DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Resident Evil Code Veronica-Am I screwed? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/210328-resident-evil-code-veronica-am-i-screwed.html)

Cardiff Giant11 05-24-02 08:24 PM

Resident Evil Code Veronica-Am I screwed?

So I picked up Resident Evil Code Veronica for the PS2 since I never owned a Dreamcast. Anyhow, I'm at the part where you have to fight tyrant in the back of the cargo plane. Here's my problem. I have no bow gun arrows(or explosive arrows), no grenades of any kind, and only 15 handgun bullets. I have full health and one first aid spray(no herbs). Anyhow, I can't beat him. I can hit him with the catapult twice but no more. He keeps killing me. I've read that if you can hit him with the catapult 3 or 4 times he'll die but I can't see anyway I can last that long. Basically, can it be done given what I have? If not, my other save is from a while back so going back is not really an option. I guess if I can't beat him it's either play from the beginning or just get rid of this game. So am I screwed or can it be done?

Bobubott 05-24-02 08:46 PM

I hate to say it, but I think you're pretty much screwed. Maybe it's possible to do it with no ammo, but I think you need to have a pretty good stockpile of ammo going into it. I remember watching my roommate having to start over from the beginning because of this problem. I never even bothered playing because I hated the ammo situation as a whole.

sniper308 05-24-02 10:12 PM

I had the same problem on the DC version, and yes I replayed everything up until that point, conserving ammo all the way just to defeat this part.

Cardiff Giant11 05-24-02 11:54 PM

ugh that's what I was afraid of. Capcom really should have forseen this problem and put some ammo somewhere in the cockpit. My brother claims he was able to do it on the Dreamcast with limited ammo so I'm gonna give him a crack at it. If not, i think I may just sell the game or play through in a few weeks. I'm getting a gamecube tomorrow and I'm planning on picking up RE so I'll probably be pretty occupied with that for a while.

IIG 05-25-02 12:59 PM

Man it sucks just to hear about that part of the game again. Without doubt, that is the hardest thing to conquer ever in a Resident Evil, and it ranks up there as the hardest single event in any game. It took me somewhere between 3-5 days to successfully do that. It's funny though, because generally, when you finally do it, it's at a time where you had no idea that it would be possible during that attempt. I hope RE Zero or RE 4 have nothing like that...

mijang 05-25-02 01:10 PM

Originally posted by IIG
It's funny though, because generally, when you finally do it, it's at a time where you had no idea that it would be possible during that attempt.
so true

sniper308 05-25-02 03:24 PM

It really did not take that long to play through again, I conserved everything I could up to that point & I went in there loaded for bear & it was still fairly tough. You might be able to do it with minimal ammo, but I could not swing it.

Snake Plissken 05-25-02 06:39 PM

Code Veronica isnt really that hard. You just have to play smart. Conserve everything. Learn to use your knife and youll never need to use the pistol again. The knife kicks ass! You dont have to kill every single zombie or creature that shows up on the screen. Fight only the battles that you must and run away the rest.

I love this game and just talking about it makes me want to play it again. As for the part youre in with the Tyrant. Yep, youre screwed. You dont need to have the explosive arrows.... just a weapon powerful enough to push him back.

Cardiff Giant11 05-26-02 12:28 AM

Well as I said, I picked up a Gamecube today and Resident Evil. I figure after I'm done with that, I'll go back and start Code Veronica again. This time I'll be more conservative with my supplies.
And Snake, a big middle finger to your sig ;) (take a guess why I feel this way)

IIG 05-26-02 02:38 AM

Originally posted by dfbennett
And Snake, a big middle finger to your sig ;) (take a guess why I feel this way)
You too? I was gritting my teeth reading his sig... Our reasons are probably different though, because I'm a hardcore Duke fan...

Cardiff Giant11 05-26-02 12:35 PM

Originally posted by IIG

You too? I was gritting my teeth reading his sig... Our reasons are probably different though, because I'm a hardcore Duke fan...

Then your problem lies with Indiana this year. Although my hatred for Duke began in the late 80's and will last for eternity ;)

steve_c_n 05-26-02 03:03 PM

I can beat the Tyrant with out any ammo at all. You need to play smart as the others have said. You need to keep it occupied near the back of the plane by running away before he charges you. You sound like you have enough health to do this. If he is near the back of the plane when the button is hit, the Tyrant goes flying out. I was suprised to see me do this in 2-3 tried when I don't even know if my friend who was playing it a few weeks before me has passed this point.

Steve

mixalot007 05-26-02 10:47 PM

If you do decide to sell it I may be interested...

Cardiff Giant11 05-26-02 11:58 PM

Originally posted by mixalot007
If you do decide to sell it I may be interested...
at this point i'm not sure. I'll let you know if I do though.

IIG 05-27-02 12:15 AM

Then your problem lies with Indiana this year. Although my hatred for Duke began in the late 80's and will last for eternity ;)

No, I hate Maryland more than Indiana. They stole Duke's ACC crown last year, and embarrassed the team at times. I just can't stand for that! ;)

To keep this topic related... RE Code Veronica is a kick ass game (though next to worst in the series, before Nemesis)!

Cardiff Giant11 06-12-02 03:50 PM

To bring this thread back from the dead, I played through Code Veronica again and was easily able to get past
Spoiler:
tyrant in the cargo plane. Now I think I'm screwed again. I forgot to get the assault rifle in the Antartic base so I could leave it for Chris. There is now a fire there that I can't get past. Will Chris be able to get the assault rifle later or should I just go back to my save file at the start of the antartic base so I can get it and leave it in the box for him? If he can get it, will he need it earlier or can I wait and just have him get it?
Thanks

happyday 06-13-02 03:59 PM

I had the same problem getting past that peice of crap and no matter what anyone says, if you don't have enough ammo you can't keep him in the back of the plane long enough to push the eject button. Or maybe I just didn't have the skills to dodge him.

Then I played on and had left my fire extinguisher in the metal detector box at the beginning. Screwed again. I thought because it was empty I would have no further use of it. Lame. Good game, but not worth playing through for the thrd time.

Snake Plissken 06-13-02 08:43 PM

Originally posted by happyday
maybe I just didn't have the skills to dodge him.
Thats it.

not worth playing through for the thrd time
I highly disagree.

Will Chris be able to get the assault rifle later or should I just go back to my save file at the start of the antartic base so I can get it and leave it in the box for him?
Yes, you can get it later. Will you need it? That depends on how well you play.

happyday 06-13-02 10:07 PM

Originally posted by Snake Plissken

Thats it.

I highly disagree.

I guess if you have the time OR interest to play the same game numerous times, you probably would be able to figure out how to dodge that monster. Props to you, however from what I have seen many people have had the same issue at this point in the game.