Search this Thread

Old 06-13-02, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Warcraft III is gold!

Press Release from Yahoo

Press Release
SOURCE: Blizzard Entertainment

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos Goes Gold -- Street Date Announced
Blizzard Prepares for the Biggest Worldwide Launch in PC Gaming History On July 3, 2002

IRVINE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--June 13, 2002--Blizzard Entertainment®, a studio of the games division of Vivendi Universal Publishing, today announced that Warcraft® III: Reign of Chaos(TM), the eagerly awaited sequel to the company's #1-selling series of games, has gone gold.

With record-breaking initial orders of 4.5 million copies, the game will be available at retail outlets worldwide in multiple languages beginning on July 3, 2002.

"We're very excited to announce that development of Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos has been completed and that gamer and retail demand will make this the largest launch in gaming history," said Mike Morhaime, Blizzard Entertainment president and co-founder.

"When we set out to create the next installment of the Warcraft series, we wanted to design something both unique and fun to play. We're extremely proud of the game we've created and we believe gamers will be very pleased when they see what we have in store for them."

In Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, players revisit the war-torn world of Azeroth a generation after the end of the Second War between the Orcs and the Humans. The fragile peace that had since settled over the land is now on the verge of being shattered, for a dark power has returned after thousands of years to carry out its nefarious plans.

Two new races -- the Undead Scourge and the Night Elves -- emerge to join the fray, as players follow a single epic storyline through four successive campaigns. Players can also take the battle into their own hands in an enhanced multiplayer mode, playable on local area networks and exclusively over the Internet on Battle.net®, the largest online service of its kind in the world.

A focus on concentrated battles between groups of mighty warriors brings an exciting new blend of action to the franchise. In the single-player game, players follow the adventures of Legendary Heroes, who grow more formidable with experience. As the game progresses, these Heroes are able to learn spells and special abilities and acquire powerful magic items.

Heroes advance even faster in multiplayer games, adding to the intensity of strategic combat between rival powers. Expanded multiplayer options include the ability to share units and resources with allies and to compete anonymously against other players of similar skill levels.

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos also includes the most powerful and full-featured World Editor ever released for a Blizzard game. The World Editor puts the same tools used by Blizzard's designers into the hands of players, enabling them to create 3D maps and unique missions, with scripts for units, spells, and action-packed events.

Players will also be able to produce their own in-game cinematics, using flexible camera controls and incorporating .mp3-based sound files.

-Naan
Old 06-13-02, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A friend had the beta. It looked interesting. Seemed a bit too much like Starcraft for my tastes, though, and slightly unbalanced (it was a beta, so that's not a big deal, as long as it was corrected), but I didn't play it so that's just an impression.
Old 06-13-02, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
A friend had the beta. It looked interesting. Seemed a bit too much like Starcraft for my tastes, though
I love StarCraft and all, but let's get the history timeline in balance here. StarCraft was a bit like WarCraft 2, it's precusor. And if you really want to get technical, all RTS games are based off of Dune II.
Old 06-13-02, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
A friend had the beta. It looked interesting. Seemed a bit too much like Starcraft for my tastes, though, and slightly unbalanced (it was a beta, so that's not a big deal, as long as it was corrected), but I didn't play it so that's just an impression.
Lets get who's biting off who. Star craft was maybe the more acceptable of the genre's. but star craft was a major rip of the fox films, Aliens and predator. Hell, the carriers even state quotes.

war craft III looks pretty good. well worth a try even though I'm more into FPS.
Old 06-13-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by AgtFox
I love StarCraft and all, but let's get the history timeline in balance here. StarCraft was a bit like WarCraft 2, it's precusor. And if you really want to get technical, all RTS games are based off of Dune II.
I know. I'm saying, Warcraft III, to me, in the brief time that I saw it, felt more like Starcraft than Warcraft II. Actually, I liked Warcraft II better than Starcraft, but that was more because of the setting than the play mechanics. I'm a gamer from the CGA days, so I know the timelines. I'm just not very good at phrasing my posts.

Last edited by Breakfast with Girls; 06-13-02 at 02:22 PM.
Old 06-28-02, 11:44 AM
Cool New Member

Amazon Share the Love: Warcraft Deluxe Edition

I'll be ordering this from Amazon.com tonight 6-28, if anyone wants some love for this email me at: [email protected]

$74.99 for the Game, Artwork book, CD Soundtrack, and DVD of the cinematics is worth it. Although this is more than they charged for the Diablo II deluxe.