Reload this Page >

So, who's got Wipeout Fusion?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-26-02, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I picked this up on Saturday and honestly, I'm still underwhelmed. However, my opinion of the game rises a bit each time I play it. I'm hoping that once I finish MOH Frontline and can really get into it, I'll love it.
Old 06-26-02, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So, who's got Wipeout Fusion?

Originally posted by Gdrlv
I picked this up on Saturday and honestly, I'm still underwhelmed. However, my opinion of the game rises a bit each time I play it. I'm hoping that once I finish MOH Frontline and can really get into it, I'll love it.
How's the music vs. older versions? I really liked the tunes on Wipeout XL and Wipeout 3

I have a feeling it won't have as big of an impact on me as when I got into playing Wipeout XL.
Old 06-26-02, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Re: Re: So, who's got Wipeout Fusion?

Originally posted by happypants

How's the music vs. older versions? I really liked the tunes on Wipeout XL and Wipeout 3

I have a feeling it won't have as big of an impact on me as when I got into playing Wipeout XL.
The music's not bad. I remember that it's got tracks from BT and Future Sound of London. Can't remember any more of the artists off the top of my head though.

Also, it won't make quite as big an impact as XL did (at least it didn't on me).
Old 06-26-02, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
XL is still the best, but Fusion is MUCH better than 3. The "lines" are back for tracks, and they give bonus's for "perfect" laps. You get to upgrade your ships, and there are two pilots for each team. The later circuits really have the speed that XL had and 3 was severely lacking (IMO). I'm loving it with a few exceptions:

1) I don't like how the screen shakes when you get bumped.
2) Some collision detection is funky. There are times when I have flown straight through a wall into the abyss (getting a full under-view of the level much like when you "no clip" in a FPS and fly up or down).
3) At times when you fall off the track, it misinterprets your previous position. I've been in 1st, fallen off the track, and am now half the track behind where I was due to the game thinking I had fallen off at that point (which was below where I had fallen off).
4) For some reason the surround sound doesn't seem as good as XL. Very odd, that.
Old 06-26-02, 11:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XL Honeslty is my fav ps1 game. i sold my copy of xl a while back and bought anotha one off ebay finally realizing my dumbness. Got wipeout fusion first day it was out for 45 bucks. music in xl was the best. Another thing i realize in fusion is the wide turns that xl had many off where as you would really need to use the airbrakes to do some tight turns where as fusion is more straightforward. All in all its worth a buy and gets better as you go along due to the fact you buy upgrades such a speed , shield, etc.. Lets say xl was a 100 then fusion would be a 90 very good but XL was the peak of wipeout.!!!!
Old 06-27-02, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll have to agree that XL is the best in the series. Maybe it's because XL was the first Wipeout game that I played, but it will always hold a special place in my heart.

Wipeout Fusion is a very solid game though, and I'm enjoying it a lot. I think the track designs in Fusion are great. There seems to be a lot of different things in it other than just the typical arcade and circuit, and some of the new weapons like the Gravity Bomb are awesome. I'm not a big fan of the music in this one like I was with XL, but the fact that I really don't listen to techno music like I did years ago might have something to do with it.

If you're a Wipeout fan, Wipeout Fusion is definately a game to add to your library.