Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Any reviews yet of Wrestlemania X8?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-02, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Any reviews yet of Wrestlemania X8?

I'm looking forward to this game, but if it turns out to be another Smackdown or RAW I will be pissed.

Any reviews up yet for this game? I'm hoping it lives up to the gameplay of the classic N64 titles.
Old 06-03-02, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am really looking forward to this one since it is the first WWF/WWE game to have RVD, Booker T, Tajiri, and other wrestlers that were added to the roster since Vince bought WCW. I preordered this last week at EB Games.com with a coupon for free overnight shipping that I think has expired since then.
Old 06-03-02, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would be hard for a review to be up since we still have over a week before the game comes out. Everything I have heard and seen makes it sound akin to the AKI/Asmik games that came out for N64 (the best wrestling games ever IMO). The engine has been tweaked though...that can be an omen or a curse (look at RAW on X-Box).
Old 06-03-02, 10:22 AM

I haven't read any true reviews yet, but I have found some impressions from someone who played it at E3. Unfortunately, it seems as though it plays identical to the Smackdown series. In that case, I'm not buying the game. Maybe a rental.

http://www.planetgamecube.com/impres...profile&id=337
Old 06-03-02, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Why...Why...Why...

I hate the Smackdown Engine...and only 4 grapples?

THQ F'ed up by taking AKI off the case...
Old 06-03-02, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Leatherballs
I haven't read any true reviews yet, but I have found some impressions from someone who played it at E3. Unfortunately, it seems as though it plays identical to the Smackdown series. In that case, I'm not buying the game. Maybe a rental.
That sucks, glad I have not pre-ordered it yet then. I think PlanetGameCube is an excellent on-line magazine and I take their views to heart even though they are a "biased" site because they follow only Nintendo.
Old 06-03-02, 11:56 AM

E3 impressions

I played one match of WX8 @ E3. Obviously I did not play long enough to give any sort of detailed impressions, but here's what I did come away with.

It definitely does not feel like a THQ wrestling game on a Nintendo system. For those of you that are familiar with the game engine differences between the SmackDown (PS) series and Asmik-developed (N64) wrestling titles, you'll probably agree that the latter has always played better. Well, WX8 is, as many have described it before, a hybrid of the two systems where moves are not grapple-based. The game, however, does provide more freedom than straight-up button combination moves akin to the SmackDown series.

The controls were fairly clunky in the version that was at E3. I am unsure if I was playing a final build of the game or if it was work-in-progress build. I hope controls were smoothed out before the game went gold.

The character animation in better than that in RAW (Xbox). Unfortunately, as whole, the wrestlers don't look as good as those seen in the Xbox game, save facial enhancements on less popular wrestlers (i.e. Bubba Dudley).

Again, I played one five minute match and hesitate to go into detail as I'd hate to misrepresent the game. I'd wait for some reviews to come in before plunking down money that may better be spent on Lost Kingdoms or Bomberman Generation.
Old 06-03-02, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Moved from the buy list to the rental list until I can be sure. I guess I'm going to be stuck playing No Mercy and Wrestlemania 2000 on the N64 for a long time.
Old 06-03-02, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

About the controls, it's said here that it plays like Smackdown. the only Smackdown I played was JBI for PS2 where you had about .0000001 of a second to perform most of the special moves if you were lucky enough to be in the right position when the opponent is staggering. Is it known if it's the same for this version? Super suck if it is . (all I could ever do in JBI was Jericho's Lionsault)
Old 06-04-02, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by darkside
Moved from the buy list to the rental list until I can be sure. I guess I'm going to be stuck playing No Mercy and Wrestlemania 2000 on the N64 for a long time.
Yep, same here...rental for me now as well. Hopefully ED will be better.
Old 06-04-02, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: E3 impressions

Originally posted by ScottMan

The controls were fairly clunky in the version that was at E3. I am unsure if I was playing a final build of the game or if it was work-in-progress build. I hope controls were smoothed out before the game went gold.
If it's coming out this soon after E3, the version you played was likely the final build.
Old 06-04-02, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ugh - I still don't see how this is possible for THQ to screw this up, again (WWF Raw on XBox being the first time). Simply give me the same game as No Mercy, with better graphics/sound and updated wrestlers and storylines. Why is this so difficult to do? EA's been using this strategy with Madden since 1991! I'll keep my pre-order going for now, but it's not looking good for someone like me who doesn't really like the Smackdown series.
Old 06-04-02, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Daryl
Ugh - I still don't see how this is possible for THQ to screw this up, again (WWF Raw on XBox being the first time). Simply give me the same game as No Mercy, with better graphics/sound and updated wrestlers and storylines. Why is this so difficult to do? EA's been using this strategy with Madden since 1991! I'll keep my pre-order going for now, but it's not looking good for someone like me who doesn't really like the Smackdown series.
It is pretty simple, you have different developers working on the different wrestling games. With RAW it was Anchor, with Smackdown/Wrestlemania X8 it is Yukes and an off-shoot of Yukes. With the best wrestling games (No Mercy, Wrestlemania 2000, etc.) it was AKI/Asmik who evidentally are no longer in the wrestling game.

For some reason these developers want to create their own engine instead of building from what many consider to be the best out there. From all the buildup I got the feeling that Wrestlemania X8 was going to build upon the AKI/Asmik engine and add some extra things...now it sounds like they built from Smackdown (the worst engine in my opinion).

It's beginning to become apparant that we will never see another wrestling game as good as the ones AKI/Asmik made.
Old 06-06-02, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Bumped for Thunderball
Old 06-06-02, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd like to wait and see guys.

From what I've been hearing, it's sort of a combination of the 2 engines.
There is a front grapple system(which the SD series sorely lacks), although not as advanced as the AKI/Asmik series.
Very arcade like feel with controls(could be good or bad depending on how they pull it off)

I think the only thing that pisses me off is the lack of some of the WWF/WCW's licensed music. They own all the stuff, USE IT!

Regardless, come June 10, I'll be leading Nash and Hall down the ramp
Old 06-06-02, 11:22 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trust me, your humor was not lost on me. Funniest post I've read this year... I very much agree.
Old 06-06-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 06-06-02, 01:13 PM
Mod Emeritus

Seems like the older arcade wrestling games were fun. Remember the one with The Million Dollar Man as the last guy? Or the one with the fat guy in the blue unitard and the guys with football bads w/spikes were the champions? Sure it wasn't 3d graphics, but it was fun!

Last edited by Gallant Pig; 06-06-02 at 03:15 PM.
Old 06-07-02, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the IGN Insiders out there...there is a relatively in-depth look at WMX8 today. The very last sentence says something to the effect of, "Come back tomorrow for the full review". So, that means the review comes tonight more than likely.

Early indications are not very good if I go by some posts in the IGN forums from IGN staffers.
Old 06-07-02, 04:42 PM
Mod Emeritus

So much for waiting until X8 after that stinker that is Raw.
Old 06-07-02, 07:29 PM
Banned

I am so glad that it is a smackdown type game! I am now more happier than ever! As Smackdown JBI & Know Your Role are the best games of all wrestling games as of now! All that junky monkey doodoo from the N64 just blowed turdnuts... I am happily buying this game on the 11th!!! + I have a $5 coupon for it @ best buy!!! Yippee!!!
Old 06-07-02, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jim_mailman1962
I am so glad that it is a smackdown type game! I am now more happier than ever! As Smackdown JBI & Know Your Role are the best games of all wrestling games as of now! All that junky monkey doodoo from the N64 just blowed turdnuts... I am happily buying this game on the 11th!!! + I have a $5 coupon for it @ best buy!!! Yippee!!!
If you like the Smackdown engine that's great, but the N64 games definitely did not, well what ever that rant was.

Hopefully Wrestlemania X8 will be worth buying for me personally, but I will have to rent it first.
Old 06-08-02, 09:20 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

IGN posted their review:

Presentation

Stiff animation and the lack of a good deal of licensed music dulls the presentation. The list of wrestlers is impressive, but without proper entrances you can't help but be disappointed. 7.0

Graphics

Runs fluidly at 60 fps with multitexturing, cloth effects, and even with four grapplers on the screen. Character models could stand to be improved. 7.0

Sound

Sure there's licensed music, but the rest will make your ears bleed. Needs a lot of work. 4.0

Gameplay

X8 is totally unique with its counter system, but too close to the home called Smackdown! This should have been the sequel to No Mercy -- it's not. Numerous collision detection and other limitations. 6.0

Lasting Appeal

Multiplayer-focused. Questing for the belts is really only useful for unlocking wrestlers. Once that's over, the 42 wrestlers are all for multiplayer. Get some friends. 5.0

OVERALL SCORE (not an average) 7.0
Old 06-08-02, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok I read there is no NWO theme...what the hell?

Ok half the point...ok scratch that...the entire point of a WWF licenced game is...uh..the licence...unless gameplay is spectacular, which is rare for a WWF game.

Gamecubers, give LOW a chance, it is a good game, yeah it has some serious flaws, but once you learn the control system it is a fun game. At least rent it before buying Wrestlemania.
Old 06-08-02, 07:22 PM
Suspended

No offense, but I rented Legends of wrestling, it blew chunks. It's clunky and poorly done. Even if this Wrestlemania game is mediocre that would be a step up from Legends of Wrestling....nice concept, horrible execution.

OzFan23

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.