Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Two versions of GTA3 for PS2?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-02, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two versions of GTA3 for PS2?

I have heard a rumor.

The rumor is that two versions of GTA3 exist for PS2, the first version (the originally released) was supposedly had features that are no longer available on the version that now grace our store shelves.

Did they ever pull the game off store shelves and replace it with a toned down version?

This rumor is coupled with the fact that I can't seem to get the "gore" code to work on my copy that was purchased from Circuit City last week. Every other code seems to work though...

could someone post the gore code? I tried Ign's and gamespot's version multiple times and they both didn't seem to work. Maybe they eliminated this feature for the toned down version?

Thanks guys.
Old 06-25-02, 06:08 PM

I doubt that rumor is true. But when you enter the gore code, it won't actually say it's been entered like other codes, it just works. So enter it and try to blow a couple of old ladies' heads off. If it doesn't work...try again.
Old 06-25-02, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I believe that there is only one version out in stores.

What is the gore code all about? This is the first time I've heard of it.
Old 06-25-02, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by LethaL Nemesis
I believe that there is only one version out in stores.

What is the gore code all about? This is the first time I've heard of it.
Supposedly it makes the game ridiculously gory. You can blow of limbs and people run down the street spurting blood. Hopefully I can get this one to work!

According to Ign the code is:

Pump Up the Gore

To increase the level of sticky, icky gore, enter the following code during gameplay: SQUARE, L1, CIRCLE, DOWN, L1, R1, TRIANGLE, RIGHT, L1, X.
Old 06-25-02, 09:43 PM

The game was never really pulled off the shelves in the U.S., but it reportedly was in Australia, due to the violent themes. Regarding a gore code, I have heard nothing of it. I don't think the game needs it anyhow.
Old 06-26-02, 01:26 AM

The gore code that has been described in this thread sounds a lot like the gore code for State of Emergency, which was made by the same company. But it isn't even 1/10th as good as GTA III.
Old 06-26-02, 08:41 AM

the Gore code works fine and I got my GTA3 about a year after it came out. It isnt really gore, just makes heads/legs/arms removable. SO if you shoot a bum in the leg with the sniper rifle, he hops a bit, then falls down. Its not much, but is still better than nothing I guess.
Old 06-26-02, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by drbuns
The game was never really pulled off the shelves in the U.S., but it reportedly was in Australia, due to the violent themes. Regarding a gore code, I have heard nothing of it. I don't think the game needs it anyhow.
It was taken off the shelves in Australia and then replaced with an edited version. I'm not sure exactly what was changed but I know they took out the "health regeneration" trick with the hookers.
Old 06-26-02, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The gore code is the bomb. It only works with the high powered guns, unlike the PC version where any weapon will blow a guy's arm off.
Old 06-26-02, 09:59 AM
fab

I got my GTA3 about a year after it came out.
Didn't this game come out at the end of October of 2001? It's been out all of 8 months. I guess if you _just_ bought the game now and rounded way up.. it's about a year.

--
fab
Old 06-26-02, 12:20 PM

Just an update.

I did finally get the code to work. As was said before it only makes limbs removable, and doesn't let you know if you entered it correctly. It works and is worth trying if you own the game.

The rocket launcher scatters body parts all over the place!
Old 06-26-02, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Australia is the country where it was pulled and then a modified version was later released.

Chris