis
I have it, but I haven't played it much. I know it's a deep game that can potentially take up an insane amount of your time, so I've purposely put it on the shelf because I'm simply too busy to dedicate the amount of time it takes to master it. Hm, maybe I need to take a 3 month vacation.
So close to 400 wins...at 8th dan...must see the sun...must get food to survive...will wait one more fight...
Old 07-05-02, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by KnightLerxst

So close to 400 wins...at 8th dan...must see the sun...must get food to survive...will wait one more fight...
You need help, Knight. I'll be over there in a few mintues with a crowbar to pry the Dual Shock 2 from your hands. Then I'll take you outside for some fresh air and sunlight before taking you to the local Hooters. You need to get out, man!
Old 07-05-02, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LethaL Nemesis

You need help, Knight. I'll be over there in a few mintues with a crowbar to pry the Dual Shock 2 from your hands. Then I'll take you outside for some fresh air and sunlight before taking you to the local Hooters. You need to get out, man!
Actually I just got out, went to a festival with my friends fiance and my best freind...and I came back and played Virtua again.

Damnit! I play a Hero level Akira, kick his ass, then play an 8th dan and I can't friggin beat him...****!!!!!

I will make 9th dan...oh yes I will!!!
Old 07-05-02, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have this game for the PS2. I bought it a week after it was released. At first I thought the graphics really stunk, but then got used to it after a while. Then a few weeks ago I was at New Orleans for a convention, and I happened to walk into a video arcade on Royal St, just south of Bourbon St. They had the arcade version of VF4 there, and each game was only 25 cents. What can I say - after playing the arcade version for the first time, I realized my initial reaction to the PS2 version's graphics were right. The arcade graphics are very beautiful. The PS2 graphics... They stink. They really, REALLY stink. The developers either did a horrible job porting the game, or they should never have released it on the PS2 - maybe Xbox instead.

Now I don't think I'll ever play my PS2 version again.
Old 07-05-02, 10:47 PM
Retired

Who cares if the graphics stink as long as the game is fun to play?

Attitudes like this are why there are so many games that have great graphics that don't deliver in the gameplay department like the DOA series.
Old 07-06-02, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Joshic
I have this game for the PS2. I bought it a week after it was released. At first I thought the graphics really stunk, but then got used to it after a while. Then a few weeks ago I was at New Orleans for a convention, and I happened to walk into a video arcade on Royal St, just south of Bourbon St. They had the arcade version of VF4 there, and each game was only 25 cents. What can I say - after playing the arcade version for the first time, I realized my initial reaction to the PS2 version's graphics were right. The arcade graphics are very beautiful. The PS2 graphics... They stink. They really, REALLY stink. The developers either did a horrible job porting the game, or they should never have released it on the PS2 - maybe Xbox instead.

Now I don't think I'll ever play my PS2 version again.
Well I have been playing the series since the first incarnation, Christ I played games when your character was a friggin yellow block, the graphics look sweet to me, hell I still dig the graphics on Virtua 2.
Old 07-06-02, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joshhinkle
like the DOA series.
Old 07-06-02, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cubanx

I have the Japanese DOA2 for DC, and the graphics are wonderful, the chicks look bouncy and hot, but you can button mash and just destroy someone, it is not a very in depth game.
Old 07-06-02, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll take VF4's graphics and gameplay anytime over DOA3. After 20 minutes, DOA3 was just boring to me. Definately not a single player game.
Old 07-07-02, 12:22 AM
Retired

Yep, as far as depth goes, Virtua Fighter 4 is like a great lake, and DOA3 is a mud puddle.
Old 07-09-02, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Champion rank, 470 - 170 record...bought NFL2k2 and Quake as a sorbet to clear the pallet...still craving...Virtua...Fighter...

Is there a Betty Ford Clinic for video game abuse?
Old 07-09-02, 12:57 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by joshhinkle
Yep, as far as depth goes, Virtua Fighter 4 is like a great lake, and DOA3 is a mud puddle.

How many hours have you logged in on DOA3? That's an unfair and biased comment if it's under 10 or so.

DOA3 has nothing on Super Button Mash Bros. Melee anyway.
Old 07-09-02, 01:04 AM
Retired

Didn't play DOA3 very much, played the heck out of DOA2 on the dreamcast and 3 is more or less the same, just much better looking.

Comparing it to SSBM is stupid. Just you're even though I own all three systems I'm "green and black through and through crap."

SSBM isn't supposed to be a normal figher. It's a party game. It's not meant to be deep, as it isn't a true, traditional fighting game.

DOA3 is competing with the likes of Soul Calibur, Tekken, VF4 etc., all of which have deeper gameplay engines and more than one single player mode.

The DOA series isn't terrible, but unless you're a casual fighting game fan, it doesn't last very long. It's good to keep around if you have friends that like to play fighting games, but aren't huge fans, as it's easy to pick up and play.

But as a single player game (or multiplayer for hardcore fighting games) it's very lacking IMO.
Old 07-09-02, 01:11 AM
Mod Emeritus

SSBM isn't supposed to be a normal figher. It's a party game. It's not meant to be deep, as it isn't a true, traditional fighting game.
That's how I see DOA3. It doesn't take itself seriously but it's a great party game with a semi-deep fighting system if you take the time to learn it.
Old 07-09-02, 01:16 AM
Retired

As I said, the DOA series does work in that regard. Just in this thread it was being compared to VF4, which is a much deeper game.

But DOA3 is supposed to be a serious figher, not a party game like SSBM, so that's why I don't compare it with that game, but rather with Tekken, Soul Calibur and other 3-d fighters.

As I said, it's not horrible, just not my cup of tea. If I'm going to play a realistic 3-d fighter, it needs to have more depth in the gameplay, and more than one single player mode.

BTW, I'm not a huge SSBM fan. It's a fun game, but it's not a great fighting game. Basically just something to kill time with friends, and waste time getting trophies for nostalgia's sake if you're an old school nintendo fan.
Old 07-09-02, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually some people complain about Virtua being too deep. My problem with fighting games is when you learn the game in and out, and get beat by a button masher.

It happens rarely in Virtua, but it does happen.
Old 07-10-02, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Adept, 517-176...74%

I almost had three orbs but that cheap ass Lei Fei beat me...god I hate fighting that bald nutjob...