Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Star Wars: Rogue Leader (Gamecube) the most overhyped game?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 06-16-02, 09:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Lord. I hope I'm not alone here.

I recently picked up Rogue Leader for the GameCube after reading countless reviews and receiving reccomendations from everyone here to the greasy faced fat Electronics Botique employees (what a bunch of dorks )

Anyways....I spent my day with it and while I must say it is somewhat exciting, it seems to lack so much. With only ten levels, it seems so ridiculously short. Yes, I know there's a ton of rewards and secrets etc. but this game is certainly one of the most over-hyped I've ever seen.

Guess I'm just not geek enough....oh well.
Old 06-16-02, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't like it much either. I wouldn't say it was overhyped though, it just wasn't my cup of tea.
Old 06-16-02, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think you have to be a geek to like the game. It's definitely one of the best Star Wars games I've played in just about every area. Gameplay, graphics, and sound. If you didn't like it then you didn't like it. That happens with every game.
Old 06-16-02, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought the game was great and still bust it out on ocassion. I can understand someone not liking the game, but that doesn't really mean it's over hyped. The game plays great. IMO overhyping something is when a game promises something huge and fails to deliver.

My pick: Dikatana

Also I believe there are 15 levels. So you are missing 33% of the game.
Old 06-16-02, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assumed you have no taste, being a Laker fan and all, so Im not surprised.
Old 06-16-02, 10:43 PM
Retired

It's not over hyped, you just didn't like it.
Old 06-16-02, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No the game is not over hyped in fact there were not many ads for it as I recall. It is one of the best Star Wars games on the market though (next to Jedi Knight 2). You didnt like it thats cool. Apples or oranges its all about what you prefer, and not hype.
Old 06-16-02, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

IMO this is a great game and probably the best SW game ever.
Old 06-17-02, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the game.
Old 06-17-02, 05:58 AM

I didn't like the game. The flight engine is seriously flawed and anyone who's played the X-wing and TIE fighter games on the PC will agree with me. The game plays on a 2-dimensional plane with gravity physics. That's great for planet levels, but the space levels are horrendously difficult. Also, the AI was horrible, TIEs aren't meant to kamikaze.

Good eye candy, shoddy control and game engine. Also, no depth.
Old 06-17-02, 06:22 AM

Originally posted by darkside
I don't think you have to be a geek to like the game. It's definitely one of the best Star Wars games I've played in just about every area. Gameplay, graphics, and sound. If you didn't like it then you didn't like it. That happens with every game.
To me, it is the SAME games as what was released on the N64... It has basically been given updated graphics and that is it...

Best Star Wars game ever??? No Way!

The X-Wing games on the PC were WAY better...

Dark Forces on the PC was a WAY WAY better game...

As with many of the Cube titles, this one is just another been there... Done that...

(Just like WaveRace, Mario, Smash Brothers, etc.)
Old 06-17-02, 07:57 AM

I still take this game out and play it from time to time. I've seen no Star Wars game with the sheer volume of enemies as the Battle of Endor level. That's pure gaming bliss for me right there.
Old 06-17-02, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by gr8vette

To me, it is the SAME games as what was released on the N64... It has basically been given updated graphics and that is it...

Best Star Wars game ever??? No Way!

The X-Wing games on the PC were WAY better...

Dark Forces on the PC was a WAY WAY better game...

I didn't say best Star Wars game ever. I said one of the best Star Wars games I have played, and it is. I rarely play PC games, so I've never played any one the ones you listed.

The question is was it overhyped, and the answer is no.

BTW, most PC games have always seemed like 'been there done that' remakes to me as well, that's why I don't play them. You've played one FPS or real time strategy game on the PC and it seems like you've played them all. I find a lot more variety on a console like the Game Cube, but to each his own I guess.
Old 06-17-02, 09:02 AM

Originally posted by darkside

You've played one FPS or real time strategy game on the PC and it seems like you've played them all. I find a lot more variety on a console like the Game Cube, but to each his own I guess.
I like my GameCube. Not as much as my Xbox, but I will continue to buy cool games for it.

I may agree with you somewhat on RTS games all being the same. I stick to Age of Kings because I believe it is the best of what is out there now. I hope Warcraft 3 will change that... The addition of Hero's and RPG elements sounds very interesting.

FPS games all the same? Mmmm, Maybe. But I still love them... There are so many good ones...

Mike
Old 06-17-02, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the game but it's too hard for my tastes. I can't get past like the 5th level without cheating. I still can't finish some of the levels as I also get a "Mission Failed". As far as the flight engine, I agree, it's annoying for anyone used to Tie Fighter or X-Wing on the PC. However, it does match well with the controls(which I don't think an X-Wing style flight engine would). I never did think of the gravity thing so that's no big deal. The biggest complaint I have is that it's really hard to see enemy ships without constantly holding down the button for the targeting computer. It's a fun game but it really frustrates me.
Old 06-17-02, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by superboyreturns
I didn't like the game. The flight engine is seriously flawed and anyone who's played the X-wing and TIE fighter games on the PC will agree with me. The game plays on a 2-dimensional plane with gravity physics. That's great for planet levels, but the space levels are horrendously difficult. Also, the AI was horrible, TIEs aren't meant to kamikaze.
I agree. I like the game well enough, but I LOVED "TIE Fighter" (I played through that several times). I liked the feeling in those PC games of being able to fly anywhere, without a "boundary." The #1 thing that pisses me off in Rogue Leader is hitting that damn boundary, having the game turn me around, and then crashing me into some damn TIE fighter.

My enjoyment of this game improved quite a bit, though, when I used the code to use the TIE Advanced in (almost) any level. Sort of like how much more enjoyable TIE Fighter became once I got the TIE Defender. Or Skies of Arcadia, when I got the Delphinus.

I'm just a sucker for badass death machines.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 06-17-02 at 12:06 PM.
Old 06-17-02, 12:11 PM
Retired

Originally posted by dfbennett
I can't get past like the 5th level without cheating.

That level it like many in the game. It seems impossible at first, but once you figure out what your supposed to do and how to do it, it's easy.

Use the B-wing (the default ship). Head for the shield generators (the round things on each side of the top of the bridge. Use you Ion cannon (hold the button down until your crosshairs turn blue, then release) on the generator, then pound it with lasers, or 1 or 2 torpedos, until it blows up. Now do the same on the other one.

Now, fly straight down and then up. The dome on the bottom of the star destroyer is the main reactor, your next target. Again hit it with the Ion cannon, and then a few torpedos.

Now just head for the bridge. Use the targeting computer to find the command deck, which shows up on the targeting computer as a small yellow rectangle. Take it out with a torpedo or 2, or easiest of all, just crash right into in kamikaze style (it won't count as a life lost for you).

If you're still getting blown to bits, take out some of the guns before doing any of the above.

Piece of cake. One of the easier levels once you know how to do it.
Old 06-17-02, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I liked it the first 3 weeks...after that it sucks. zero replay value
Old 06-17-02, 05:25 PM

I played through the entire game, earned all 15 golds, got 15 Ace medals, and all the secrets. It has replay value, but the game isn't really worth replaying at times.
Old 06-17-02, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts
Am I alone in thinking the game ran insanely SLOW????? I was climbing up the walls asking myself where the sense of speed was in the game. It was the first game I picked up when I bought my Gamecube on release day and I was very disappointed. The graphics were outstanding, but the gameplay was not my cup of tea. Anyone want to trade me for it?
Lol yeah way to sell it.....
Old 06-17-02, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by spainlinx0
Lol yeah way to sell it.....
Does this milk taste spoiled to you?