Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metroid Prime only 7 hours long?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Metroid Prime only 7 hours long?!

I saw this in the Q&A over at IGN. ANyone else know anything about this?
Old 07-03-02, 01:17 PM
zig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard that.. and it doesn't bother me. Most single player FPS games aren't very long. Hopefully 7 hours is if you don't do a lot of the unnecessary adventuring in the game. But still, Super Metroid was less than 7 hours, and that's widely regarded as classic, no?
Old 07-03-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

People can beat Super metroid in just a couple of hours.
Old 07-03-02, 01:41 PM
Retired

I saw that as well. It was a rumor though and they mentioned that the people at Retro disputed the number and said that the actual play time hasn't been figured out yet.

Anyway, 7 hours is probably how long it would take for someone that new exactly what to do at every point of the game. Like people playing through for a second or first time, or losers playing through the first time with a guide in their laps.

Like others say, most console first person shooters take less than 7 hours to beat if you know how to beat each level, and Super Metroid can be completed in a couple of hours after you figured everything out. There was a better ending for beating it in under 3 hours if I remember correctly.

However, it was a fairly long game the first time through, if you didn't use a faq or guide. Probably around 20 hours. I imagine Metroid Prime will be the same.
Old 07-03-02, 01:59 PM

Yes, this length does not concern me. Even if it IS only 7 hours long, that's the right length for a Metroid game. And it's wonderful. I'd have to have it anyway.
Old 07-03-02, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I find this a little odd. People complained to no end about how short Pikmin was and Luigi...but don;t bat an eye when Metroid is 'rumored' to be short. Interesting....

But I agree, it's probably 7 hours for people who are on their 2nd time or guide book (L)users
Old 07-03-02, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I find this a little odd. People complained to no end about how short Pikmin was and Luigi...but don;t bat an eye when Metroid is 'rumored' to be short. Interesting....
I think a lot of people who complained about Pikmin and LM being short are people who didn't play the games. If you think about it, 12 hours is a damn long time. I didn't want either game to end but I certainly wouldn't want to play either for 30 hours. Plus, seeing as how both games are very unique, and fun, there's definitely reason to play them again. Metroid Prime, just as Super Metroid before it, will be the same way IMO.
Old 07-03-02, 03:19 PM
zig

Well, I never complained about those other games being too short. I'd rather play a high quality shorter game than a mediocre long game. Of course I'd rather play a high quality long game above either
Old 07-03-02, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Besides, it'll probably have high replay value.
Old 07-03-02, 03:50 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Liver&Onions

But I agree, it's probably 7 hours for people who are on their 2nd time or guide book (L)users
Well, I never complained about those, but I will definitely be batting my eyes if Metroid Prime is only 7-10 hours the first time through without using a guide.

However, I seriously doubt that's the case. As I said above Super Metroid took me around 20 hours to complete the first time, but after you know what to do (or cheat with a guide) you can get through in under three hours if your really good.

I'm pretty confident Metroid Prime will be the same way.

If not I'll just rent it and spend my $50 elsewhere.
Old 07-05-02, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, Super Mario Brothers for the NES was an amazing game and THE all-time classic and I've beat it in 5 minutes.

Replayability is worth a lot...
Old 07-05-02, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I dont see what the big deal is about this game. I thought the original metroids were pretty lame themselves, and this looks like another "lets-make-this-old-game-3d-and-it-will-be-better" game. It doesnt even look like an interesting FPS to me. I guess after ruining Zelda (N64 games were awful, long live the SNES and 2d Games), they need to move onto another franchise

I know I'll take some heat for this, but perhaps someone will agree with me.
Old 07-05-02, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by discostu1337
I dont see what the big deal is about this game. I thought the original metroids were pretty lame themselves, and this looks like another "lets-make-this-old-game-3d-and-it-will-be-better" game. It doesnt even look like an interesting FPS to me. I guess after ruining Zelda (N64 games were awful, long live the SNES and 2d Games), they need to move onto another franchise

I know I'll take some heat for this, but perhaps someone will agree with me.
Why doesn't it look like an interesting FPS to you?

You raise a valid discussion point, but don't really discuss it...
Old 07-05-02, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Im running late but I will reply quickly. For all the movies and screens Ive seen, it just looks kind of boring, everything looks the same. And I really hate that the whole game is obscured and viewed through that helmet.
Who knows, I may play it someday and like it
Old 07-05-02, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by discostu1337
Considering most people would disagree with every part of this statement, it's not surprising you don't see what the "big deal" is.
Old 07-05-02, 01:11 PM
zig

What makes Metroid Prime different from another FPS?

The big one is it's more about adventuring than shooting everything that moves(although you do that too). You can roll into a ball to fit into small places. There are power-ups and upgrades instead of finding a new weapon every other level.

Oh, and I like the helmet. It's just a creative way to do the regular boring HUD in all other FPS games. And it helps immerse you into the game, imo.