Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

My trifecta is complete!

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-02, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My trifecta is complete!

I just got my Xbox yesterday. Now I have all three next-gen consoles (that they're still making games for. I got the Xbox, 3 games and an extra controller for $230 used. One of my girlfriend's co-workers got it for his son for Christmas, but took it away when he got his report card in February. His son hasn't raised his grades since so he decided to sell it, and I lucked out. The games it came with are Halo, DOA3, and Silent Hill 2. I picked up Jet Set Radio Future over the weekend, and I'm probably going to be picking up Amped this week (it's on sale at CompUSA for $20). My friend got me the hi-def pack for the Xbox which gives you component video output with progressive scan, and optical digital output for Dolby Digital and DTS sound. With the Xbox hooked up to my home theater it's gonna be hard to go back to my computer. I enjoy sitting on my couch in front of my big TV and awsome surround sound playing console games compared to my sitting in my awful folding chair in front of my puny 19" monitor and stereo speakers playing computer games. For the cost of my GameCube, Xbox and 13 games I could have upgraded my computer. Right now there aren't any games forcing me to upgrade my computer. It's starting to get to that point, but there has to be a killer game that'll make me do it. I think Neverwinter Nights might be that game (maybe). I'm at the point where I wait and see. I rarely buy anything when it first comes out anymore unless there is a very good sale. I buy my console and PC games for $30-$35 and I buy DVDs for $10. I see no reason to pay more unless it's something I have to have immediately, and more and more I find myself waiting. There are PC games that I like that will probably never make it to a console and I will still play those on my PC, but with all of the cool console games I see myself playing on my PC less and less. For now an awsome (must play) game has to come out on the PC to make me go back (NWN?), but I think I will stick to consoles for now.

Additionally, my friend has been playing Morrowind on his PC. I don't know how because every time I see him playing it looks like a slide show, and all of the settings are turned to the lowest they can go. His PC is a P3 633MHz with 128MB PC133 RAM and a GeForce2MX video card. He asked me what it would cost to upgrade his computer so that he could play with all of the settings turned up. I came up with the figure of around $500. He would have to get a new CPU (AMD AthlonXP 2100+) a new motherboard (MSI KT333) new RAM (256MB PC2700) a new video card (GeForce3 Ti200) and a new case with a 300W minimum power supply. He could instead get a new Xbox for $199 and Morrowind for Xbox for $49. So for half the price of upgrading his computer he could get the game he wants to play and the console to play it on, and play it on his 32" TV in Dolby Digital Surround Sound. This is the Dilemma.

Also, he's not sure about using the controller to play his game as he prefers the keyboard and mouse (Microsoft has stated that they will never release a keyboard or a mouse for the Xbox). I also prefer the keyboard and mouse combo, but what good does it do for a game that chopps and skips around? It makes you want to smash your mouse and chuck your keyboard into your monitor.

I thought when Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight came out and I built my own PC to play it that I would never seriously get back into console games. My Playstation was gathering dust so I gave it to my sister and her family, but now I've been enjoying games that I don't have to install and that rarely if ever crash. I can turn on my console, pop in the game and start playing. There are no new drivers to download and no compatibility issues. No reformatting the hard drive to reinstall the OS. I find myself actually playing games more instead of trying to get my games to play.

I know this was long. Sorry. I had some stuff to say.
Old 06-12-02, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Congrats on your Xbox purchase!

Stay away from multiplayer Halo or else... you'll get hooked.
Old 06-12-02, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't have an XBox and I'm not sure I really want one yet(as I already have a GC and PS2) but I completely agree with your sentiments on PC gaming. Atleast on consoles the game will run in a playable form even if they don't look as nice as their pc counterparts. Plus you can't have your friends over to play PC games. Enjoy Halo, it's a blast I'm glad I was able to play through it when I was borrowing my brother's XBox. It's a very well done game.
Old 06-12-02, 05:40 PM
Mod Emeritus

Have fun with Halo, and make sure to play on Heroic if you want to get the best level of enjoyment out of it. Great choice, the trifecta rules.
Old 06-14-02, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by dfbennett
I don't have an XBox and I'm not sure I really want one yet(as I already have a GC and PS2) but I completely agree with your sentiments on PC gaming. Atleast on consoles the game will run in a playable form even if they don't look as nice as their pc counterparts. Plus you can't have your friends over to play PC games. Enjoy Halo, it's a blast I'm glad I was able to play through it when I was borrowing my brother's XBox. It's a very well done game.

PC gaming is not too bad, though I did used to be a subscriber to PC Gamer, I'm more into PS2 now. You can't have your friends over to play PC games but you can play them online, thats why I still love PC games - Counter-strike, RTCW and SOF2 is what I play and can't wait for Warcraft III. OTher then multiplayer games I usually if a game is multiplatform I'd get it for PS2.
Old 06-14-02, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I picked up an Xbox over the weekend along with Morrowind. I already own a PS2.

The only problem is that work is really getting in the way of Morrowind. That game is really good!

I'm also upgrading my receiver next week, so I'll be enjoying my PS2/Xbox in 5.1 style! I can't wait.
Old 06-14-02, 11:27 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by BigDave
I picked up an Xbox over the weekend along with Morrowind. I already own a PS2.

The only problem is that work is really getting in the way of Morrowind. That game is really good!

I'm also upgrading my receiver next week, so I'll be enjoying my PS2/Xbox in 5.1 style! I can't wait.
Good choices Big Dave! pssssttt... very few PS2 games support 5.1 surround, but all Xbox games do, so enjoy!

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 06-14-02 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-14-02, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I find myself playing on my PC less and less. I used to go to LAN parties frequently, but now I can just take my Xbox (if my friend has an extra TV). I hope Xbox Live does well cuz then I could sit in my living room in my home theater and play with my friends online. I'm looking forward to the voice communication. I just hope it doesn't lag.
Old 06-14-02, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

personally,pc games are where its at, console games are fun distractions but dont have the depth and long lasting ness as a good pc game (generalization)

IMHO

but i enjoy my cube (if i ever had any new games to play)