Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Any Gamecube owners disappointed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-02, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any Gamecube owners disappointed?

I was disappointed in this game system for the longest time.
No good games at all coming, or out.(save Smash Bros and SMB).
Lately however, the 'Cube is making a HUGE comeback in my book.

The Wavebird is quite possibly the greatest controller ever. It has no rumble, but that's not too shabby. I can live w/o rumble, if I don't have to deal with wires across my already cramped living room.

WMX8 is one of the finer wrestling games on the next gen consoles. I can't wait to see the next few versions of it.

Mario, Metroid, and Link are coming...SOON!

Resident Evil is on the Cube. Nuff Said.

Eternal Darkness(haven't played this yet, planning on it soon).

Lots of great stuff coming, typical NoA system, slow early, GREAT later.
Old 06-30-02, 10:09 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The "slow early, great later" has been the case with a lot of systems. PS2 for one. You just can't expect 10 AAA titles to come out on launch day.
Old 06-30-02, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was never disappointed in the Cube. It has actually exceeded my expectations. It's been out what, 7 and a half months? I already have over a dozen games with a bunch more must buys on the way. Sure, some of the games that are out right now are kinda short, but that's the way the game industry is going right now. IMO almost every game on the PS2 is a rental only type game. In contrast, I want to play through a lot of my Cube games again, I just haven't had the time.

The only area that hasn't been too great is the sports department. I really wish Tiger Woods and some other sports games were on the Cube. I'm pretty sure EA's full slate of sports games will apear on the Cube next year though.

I think I've rabled enough for now. Maybe I'll make another post later.
Old 06-30-02, 10:35 AM
Retired

I've never been dissappointed with it. At launch Rogue Leader, Super Monkey Ball and Madden 2002 where great. Wave Race was fun while it lasted. Tony Hawk 3 was ok, but I was dissapointed with it because I'm burnt out on the series and it was just more of the same.

A month after launch, Super Smash Bros: Melee came out. I got it for X-mas and still play it a few times a week trying to get trophies. Pikmin came out the same day, but I haven't got a chance to try it yet.

Spring was slow for all systems. The gamecube did get two excellent basketball games in NBA Street and NBA2K2.

Late spring brought the amazing Resident Evil remake, that featured almost an entirely new game and the best graphics seen to date on a console.

And now Eternal Darkenss has came out, and is far and away the best Gamecube game yet, and the best game I've played on any of the next-gen systems.

The future looks even brighter with Mario, Star Fox Adventures, Metroid and RE 0 coming exclusively to the cube between now and November, with a bunch of interesting looking multiplatform games like Timesplitters 2 and Turok Evolution on the way as well.

Personally I don't see how anyone other than those that just don't care for Nintendo games, and those oddballs that can't stand cartoony graphics and have to have blood, tits, gore, a Mature logo on the front of the game, etc in order to enjoy a game, could be dissappointed with the Gamecube.

The lineup is comparable to the X-boxes in terms of great games available. Personal tastes will decide whick line-up one likes better. And the Gamecube (and Xbox) has many more good games than the PS2 did at this point in it's life span.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 06-30-02 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-30-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Not dissapointed at all. I expected a wait for the big AAA titles. I enjoyed the heck out of Luigi's Mansion, Tony Hawk 3, and Wave Race. I also played Smash Bros and Star Wars a bit.

With Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness out now it is definitely a great console to own.

As far as the future, with the exception of Vice City and Kingdom Hearts all of the games I am really looking forward to are Game Cube games.
Old 06-30-02, 10:51 AM
zig

Er... I would've typed out a big long thing, but joshhinkle already said everything I would've.. and more. So I'll just say No.
Old 06-30-02, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

to you guys

I love my Cube as well, just seeing if anyone else was still skeptical of it
Old 06-30-02, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just bought my Cube this month due to one game and two future releases.....

Resident Evil
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 4

Outside of these titles.......would like to check out Rogue Squadron and Eternal Darkness.

Resident Evil was the big draw for me....I see the Cube going the way of the 64 with the lack of titles both in terms of quality and numbers. Hope I am wrong......
Old 06-30-02, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I see the Cube going the way of the 64 with the lack of titles both in terms of quality and numbers.
A Nintendo system never has nad never will lack quality titles.
Old 06-30-02, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by djones6746
Just bought my Cube this month due to one game and two future releases.....

Resident Evil
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 4

Outside of these titles.......would like to check out Rogue Squadron and Eternal Darkness.

Resident Evil was the big draw for me....I see the Cube going the way of the 64 with the lack of titles both in terms of quality and numbers. Hope I am wrong......
Ditto, though I bought my Gamecube at launch. I played Luigi's Mansion until I beat it (a few days), Super Monkey Ball for a few weeks (stil every once in a while), Rogue Leader for a couple weeks, and Waverace for a couple weeks. Then it sat. Useless to me while I played GTA3 and Halo and Oddworld and FFX and Ico and SSX Tricky (on PS2) and TH3 (on PS2).

Then, Super Smash Brothers: Melee came out, and I played it for about 2 weeks, and grew a bit tired of it. Then my GC did nothing yet again for months. I seriously considered selling it, but the Resident Evil series kept me hopeful.

I'm now playing WMX8 and Eternal Darkness thanks to Blockbuster's little video game deal, and while ED has been fun so far, I don't really see myself playing it over and over like I do the RE titles (I am only in the third chapter, so maybe that will change).

To answer to original question, yes I am disappointed, and am not as hopeful as I was about the PS2 or X-Box at this point. Checking the EB release date, these are the only games I'm looking forward to:

Star fox (I'll give it a chance, but I have a feeling it'll play just like any other 3D platformer)
Resident Evil 2 (my favorite in the series)
Resident Evil 0
Metriod Prime (it may not be a "real" Metriod game, but looks to be a cool FPS)
The Legend of Zelda (it looks to play more like a classic Zelda game than the N64 versions, so I'll give it a chance)

That's a whopping five titles, which would bring my GC title game collection up to a whopping eight (I've sold a couple since the original purchase). I've said it before, and I'll say it again, darn that Resident Evil for making me keep this infernal console!

Originally posted by Kellehair

A Nintendo system never has nad never will lack quality titles.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Old 06-30-02, 01:31 PM

I guess I've been a little disappointed so far but I admit that I suspected all along that it would be similar to my experience with owning the N64. There were some great games for the N64 and I didn't regret owning it or the Gamecube. However, I'm glad I own the other consoles to keep me busy during the long droughts. I'm not a fan of the Resident Evil control scheme so that rules out those games. I basically bought the cube for the big 3. If those turn out to be as good as expected, I will be happy with my purchase.
Old 06-30-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not disappointed at all. I'm not a fan of the pump-out-as-many-titles-as-you-can ideology some consoles seem to subscribe to. Nintendo releases fewer games but they are, on average, more quality.

So far, I own Super Smash Bros, Super Monkey Ball, Resident Evil, and Fifa 2002. Amazing how these few games keep me busy; they have so much replay value. I played Eternal Darkness last night and will be getting it soon. I also just rented Bomberman Generation and it is a VERY fun game that seems to have gone overlooked by most. Hopefully, I'll pick up Lost Kingdoms, GCN's first rpg, soon as it looks promising.

It's just amazing how Nintendo's heavyweights haven't even been released. Can't wait to get my hands on Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Zelda, Starfox Adventures, RE0, etc. I'm even looking forward to smaller titles like Super Monkey Ball 2 and in the probably distant future, we'll see inevitably awesome games like Mario Kart, etc.
Old 06-30-02, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Quality isn't a subject open to opinion.
Old 06-30-02, 03:50 PM
Banned

I WAS dissapointed with the Cube up until the recent E3 (which I'm sure turned many heads including mine). The Cube came out with Luigi's Mansion and Rogue Leader, neither interesting me whatsoever. Even when SSMB came out, I didn't care. I had barely played the original Smash Bros. at all. Every other game I liked (NBA 2K2, NBA Street, Tony Hawk 3, SSX Tricky) was not exclusive to Nintendo, so I held out for a while.

After finally (yes, I was late) getting into Smash Bros on the N64, I started paying attention to the Cube version and soon found myself interested. As E3 rolled around and I saw the previews of NBA 2K3, Madden 2003, NFL 2K3, NHL 2K3, Mario, Zelda, Metroid etc. I knew I had to have it. And I finally was impressed.

Didn't want to rant too much, but I don't think I could ever be dissapointed with a Nintendo system in the future....except for the Virtual Boy thing, they ALWAYS make great, classic games and innovate like no other (the WaveBird has made it clear every console in the future will have wireless controllers). And now that they have the 3rd party support (sports titles) I like, I'm hooked. I've had the Cube for a 3 weeks now and I still am loving every second of the 3 games I own. Can't wait for Mario...
Old 06-30-02, 04:15 PM
Retired

Very true. Every Nintendo system has had many games that sold millions of copies and got great reviews.

People like Cartman may personally have not liked them, but that doesn't mean they aren't quality games.

For example, I personally hate Morrowind as the combat system sucks and I hate open-ended games.

But I can't say it's not a high quality games. It's very well done and a great game for it's genre. It's just doesn't appeal to me.
Old 06-30-02, 05:04 PM

Then what's the point of having an opinion?

I'm bored of my Gamecube.

I'll just have to keep waiting for the "AAA" games. When's that? August, November and next year? ... Cool.
Old 06-30-02, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got my cube in late May. The game that sealed the deal was Resident Evil. I've always enjoyed the series and have played through every title (with the exception of Nemesis which I just couldn't get into). I also picked up Rogue Leader. At first, I hated Rogue Leader. I kept failing missions. Then I realized there were easier ways to complete the missions and suddenly the game got alot more fun. I realized I just wasn't going about the missions right. Now I really enjoy the game. Resident Evil is spectacular. Played through it with Jill and then finished up Code Veronica on the PS2. Now I'm going through as Chris. There was a while there while my Cube was not getting played that often. I rented Monkey Ball and liked it but I defintely don't think I'd want to buy it. So I had two cube games for a long time and my PS2 was getting more attention. With the release of ED, it's been the other way around. I've been playing ED and Rogue Leader alot lately along with some GTA3 on the PS2. The one thing that gets me is that the memory card 251 being released now rather than when I bought the system. I've only got saves from 4 games on my card and the thing only has 14 blocks free! Looks like I'll have to shell out another 20 bucks for the 251. With Metroid, RE 0, RE 4, Zelda and some other titles coming out, I'm glad I've got the cube. However, I'm glad I still have my PS2 as I really want to get GTA Vice City, The Getaway, and a few other PS2 exclusives. The N64 never really did it for me even in its prime but the Cube is already impressing me very early into its life.
On a side note, I thought I would really hate the cube controller(I was never a fan of the N64 conroller for the record). Now I really love it. I think I prefer it to the Dual Shock. It's definitely better than the XBox controller IMHO and a bit better than the S contoller. I thought the controller was going to be a big problem for me but I really like the way it feels.
Old 06-30-02, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Got mine on the launch day. Never dissapointed. I have Rogue, Resident Evil, Legends of Wrestling, Madden 2002, Agent Under Fire, Home Run King, and Wrestlemania. (I had Batman and NHL Hitz but I traded them for RE)

Fun system, good titles. Wrestlemania is actually one of the best American Wrestling games in awhile. Smackdown has become a sick button mashing bastard step child of Toukon Retsudan.

RE, was a blast and had me addicted for awhile.

Bond is a great shooter based on the Quake III engine and is more fun than Goldeneye in multiplayer.

It is a fun system with a bright future.
Old 06-30-02, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That depends on your definition of quality. If your pure definition is "well made", then you could argue that no system in the history of video games was lacking "quality" titles (except maybe the Virtual Boy). In that case, the "fun factor" would only be a part of a whole grade. If a dev team spent 5 years making a beautiful game that simulated the mowing of a lawn perfectly, had advanced algorithms to make the grass sway and fly with such realism to make Hank Hill drool with envy, it would still have to be called quality. I consider "quality" titles to be ones I find fun to play, and as such, to me, the N64 and Gamecube (so far) are lacking quality titles (10 games for the N64 in it's lifetime, and three for the Gamecube so far). It is very much subject to opinion.
Old 06-30-02, 07:05 PM
Retired

Quality does mean well made games. If someone says "thats a quality car" they mean it's well made in every facet and works great.

If a game gets stellar reviews, accomplishes most everything it should for the type of game it is intended to be, then it is a qualit game, regardless of whether I or anyone personally finds it not fun to play.

Games you find fun to play are just that and nothing more. Same with ones you don't like. Going any further than that is putting too much stock in your own opinion.

Saying a game isn't a quality game just because you personally don't find it fun to play is a very elitist thing to do.

Like I said, I think Morrowind sucks. It's slow, boring and I hate open ended games.

However, it's gotten stellar reviews most places and many people love it. Why? Because it's a quality game. It does everything it should for the type of game it is, and is technically brilliant. It just isn't my cup of tea. I'm not egotisitcal or elitist enough to say it isn't a quality game, I just say that I don't like it.

The same can be said for whole genres. I absolutely hate RTS games. Does that mean none of them are quality games? No way. They just don't appeal to me.

Get the drift?

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 07-01-02 at 12:31 PM.
Old 06-30-02, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Speaking of Agent Under Fire, I've got the PS2 version and I am considering selling it and picking up the Cube version. How are the controls on the cube version? I had no problems with the controls on the PS2 but many of my friend's hail from the Goldeneye school of shooters and couldn't adjust to any of the setups or the Dual Shock 2 at all. Also, I hear it doesn't work with third party controllers but what about extension cords? I've got first party controllers but I've also got an extension cord from Mad Catz and one from Interact. Will these not work with AUF? Thanks for any info.
Old 06-30-02, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The cool thing about the set up for Agent Under Fire for GC is the left analog is higher than the right. This just feels "right" in my opinion. The default setup is very similar to Goldeneye, with the left causing you to move forward, back, and turn, while the right is like the c buttons on the n64 pad, except it is a stick instead that causes you to look up, down, strafe.
Old 06-30-02, 09:12 PM
Suspended Pending Valid Email

i was never, ever disappointed. i knew what was coming.

you just have to be patient

and could somebody please point out to me some the amazing AAA titles that are apparently being constantly pumped out for PS2 and XBox?

I think nintendo is being held to a higher standard here.

Last edited by enthused; 06-30-02 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-30-02, 09:33 PM
Retired

I agree. The X-box and Gamecube have pretty much the same amount of AAA quality titles, and both have more than the PS2 did at this point in it's lifespan.
Old 06-30-02, 09:41 PM

Originally posted by joshhinkle

If a game gets stellar reviews, accomplishes most everything it should for the type of game it is intended to be, then it is a qualit game, regardless of whether I or anyone personally finds it not fun to play.

Games you find fun to play are just that and nothing more. Same with ones you don't like. Going any further than that is putting too much stock in your own opinion.

Saying a game isn't a quality game just because you personally don't find it fun to play is a very elitist thing to do.
I'm sorry but I can't resist. Are you really trying to argue that whether a game qualifies as "quality" is not dependant on if it is fun? What's the point of games if not to provide fun? They certainly aren't very educational. On the one hand, you state that a game must be considered "quality" if it gets good reviews but then you turn around and say that one or even several persons opinions are not valid in deciding whether a game is "quality" or not. So, I must ask: What do you think a game review is? It's one person's opinion about the quality of a game. How is that any different? Game content is subjective and open to opinion. Rating game content is not a hard science. You cannot scientifically prove that there are many "quality" games on the Gamecube. It is only your opinion.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.