Reload this Page >

Better Dvd Player: Xbox or PS2 ?!?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-30-02, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have both an Xbox, and a PS2, as well as a stand-alone dvd player, and was thinking about being a nice guy and giving my stand-alone player to my parents.

In your opinion, can the Xbox or PS2 compete with a stand-alone player, and if so, which do you think is the better at playing dvds.

I should note, that my dvd player is a Panasonic model DVD-A112, about 4 years old, NOT progressive scan, pretty much a basic unit, etc, (but that doesn't really matter, since I just have a conventional 27" tv that doesn't even have S-video inputs.)

So, have any of you seen or heard and noticeable picture or sound quality issues with the Xbox or PS2 systems, or any specific movies that might have problems being played on either system? I have never had any playback problems (freezing, etc) with my Panasonic on my 100+ dvds, and I want to be quite sure that I am not going to run into any problems if I switch to using one of my consoles. (I don't want to have to go back to my parents and take back something I've just given them).

BTW, if I do this, I am leaning towards the PS2, since I like the remote control for that one better, unless, of course, one of you can convice me that the Xbox or my existing Panasonic should be what I keep.

Thanks for any advice.
Old 06-30-02, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd say that it depends on how picky you are. The output of the XBox and PS2 is about what a cheap player produces. If you have a decent standalone, then it may produce a brighter and crisper picture. As far as which is better, IGN did a comparison and much to my suprise chose the PS2. Just make sure you buy the official Sony remote as it is the best designed of them all and includes driver updates if you have an older version of the DVD player app on the machine(although if you do, the new player takes up 2.2mb on a memory card).
Old 06-30-02, 05:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

I'd say the Xbox will be as good if not better than your Panny.

Dave: I wouldn't go by IGN for a home theater equipment review, that's a bit out of their realm. I have an Xbox and a PS2 and I prefer the Xbox by quite a bit for DVD.

Using an Avia calibrated Wega as my TV. Oh yeah the Xbox chews up layer changes on DVDs. You won't even notice them.

Here's an idea though, if you get the Xbox DVD kit you could always use the PS2 as a backup DVD player since it doesn't require a remote.
Old 06-30-02, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dfbennett
I'd say that it depends on how picky you are. The output of the XBox and PS2 is about what a cheap player produces. If you have a decent standalone, then it may produce a brighter and crisper picture. As far as which is better, IGN did a comparison and much to my suprise chose the PS2. Just make sure you buy the official Sony remote as it is the best designed of them all and includes driver updates if you have an older version of the DVD player app on the machine(although if you do, the new player takes up 2.2mb on a memory card).
I thought I remembered reading that the newer PS2s (the ones on the shelves now) already had the new drivers? I could be wrong (I've used my PS2 as a DVD player exactly once...) but I'm pretty sure I saw that somewhere.
Old 06-30-02, 05:45 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by e_hartnett

I thought I remembered reading that the newer PS2s (the ones on the shelves now) already had the new drivers? I could be wrong (I've used my PS2 as a DVD player exactly once...) but I'm pretty sure I saw that somewhere.
Yup they do.
Old 06-30-02, 05:52 PM

My reason for leaning towards the PS2 for Dvd playback (over xbox) was primarily due to the remote. I think the PS2 one looks good, cool, and compact, while the xbox one seems too long, lots of empty space, and the ugly green buttons

But, if one system is definately superior in terms of dvd playback quality, I might be able to overlook an ugly remote.

Any more opinions? (Thanks to those who already posted).
Old 06-30-02, 06:27 PM
zig

The PS2 definitely has the better remote, in terms of function and looks. But if you have a crappy TV.. I don't think you'll notice a difference in playback quality.
Old 06-30-02, 06:39 PM

My PS2 (which is only about a month old) shows the Dvd Player Version to be "2.10U". I'm guessing that this is the "new" version, can anyone verify this?

Thanks.

edit -- nevermind, I looked around, and it looks like I do have the new version, so I guess I won't have to install the update onto a memory card (whew!)

Last edited by TheMadMonk; 06-30-02 at 06:57 PM.
Old 06-30-02, 07:15 PM

If you are a video purist, then the Xbox dvd player wins. The color matches the NTSC standard (e.g. it looks the way it was intended to look). The PS2 darkens the picture and saturates the colors, so it may "look better" but its not what the director intended. More importantly, I haven't had a problem playing dvds on my xbox, but when I used my PS2 it would have a lot of problems playing dvds.. although, most of those problems were solved if I took a 12" desk fan and had it blow on the PS2 =P. Other people have had problems with dvds not playing at all, but they work for me as long as I use the fan. Also, since I use the xbox component video output, the choice was clear for me.
Old 06-30-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by TheMadMonk
My reason for leaning towards the PS2 for Dvd playback (over xbox) was primarily due to the remote. I think the PS2 one looks good, cool, and compact, while the xbox one seems too long, lots of empty space, and the ugly green buttons

But, if one system is definately superior in terms of dvd playback quality, I might be able to overlook an ugly remote.

Any more opinions? (Thanks to those who already posted).
since you have both why worry

give the dvd player to your parents and use the PS2 as your primary since you like the remote better. you have the Xbox as a backup in case you ever run into a dvd that gives you any playback issues.

Frankly I would be shocked that Sony which makes some of the best dvd players would not equal the XBox in playback. I have not seen anything from anyone that has shown that the XBox has better playback on Dvd's.
Old 06-30-02, 07:29 PM
Retired

Another thing to consider is whether you want to put the extra wear and tear on your PS2 or X-box.

It shouldn't make a huge difference, but if you watch a lot of movies, they will wear more than just playing games.

To get on Topic I have a PS2 with the new drivers, and DVDs don't look as good on my 27" Wega as they do when played in my stand alone Toshiba DVD Player.
Old 06-30-02, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the IGN Insider head to head article, they put up side by side picture comparisons (Star Wars Episode I), and the PS2 image looked superior. The Xbox DVD image had a very washed out look compared to the PS2 image.

For those who are IGN Insiders, here is the article:

PS2 vs. XBOX: DVD Head-to-Head
Old 06-30-02, 11:45 PM
Banned

From what I have heard, XBox is the better DVD player as the PS2 scratches DVDs.

I dunno how bad the problem is, but I know my friends PS2 ripped up one of my Twin Peaks DVDs pretty bad when we watched it over at his place. Maybe its the orientation of the Ps2, also?

As for as Xbox vs PS2, Xbox has a much quieter drive than the PS2, and as far as picture, from what I have heard, besides IGN, everyone else says its better on XBox.

I'd imagine this would only be more true if you use the better connection methods for Xbox, or have an "Xbox-Ready" TV.

-Jim
Old 07-01-02, 12:23 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by CreatureX
In the IGN Insider head to head article, they put up side by side picture comparisons (Star Wars Episode I), and the PS2 image looked superior. The Xbox DVD image had a very washed out look compared to the PS2 image.

For those who are IGN Insiders, here is the article:

PS2 vs. XBOX: DVD Head-to-Head
I simply don't trust IGN for HT gear. I hardly trust them for gaming reviews as it is.

Using screen caps to show superiority? I don't think that proves anything.

Again, I have both systems and no reason to favor one over the other. I consider myself unbiased. I have looked at this carefully and the Xbox is definitely superior.

Monk: get yourself the Xbox DVD kit and decide for yourself, it's the only way you can completely know for sure. I recommend an Avia calibration though for true results.
Old 07-01-02, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by YujiNaka
From what I have heard, XBox is the better DVD player as the PS2 scratches DVDs.

I dunno how bad the problem is, but I know my friends PS2 ripped up one of my Twin Peaks DVDs pretty bad when we watched it over at his place. Maybe its the orientation of the Ps2, also?
Disc drives were meant to spin flat. Propping a PS2 vertically will not just scratch up DVDs... this has been a pretty widely reported problem.
Old 07-01-02, 01:53 AM

I think this is a non issue for you TheMadMonk, I also use a 27" TV (its Sony Trinitron) and can't notice a difference between a DVD played on the PS2 or a real DVD player. With a TV this size the difference between DVD players is not noticible. Since you have both just use the one you like the best, or better yet test it out for yourself and see which one you like better.
Old 07-01-02, 04:37 AM

It's been mentioned in other threads so I figured I bring it up here. The Xbox can convert region free PAL DVDs to NTSC. For those who want to import a few titles can now do so. It doesn't beat a region free player but it does open up your possiblities for some foreign DVD releases.
Old 07-01-02, 04:57 AM

I gave my parents my Harman/Kardon DVD50 player after seeing that layer changes are non-existent and I can never tell when they occur on my Xbox. As a DVD purist, I can say that the Xbox is definately the best player of the consoles and has the best remote by far.

I wondered how the Xbox doesn't suffer from layer changes? Does it write to the Hard Drive and the Hard Drive plays the movie? I can hear it rev up and down while the movie is playing if I mute the surround sound.

Overall I'm very pleased with it.
Old 07-01-02, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've never had any problems with either, although I haven't been using the Xbox for long.

Each remote has advantages. The PS2 remote has everything, but it can be hard to find buttons in the dark. The Xbox remote is simpler and easier to use in the dark.

My complaints about the Xbox remote: the batteries are rattling. It feels very cheap. Also, there's no way to determine how much time is left on the disc!
Old 07-01-02, 11:37 AM

I find the features of the Xbox DVD superior to the PS2 version. I have always had a problem going "back" chapters on my ps2 (keeps starting at the beginning of the current chapter), also the Xbox has faster x speeds for fast forward and reverse scan. Also Xbox has a zoom function that PS2 does not have (used little), finally the slo-mo on the xbox is clumsier, as is the remote.

Additionally, I have only one optical input on my reciever and given that many more xbox games than ps2 use it (as do flicks) I devoted that to my xbox.

The fact that I have a warratee on the Xbox sealed the deal, but after using my PS2 as my primary player (prior to getting an xbox) I prefer the Xbox overall.
Old 07-01-02, 02:18 PM

I didn't think there was any debate about this still. Just about everybody who owns both consoles picks Xbox's DVD playback as superior. And it's been that way since day one.
Old 07-01-02, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

xbox
Old 07-01-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

PS2
Old 07-01-02, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From the sounds of it, either one will probably work just fine for your needs.
Old 07-01-02, 09:20 PM

I used my PS2 as my bedroom player when I bought it at launch and found it to be decent, and finally having an "official" remote made it much better. However, I got my XBox early this year and I have not used the PS2 to play a DVD since. Sure, the controller isn't as pretty, but most of the buttons have unique shapes/imprints and some of those ugly green buttons even glow in the dark, making it much easier to use without having to turn on a lamp, which is what I had to do until finally learning the PS2's button setup. Use your XBox!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.