Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Importing an Xbox from UK - will it work easily?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-02, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so the title is a little misleading but "I'm moving to the US from England, should I bring my Xbox with me and how easy will it be to get it converted?" is a little long for the subject line.

So, I have an XBox, and I am moving to the US in June. I'm planning on having my box chipped so the games I've already bought in PAL format won't be wasted when all I can get are NTSC. However, I understand that I'll have to have some other modifications done (electricity conversion, but I don't know anything about that).

What would I need to have done and how much would it cost? And if the Box is going to drop to $200, will it be worth my while, or should I just sell the PAL one and pick everything up over there?

Thanks for any help

Mark
Old 05-14-02, 02:26 PM
Cool New Member

PAL to NTSC

Now that the PS2 has hit $199 here in the states you can expect MS will be close behind so cost may in fact be your deciding factor.

The problem is both output format and electrical current.

You'll need to get at least a converter to convert to our electrical standards, and I'm not entirely sure if that's going to be enough.
You'll also need to find someway of converting the PAL output signal to an NTSC signal so that it will display properly on a US TV. Converters like that can cost $100 easily plus cables.

Personally I'd wait and see if MS does drop the Xbox to $199 US and just buy one. Then sell your PAL Xbox before you leave for whatever the equivalent of $199 US is.
Old 05-14-02, 02:49 PM

I knew that there was another issue other than the electricity, but my DVD player over there (or here for you guys!) runs multiregion on the TV OK (or it seems to), it's just an APEX too, so would that mean that my TV works PAL?

That said, the XBox will have little resell value over there if the buyers going to need a lot of gizmo's, so it's probably going to be for the best to sell here, esp if it does drop to $200. Still, if anyone else has anything to add, or experiences with running Euro/Uk devices in the US, I'd be grateful to hear them

Mark
Old 05-15-02, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my advice.. sell your package there before you move! You will not be able to use it in the US. I have been in Israel for 2 years now and nearly all tv's, vcrs, dvd players, etc are multi-zone. But in the US it is only NTSC. You won't be able to play your PAL xbox on an American TV. Now if your TV is multi-zone and will work on 110V you can bring it and use it along with your xbox but your games will still have to be bought in the UK and shipped over to you (unless you add the chip to your xbox). If you TV is PAL only, it will not work here.

My advice again is sell out over there now and just pick up an xbox here for $200 (price cut today ) in the end you'll be glad you did.